The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-29-2012, 10:21 PM   #1
DMViergever

Newb frame swap questions

I'm started on my 51 to S10 frame swap but honestly I'm not sure where to start. I have the cab and bed sitting on the new frame. I'm putting 5.7 with a 700r4 for the drive train.

My cab floor is toast and needs replaced as do the cab corners and where the firewall meets the floor. I'm guessing it would be best to do cab mounts, then cut the floor out, add the motor and tranny then worry about floors and firewall?

What do you guys suggest?
Posted via Mobile Device
DMViergever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:26 AM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Newb frame swap questions

Repair the cab and then worry about mounting it.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:52 AM   #3
mknittle

I would do the cab first like mr48 said. It would be easier to make the frame fit the cab than the other way around.And if your floor is bad where are you going to measure from?

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:06 AM   #4
DMViergever

It still has the mount holes which is the only reason I thought maybe do the mounts first. If I do the floor first I suppose I have less room for error. I am unsure if I will need a transmission tunnel yet.
Posted via Mobile Device
DMViergever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:40 PM   #5
62ChevyII

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMViergever View Post
It still has the mount holes which is the only reason I thought maybe do the mounts first. If I do the floor first I suppose I have less room for error. I am unsure if I will need a transmission tunnel yet.
Posted via Mobile Device
You will need a little bit of a tunnel if you plan to set the cab somewhat low and put the engine/trans back far enough to clear the fan/radiator. Here's what I did for a tunnel on one I am currently building with a sbc/700r4 combo:

If you are interested, you might take a look at my buiild thread in my sig before you get too far down the road. It might give you an idea of where to start and some of the things to consider before you get started.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:20 PM   #6
OrrieG

62chev is right. There are probably a dozen s10 build threads in the build section. Look at his and others with a note book handy. Write down the basic sequence, note any back tracking. A pattern will emerge for the sequence. It will also give you insight and a list of things you might need to buy or fabricate ahead of time.

I set up an excel spread sheet so I can cut, paste and insert stuff. It has check off boxes next to each task on the left for disassembly, cleaning, fabrication, paint and installation. It has a column on the right for items I need to buy for that assembly. I have it arranged by major subsystems (frame, engine, body, bed, wiring, etc.) I keep a separate critical path sequence list.

This method keeps me from going crazy worrying about forgetting something. Also helps when I get bored or overwhelmed with a task, I can find something else on the list to work on. Its basically the same process I use to keep track of all the tasks associated with turning 10,000 pieces of metal, wood and plastic into a building.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:33 PM   #7
Atommik

Like others said, do the cab first, then mount it. That's what I'm doing. My cab is done and I don't even have a s10 frame yet...very soon though!
Atommik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:28 PM   #8
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
62chev is right. There are probably a dozen s10 build threads in the build section. Look at his and others with a note book handy. Write down the basic sequence, note any back tracking. A pattern will emerge for the sequence. It will also give you insight and a list of things you might need to buy or fabricate ahead of time.

I set up an excel spread sheet so I can cut, paste and insert stuff. It has check off boxes next to each task on the left for disassembly, cleaning, fabrication, paint and installation. It has a column on the right for items I need to buy for that assembly. I have it arranged by major subsystems (frame, engine, body, bed, wiring, etc.) I keep a separate critical path sequence list.

This method keeps me from going crazy worrying about forgetting something. Also helps when I get bored or overwhelmed with a task, I can find something else on the list to work on. Its basically the same process I use to keep track of all the tasks associated with turning 10,000 pieces of metal, wood and plastic into a building.
that wouldn't work for me as I type so slow I would never have time to work on the truck!

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote