The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-31-2012, 01:17 AM   #1
CEE1NG_RED

...where is the oil leak coming from (driver's side)!!!

Man!!! Since I've bought this truck, I had repaired the transmission leak, engine oil pan leak, radiator leak, now...there seems to be a leak coming from the driver's side. I am hoping it is just the intake cover, rather than the intake manifold itself, but what do you guys think???

Previously...there was no leak, not that I recall aside just the transmission leak. Now, after removing the radiator and having it repaired, I mounted it back on, filled it w/ distilled water then pressurized it to double check. Drained the radiator then added 'Super Flush' then filled it w/ water. I let it run for 30 mins. then filled it up with more distilled water.

Then after letting the truck cool down, I noticed the driver's side had a leak. Is it coming from the intake or intake cover (chrome cover). I have read some threads, where one should check on the bolts of the intake and possibly intake cover to see if they are loose and bolt it snugged. Then if not that, maybe the intake cover gasket needs to be replaced (so I bought a Felpro rubber gasket) just in case. Bad scenerio, the intake manifold gasket may need to be replaced. Worst scenerio, I cracked the block while attempting the flush process!! (If it was a cracked block, what signs will I noticed??)

Also, where and what input do you think is causing this oil leak on driver's side?? [SIGH] I really want to ride this truck, but problems are becoming systematic to the point I have to post and ask for help (which I really appreciate), but I want to drive the darn thing already, ahaha!!!

Anyways, LMK what you think? Thank you...
Attached Images

- 2003 Ford SVT Cobra "Terminator" 281 (Once in a blue moon driver/weekend driver)
CEE1NG_RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:33 AM   #2
bobs409
1969 Custom 30 wrecker

Re: ...where is the oil leak coming from (driver's side)!!!

If it's leaking alot, I'd suggest checking the oil pressure switch or the line if you have a gauge. It screws in on driver side top behind the intake. They can leak alot!

63 Impala 283/PG/3.36 (under restoration)
66 Impala 327/PG/3.36
66 Chevelle SS 409/M22/3.55
69 Chevelle 307/PG/3.08 (future restoration)
69 C10 short stepside 454/TH350/3.73
69 Custom 30 tow truck 350/4 spd/4.10 (resto done, CRUISIN TIME!)
71 Cheyenne 20 fleetside 350/4 spd/4.10
71 Chevelle 6/PG/3.08
72 Chevelle 454/M21/4.10
bobs409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:55 AM   #3
NoNeck

I agree with Bob... those oil pressure switches are prone to developing cracks and causing leaks. Also, if you have the oil pressure gauge, even the threaded oil line will sometimes develop a leak. See arrow in photo below.

One other thing to check is the valve cover gasket on the driver's side. Especially that back corner that seems to always want to slip away from the head surface. Highly unlikely, but if you have stock valve covers you might want to inspect them carefully. We had a truck where the previous owner had installed the VC upside down! After running it this way, it developed a mysterious leak that had us scratching our heads. The photo below is what we found. The rockers had literally rubbed through the metal in several places.

One last thought... sometimes the intake manifold can develop a leak at the rear. If rubber end seals were used, they can slip. If Silicone was used to seal the intake, sometimes there can be gaps or the Silicone could have been applied to an oily engine deck. This would allow the Silicone to slip away from the sealing surface.

Good luck.

NoNeck
Attached Images

If it costs you a dollar to make a friend, KEEP THE DOLLAR.
If it costs you a friend to make a dollar, KEEP THE FRIEND.
NoNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:27 AM   #4
CEE1NG_RED

Thanks guys!!

I'm praying it's just the valve cover rather than the intake manifold gasket/seals that needs to be changed. I bought me a Felpro valve cover gasket (rubber) since cork is useless (I think) and will be more prone to leaks/cracking. I'm very limited on work space since my city does not permit one to work on the driveway so I have to make it quick and not so messy. Also, having my inlaws living with us and my garage compiled with their things only give me space to park my Cobra.

Anyways, thank you for helping me out and let's hope it's just that for now so I can enjoy riding this truck and finally get to haul things to do some renovations at my house.
- 2003 Ford SVT Cobra "Terminator" 281 (Once in a blue moon driver/weekend driver)
Old 07-31-2012, 12:00 PM   #5
DT1

Oil pressure fitting or valve cover gasket. Both are easy to fix. I had a leaking valve cover gasket and unlike Fords, The SBC heads are a rough cast finish and hard to seal. I had to use a .312 thick, metal reinforced gasket from Summit.
All of the others didn't work for me.
DT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:45 PM   #6
CEE1NG_RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT1 View Post
Oil pressure fitting or valve cover gasket. Both are easy to fix. I had a leaking valve cover gasket and unlike Fords, The SBC heads are a rough cast finish and hard to seal. I had to use a .312 thick, metal reinforced gasket from Summit.
All of the others didn't work for me.
Was the brand Moroso? I had to use one for my trans gasket. Worth the $30. Anyways what brand did you get or part number?
Posted via Mobile Device