The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-20-2012, 11:24 PM   #1
matts86chev

HELP! Fuel pump replacement issues...

I'm about ready to set my truck on fire and throw it in neutral... I replaced the pump to carb fuel line which sucked, lower radiator house was a pain too... Then I replaced the fuel pump, the kind mounted on the side of the motor and it was obnoxious but I thought I got it... Nope. AnyOne got any tips on how to get the rod on the pump under that pushups or whatever it is? It seems like it is stuck down preventing me from being able to put the pumps rod under it... Help please!?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-20-2012, 11:35 PM   #2
mud.man.rj

Re: HELP! Fuel pump replacement issues...

On the fuel pump, turn the engine over by hand with a bar slowly and the rod will go most of the way up into the block then the pump spring won't have so much pressure on it. Also in the front of the block just above the pump (behind the waterpump) there is a bolt hole on "most" small blocks that you can put a short bolt in to "snug" up against the fuel pump rod to hold it in place with it up like noted, then install pump take bolt back out and install shorter one. If none of this is possible then remove the second plate behind where the pump bolts up too, 2 small bolts at bottom of plate and pull rod out of block then slather with grease, reinstall into hole on block then reinstall small plate with 2 bolts then install pump, long story but one of them will work.
mud.man.rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:40 PM   #3
jayman68
Fun Stuff

There is a bolt on the front of the block that is lined up with the rod. If you remove the bolt the hole goes all the way thru to the rod. If when you remove the bolt, oil comes out, you found the right one. Some later modles may not have it. The bolt you pulled out is short, find a longer one and thread it in. Don't thread it in hard or it could damage the rod. Once you get the rod pushed up put pressure against it with the bolt. (this probably would have helped more before you took it apart) I have not found an easy way to get the rod into position once it has fallen down, short of removing the cover plate. You might try using a pencil eraser, after wiping a dry spot on the rod, and pushing it in. Good luck. Don't forget to put the shorter bolt back in.

68 C10(project)
88 Honda Accord(DD)
93 Chevy Astro EXT 2wd
jayman68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:08 AM   #4
Stepper86

Lol.... I changed my pump yesterday in pooring rain , had I known then about the little bolt to hold the rod I would not have a hole in my left thumb after sticking a screwdriver trough it trying to hold the rod while wrigling the pump n underneath it. Lol..
1986 C-10 Stepside (project "my time")
1992 Corvette cab (summer time daily driver)
1969 Cadilac DeVille Cab ("it just need some paint")
Stepper86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:03 AM   #5
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

got any reason to remove the inner fender,i've found with the inner fender out i can sit on the tire and get it in there
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:36 PM   #6
matts86chev

Turned out the fuel pump push rod was bowed a good two degrees! Driving to get a new one now! Thanks for the help! Now all I have left to figure out is why my front passenger tire has a bald spot and excessive wear on the inside tread! Also makes a weird popping every once in a whole when I turn...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-22-2012, 02:06 AM   #7
jayman68
Fun Stuff

It was bent? Wow. Glad you found that. good luck.

68 C10(project)
88 Honda Accord(DD)
93 Chevy Astro EXT 2wd
jayman68 is offline   Reply With Quote