The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-23-2012, 08:11 PM   #1
okyankee

how much hp and tq till...........?

boxing the frame and or putting a roll cage in a 67 chevy reg cab? i got a deal on a 588ci motor from my friend. its around 850hp and 800tq. will know more after the dyno run. also, i will put a new rear in of course. widest tire and wheel combo on the back with stock frame and shorter rear? thanks for any help or point in the right direction.
okyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:47 PM   #2
okyankee

Re: how much hp and tq till...........?

and yes, i know how to use the search button. haha.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:04 PM   #3
hugger6933

Your gonna need a cage to pass tech at just any track in the world. They may let it go by until they see you make a pass. They will come to your pit and talk about how fast it is and how much motor you have to run like that and don't come back untill you have a cage that will pass for 9.90. That truck will twist like a pretzel when it leaves the line and in fact it probably will try to hook so hard that it may try to lift the left rear tire as well. I had that same trouble with my Chevelle. It would lift the left front wheel over your head almost and the rh front only about knee high and the right rear corner would almost slap the track. It twisted so bad that it cracked the right hand quarter panel. I did some boxing and tieing the roll bar sections together and it left the line a lot less fun but a lot more consistent and it picked both wheels up about mid thigh high and carried them about 30-40 feet. it picked up the e.t. as well not clowning around in the front. It is a lot of motor as you well know and it will be a challenge to see what it does be safe check the steering and front suspension please . Then hammer on it have fun and stay safe. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:17 PM   #4
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

If that's all motor,then it's no longer a street truck.You will need to move the battery,tank,and any other weight to the rear.A cage,some frame boxing and weight reduction will also help.US Bodyworks used to do a flip frontend for these trucks.You'll also probably need to buy a tow vehicle and trailer.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:58 PM   #5
clb1024

Agreed with the above. If you get stupid like me and try to drive it on the street make sure you have at least a 8-10in wide tire up front. I ran skinnies on my blazer. I totaled it because I couldn't stop the d@mn thing with a big block riding on skinnies. I also had a lot of trouble with the cops 3800 rpm stall doesn't like to leave a light with a small amount of throttle!! I think I was pushing around 700hp and 735-750ft lbs. I got shut down on my 1st pass at Gainsville, FL.

Thanks,
Chris
04 Miti Endeavor AWD(wife's ride)
76 Dodge D100 Club Cab(Hand-me down from my Grandfather)
clb1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:16 PM   #6
okyankee

thanks for the info guys. i want to get as much tire in the back and in the front as possible. i will put it together likes its supposed to be. to be safe on the street and the track. i assume i will eventually want to take it down the track. i got a meeting with the guy putting it together this week, so i will bounce these ideas off of him and see what setup we will do. thanks again for the info and any future info.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:23 PM   #7
clb1024

Be careful with that much power on the street. Don't end up with a VERY VERY expensive pile of junk. As I sit back and think of the old blazer I once had I wish I would of just put it on a trailer everytime I went to the track. No power brakes, 70 mph, and a dump truck hitting his brakes meant me hitting my windshield. To this day I still can't believe he stopped faster than me. Please please be safe. Always wear a 5pt harness in that beast. Most of all enjoy your time and hard work building it.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 07-23-2012, 10:42 PM   #8
okyankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb1024 View Post
Be careful with that much power on the street. Don't end up with a VERY VERY expensive pile of junk. As I sit back and think of the old blazer I once had I wish I would of just put it on a trailer everytime I went to the track. No power brakes, 70 mph, and a dump truck hitting his brakes meant me hitting my windshield. To this day I still can't believe he stopped faster than me. Please please be safe. Always wear a 5pt harness in that beast. Most of all enjoy your time and hard work building it.

Thanks,
Chris
i am 37 so i am to old to be crazy guy driver on the street. plus my family is a bunch of cops so i cant be a street terror. the fun for me is building them, so it will get all the good stuff and be put together from the ground up the right and safe way. it will for sure have the biggest brakes i can fit on there. thanks for your info. i am like a info sponge when putting stuff together. this is the first old vehicle for me to put together. hence all the questions i will be asking in the future.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:50 PM   #9
clb1024

Quote:
Originally Posted by okyankee View Post
i am 37 so i am to old to be crazy guy driver on the street. plus my family is a bunch of cops so i cant be a street terror. the fun for me is building them, so it will get all the good stuff and be put together from the ground up the right and safe way. it will for sure have the biggest brakes i can fit on there. thanks for your info. i am like a info sponge when putting stuff together. this is the first old vehicle for me to put together. hence all the questions i will be asking in the future.
I understand where your coming from. I myself have a sponge between the ears, but yet some how I just couldn't listen to my older(I was 22) friends. They taught me everything I know about build, driving, and safety. I just wanted to let my experience. Have fun and be safe.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 07-24-2012, 07:55 AM   #10
okyankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb1024 View Post
I understand where your coming from. I myself have a sponge between the ears, but yet some how I just couldn't listen to my older(I was 22) friends. They taught me everything I know about build, driving, and safety. I just wanted to let my experience. Have fun and be safe.

Thanks,
Chris
will do. thanks man.