The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-30-2012, 09:29 PM   #1
Krwright

Pouring water down the carb

I know everybody is going to say I'm nuts and maybe I am but this works. The old small block would diesel like hell when I shut it off. Done everything with timing, fuel etc. with no help. So I done the old water trick. And not a hint of dieseling now. I put a piece of card board under the throttle linkage it was running about 2100 rpm. Stuck the water hose over the breather stud turned the water on till it had a stream about the size of a straw. Ran her for about 20 min. This kinda makes Sense if you have ever changed a blown head gasket you've most likley noticed how clean the piston and head are. It's simply steam cleaning it. Getting rid of the heavy carbon. I let it sit over night and changed the oil and to my supprise no water in the oil. Just don't use too much water and lock it up!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-30-2012, 09:33 PM   #2
Black 'n' Blue

Re: Pouring water down the carb

Yes it works, but if done incorrectly it will hydro lock your motor and you will bend rods. Just a warning to those who may try it.
Bradley Anderson 1997-2011
Black 'n' Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:36 PM   #3
Krwright

I gotta say the old bonami trick works too for sealing Molly rings. I've done it dozens of times. Just plan on changing the plugs afterwards.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-30-2012, 09:36 PM   #4
WarBeard

Risky but it does work. I do it to lawn mowers all the time.
1989 V2500 Suburban 350/400.. SOLD!
1974 C10 Custom10 LWB 350/350.. SOLD!
1974 C10 Custom10 SWB 350/400.. SOLD!
1999 Silverado Z71 LS1.. Wife's rig WRECKED!
On the hunt for a new project.......
I'm a Chevy guy.....I'm just not a "NEW" Chevy guy.
WarBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:40 PM   #5
Krwright

I was really supprised how much water the ol girl would take. I turned it up quite a bit just out of curiosity. Risky I know but it's just a beater truck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-31-2012, 10:43 PM   #6
grs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krwright View Post
I was really supprised how much water the ol girl would take. I turned it up quite a bit just out of curiosity. Risky I know but it's just a beater truck.
Posted via Mobile Device
My high school teacher taught me that a bought 50 years age. It steam cleans the pistons. They also made a solution that could be used. You also can pour a can of ATF in the oil to clean oil sludge in the engine. Put a can in before your oil change and run it for 5 miles then change the oil. First be a quart low.
grs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:31 AM   #7
andrewmp6

Water can be ok if not a ton goes in,They sell a water/meth injection kit for turbo cars now.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:14 AM   #8
THE "10" SILVERADO

They make something called "Seafoam" that is supposed to do this and wonders. Pour it down the carb and some in the gas tank. I tried it on my worn 350 and it smoked a ton so I guess it cleaned it out. Motor didn't last long enough for me to see any improvement though.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:13 AM   #9
Desert1957

IMO over the years MOST engines but not all run clean enough never to need this extreme procedure.If tuned properly your engine will never carbon up enough to need it.

I only remember 1 customer I had and it was a farm truck that never ran on the road that was carbon-ed up enough to benefit from this.

Modern day fuel additives and over the counter fuel treatments will prevent extreme build up.

This running water through the engine stuff started back in the day when we still had LEADED fuel, that 's how long iv'e heard of it.

In a word , DON"T do it , the risk does not out-way anything you will gain.

Desert
Old 08-01-2012, 11:18 AM   #10
grs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert1957 View Post
IMO over the years MOST engines but not all run clean enough never to need this extreme procedure.If tuned properly your engine will never carbon up enough to need it.

I only remember 1 customer I had and it was a farm truck that never ran on the road that was carbon-ed up enough to benefit from this.

Modern day fuel additives and over the counter fuel treatments will prevent extreme build up.

This running water through the engine stuff started back in the day when we still had LEADED fuel, that 's how long iv'e heard of it.

In a word , DON"T do it , the risk does not out-way anything you will gain.

Desert
You are correct. When lead was in gas you had to change the spark plugs at 12,000 miles, or clean them. The valves would get carbon build up too. Valves don't build up carbon like that anymore.
grs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:34 AM   #11
slammed427

I've used seafoam for years, down the carb, in the tank, in the oil. I've found seafoam to work great in cleaning out a well used engine. Which reminds me, I need to pick up another can before my next oil change.
Posted via Mobile Device

Instagram: mmmdropp
slammed427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:42 AM   #12
Desert1957

Seafoam is great stuff, but like I said above you DON'T need it on a regular basis unless you have other problems.

Think about this , when you add "Seafoam" or any other harsh concentrates down the Carb, it cleans everything off the cylinder walls & valves. If there is nothing there to clean off it just strips the small oil coating you need internally to prevent wear. that's all.

Desert
Old 08-01-2012, 04:47 PM   #13
Stew_Magoo
Account Suspended

You're brave sticking a garden hose of the carb. I like getting the engine good and warm, and drawing a liter of ice cold water in through a vacuum line a little at a time. After drawing about half in snap the throttle wide open to build a bunch of RPM's and then as you let the throttle slam shut snuff the carb with a hand full of rags until it about dies. Awesome way to clean out the carbon build up.
Stew_Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:37 PM   #14
bigd65

This is not a risky as one would think. I use to do it I was a dumb@55 kid all the time. I would dump bunches of water down the carb and never did change the plugs. Even dumped enough to make the engine stall. I'm not saying it can't happen or you don't need to change the plugs. Just telling my experience.. I have never even changed the plugs afterwards, again, not saying you don't have to but...
Posted via Mobile Device