The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-23-2012, 10:12 PM   #1
mookiex4

Question Will my two engine swap out clean or do I need to make mods?

I have a 1965 GMC 1500 series pickup truck. It has the 305 V6 that used to also be in the bigger trucks like Dump Trucks and Busses.

I have available to me a 1965 Chevy 327 V8 from a similar Chevy pickup truck.

I was wondering if it will swap out without modifications. The 327 only has the flywheel. Can I use the pressure plate and bell housing from the 305 V6? I checked the clutch kits for both trucks on www.Rockauto.com and they are the exact same part numbers, but that doesn't tell me if the Bell Housing is a match or if the Motor Mounts need to be moved?

When I had my 64 Chevy Stepside the straight 6 came out and a 283 went in which used the same bell housing and clutch parts from the straight 6. I want to believe that the same goes for my current situation.

Thanks for any help you all can provide.

Mark
mookiex4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:09 AM   #2
mikie 1954

Re: Will my two engine swap out clean or do I need to make mods?

NO the bellhousing is different, also the motor mounts.Not sure about the clutch assembly but I am sure someone on here will know.those v6 motor mounts are hard to come by so don't though them away, someone will want them.
mikie 1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:12 AM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Yep, the bellhousing and motor mounts and brackets are different. I believe the clutch linkage may be different also. Not positive on that though.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:58 AM   #4
padresag

the z-bars are different and rock auto is mistaken on the clutch assy. you must use a chev clutch assy. the rock auto application will work for a chev but will not work for the gmc 305 application. the frt side of the clutch disc is different
the z-bar on a gmc is straight I believe and the chev has a kink in it
the old gmc clutch disc may work on a chev flywheel, but a chev disc will not work on a gmc flywheel. just check and see if it fits in the flywheel inset and clears the flywheel to c/shaft mounting bolts
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:32 PM   #5
mookiex4

Instead of using the 327 that is available to me, is there a Gm V8 that will drop right into the truck and bolt up to the motor mounts and the transmission? I don't mind making all of the conversions but this is a daily driver and I would like to get it back on the road without it becoming a huge project. I can just sell the 327 and the 305. I cannot believe it is so hard to find this information online. Thanks all for your help.
mookiex4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:18 PM   #6
padresag

it is not a difficult swap at all. you can get all the piec es to do it quite easily before hand. if you were closer I have most of the pieces that you need but you shouldn't have any problem finding them close by. the eng frame perches from a 230,250 or 283 will all work. same as the zbar, but you do need the ball stud out of sbc
when gmc did change over from the v6 they did go to chevy engs
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:04 AM   #7
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

There isn't any other engine that will be a direct bolt in in place of the GMC V6.

Like Ron said, it really isn't a big deal to convert to a small block. It can easily be done in a weekend. You will just need to have the conversion parts before you start. That would include the motor mounts, motor mount brackets, the bellhousing, and the clutch bellcrank. I can supply those if you can not find them locally.

Of course there may be other misc items you will need, depending on just what you currently have for either V8.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote