The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-29-2012, 07:22 PM   #1
1972_Buford

New seatbelts in... Much better

Order from LMC truck came in a few days ago. I just got to installing them today. I have to make a few more additional holes in the truck as the instructions say don't use the mounting posts for more than 1 portion of the seatbelt. I am not sure why as the ones that were in there (lap belts only) were doubled up in the middle. Oh well. I bought the 3 point retractable seatbelts. I think they are universal. I have the seat out still as I am putting on a new seat cover still.

The only issue I had was with the driver side where the mounting bolt and gas tank are. The retractable portion is a bit large and causes a little fitment issue with the tank going into the driver side corner of the cab. When I go to a rear mounted tank it won't matter. I was able to turn the bracket so it fit though. I will get photos when I get the seat done and put back in. All in all I am happy with the quality and product so far.

B
1972_Buford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
flashed

Re: New seatbelts in... Much better

Looking forward to pics as this is something my 72 and 74 both need one day.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:10 PM   #3
gotchamel

The bracket for driver side that holds retractor needs to ground down just a hair,the retractor works best as close to vertical as possible it seems.
gotchamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:20 PM   #4
1972_Buford

Hmm, I didn't grind it at all. I just used the "L" bracket that came with the kit. Pictures will have to wait as it is monsooning in AZ.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:28 PM   #5
gotchamel

Have not ground mine yet after initial install but will be reistalling this week,just did fatmat,carpet,new upolstery.
gotchamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:34 PM   #6
1972_Buford

The passenger side sides perfectly up and down with the belt parallel to the b post. The drivers side is turned at the bottom due to the gas tank and becomes perpendicular to the b post at the very bottom. It retracts nice and smooth but I will rectify this when I move to a rear mounted gas tank.

On a side note, I found I have the switch and the hoses for the dual auxiliary tanks that I just sold installed on the truck LOL. I just thought the switch was there with nothing underneath. The lines are all ran and really just needs the tanks and straps. I plan on just patching the side panels as I don't like the dual tank doors on the bed.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:39 PM   #7
1972_Buford

photos
Attached Images

Old 07-29-2012, 09:41 PM   #8
1972_Buford

a few more. One shows where I have to turn the base where the driver side is.
Attached Images

Old 07-29-2012, 09:43 PM   #9
1972_Buford

You can see in the photos where each mounting point has it's own bolt as I mentioned above. I had to drill a few new holes but all in all it wasn't bad.
Attached Images

Old 07-29-2012, 09:52 PM   #10
ole dollor

to me the lap belts were uncomfortable the new belts you have now should be the best way to go....looking good...
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:58 PM   #11
1972_Buford

Thanks. I thought about putting in a retractable center seatbelt but I don't see it getting used much and it kind of lends to the original parts of the truck. (plus I am cheap)
Old 07-29-2012, 11:10 PM   #12
clemsonteg

How does the bolt work for the top mount?
Posted via Mobile Device
clemsonteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:14 AM   #13
1972_Buford

It came with it in the top bracket already. Mine was already tapped for it so I just bolted it in there. It was also brought to my attention that the instructions may have mean not to bolt the same halves of the belt on the same boltversus two halves of a different belt on the same bolt. Thinks makes sense as it would pinch a person if they were on the same bolt. But, I am not sure which they meant and I wonder if I could put one end of the belt in the same hole as the retracting system. Oh well, This works and I am not sure if I want to change it. Taking my seat out was a bear anyways.

Opinions?

Last edited by 1972_Buford; 07-30-2012 at 01:25 AM.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:47 PM   #14
flashed

Those look good and thanks for the pics ,give us some more when you get the seat back in .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:24 PM   #15
clemsonteg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972_Buford View Post
It came with it in the top bracket already. Mine was already tapped for it so I just bolted it in there. It was also brought to my attention that the instructions may have mean not to bolt the same halves of the belt on the same boltversus two halves of a different belt on the same bolt. Thinks makes sense as it would pinch a person if they were on the same bolt. But, I am not sure which they meant and I wonder if I could put one end of the belt in the same hole as the retracting system. Oh well, This works and I am not sure if I want to change it. Taking my seat out was a bear anyways.

Opinions?
Thanks for the info, I went out to my truck which just has lap belts and noticed I have hole up top as well with a plug it in.
clemsonteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:00 AM   #16
1972_Buford

I got the seat back in but I have not taken any pictures as of yet. Seatbelts work great. Only complaint I have is they work too well. I have to buckle up pretty slow because the belts lock up very easily.