The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-16-2012, 01:44 PM   #1
A.Bursell

Ford 8-Lug Wheels?

Still waiting for the title paperwork to come through so I can buy the 72 K20 I'm after.

Been toying with the idea of changing wheels, as I'm not the biggest fan of plain steel wheels. I'd like to dress it up a little. But not go ultra modern. I like the looks of the late model Chevy wheels like a lot of members seem to have here, but something a little different caught my eye.

I believe these are wheels from a 95-97 Ford F250/F350. They look like that to me. I have always liked them and never thought of them on a Chevy until I saw these pics. I think they are made by Alcoa. If not, they are at least OEM wheels. Should be good quality and strong. As a bonus, they are probably at least 7" wide, if not 7.5" or 8" wide. Only thing I potentially don't like is I think the rear centercaps have Ford stamped into them.

Has anyone put these on their truck? I'm wondering if there are fitment issues. I know the bolt pattern is right, but that is where my knowledge ends. Are there backspacing issues? Need special lugs? Any hub-centric vs. lug-centric issues? Or, anything else?

Thoughts?

Adam
Attached Images

A.Bursell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:11 PM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Ford 8-Lug Wheels?

Alcoa makes those wheels,but maybe you could find some used Ford ones. I don't like the big derby caps covering the lugs. To me a K/20 looks best retaining some "tough" and nothing says that like exposed lugs...nice long lugs.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:59 PM   #3
T Herder

Here's what I'm putting on my GMC, Eagle Alloys, to replace the Weld Super Singles. They're close to the Ford style but significantly cheaper.
Best regards,
T Herder
Attached Images

T Herder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
A.Bursell

Thanks for the replies guys.

Special-K did you mean used Chevy Alcoa's? Are they similar?

T-Herder those do look close, and they do look nice. I prefer OEM parts, but I'm probably strange.

Has anyone else got any input on these Ford wheels?

Adam
Old 07-17-2012, 07:17 PM   #5
So.Cal.Super
It'll Buff Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Bursell View Post
T-Herder those do look close, and they do look nice. I prefer OEM parts, but I'm probably strange.
But their not OEM if their ford....

Become a Supporting Member
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

Man Card Rules
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=634550

72 Chevy Cheyenne Super 400 LWB
So.Cal.Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:27 PM   #6
special-K
Special Order

Adam,I meant the used Ford wheels like you show. They are made by Alcoa and I don't believe they are any different from the ones they sell aftermarket. Alcoa made the wheels before Ford started using them with the derbys. Ford always steals the popular style wheels and kills them by installing them on millions of trucks. GM always comes up with their own styles,good or bad.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 07-17-2012, 09:43 PM   #7
A.Bursell

Quote:
Originally Posted by So.Cal.Super View Post
But their not OEM if their ford....

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Adam,I meant the used Ford wheels like you show. They are made by Alcoa and I don't believe they are any different from the ones they sell aftermarket. Alcoa made the wheels before Ford started using them with the derbys. Ford always steals the popular style wheels and kills them by installing them on millions of trucks. GM always comes up with their own styles,good or bad.
I was looking earlier and saw the same thing- you are right. I wonder if I can use Alcoa caps with Ford wheels?

Adam
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-18-2012, 07:00 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

I don't see why not. Center caps are pretty generic. It's just a matter of the wheel center bore,which would be the same for a given vehicle no matter who made the wheel. Plus,they "are" Alcoas. Center caps would make them look un-Ford. OEM? They are OEM...OEM Ford! I look at it like the big trucks with Alcoas. Pete,Ken,Mack,or whoever built the truck but they all run Alcoa,Budd,Clark,etc wheels. Heck,the same is true with light trucks anyway,except most (not these) are made with a specific style. The Ford steelies guys like in these are AccuRides and for years they were Kelsey-Hayes on everything.

Tim