The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-31-2012, 01:19 PM   #1
dhughins

what to look for in a replacement engine?

I'm thinking I'm gonna replace my 305. I cant afford a crate engine so I'm gonna look for a junkyard 350 or one on craigslist. What do I ask for? I called a junyard this morning and told them I wanted a precomputer 350. They wanted a year make and model. I need an engine pretty much before 1985 correct?

I know this ain't the best thing to to but I'm hoping to find one that I just need to take off the oil pan and valve covers and clean it up then put it back together and in the truck.

I'm gonna try to do this outside as i dont have a garage. Maybe on a 3 day weekend? Any pointers?
Posted via Mobile Device
dhughins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:28 PM   #2
OJ1988
Just a car guy

Re: what to look for in a replacement engine?

What is wrong with the 305?
What is your budget?

Are you wanting to do a krylon rebuild and go with it? If so, find a complete car so you can hear it running, otherwise, you are just gambling.

Finding a used 2 piece rear main seal engine that does not need rebuilt and machine work is not going to be very likely, unless you find a low milage car.

Figure out your budget, because you may very well end up spending much more trying to get a junkyard engine going without a proper rebuild.
1970 C20 tow rig
OJ1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:56 PM   #3
dhughins

My budget is pretty small $300-700? The 305 is having oil pressure issues. I had another post on here that got moved to the engine forumn. I'm unsure how old this engine is ive had the truck since April. The rest of the truck is in great shape. I think the oil pickup is getting clogged when the engine is running. The oil pressure starts out fine but then drops yo 0 after a few minutes running. If you turn it off for a few seconds restart it oil pressure starts out normal again. A month or so ago I replace a leaking valve cover gasket and there was a lot of sludge in there. I did an oil change at that time also. I figure if I'm gonna have to pull the engine to take the oil pan off I might as well be ready to replace it. I would prefer a 350 to the 305 anyways. I figure I could use my intake, headers or whatever else off of the 305 if needed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-31-2012, 01:59 PM   #4
dhughins

The krylon rebuild is what I have in mind. So a pre 85 truck, motorhome sound about right? Can I find one in a junkyard nowadays. It seems like most old stuff in this part of the county is gone.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-31-2012, 02:00 PM   #5
RPBurris

Is this your daily driver?? If it aint broke dont fix it is what my dad used to tell me. If the 305 is running decent you can accomplish the same good looking engine over a few days and maybe even do a cam swap. If you are only looking to put a few hundred into it there will be no difference in power with a worn 350 than your current motor. At least you know something about the 305. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:38 PM   #6
dhughins

I was trying to use it as my daily driver,but my 2000 silverado turns out to be a tad more reliable. What about the oil pressure issue? I had to drive it home the other night and it would go to 0 and after a few minutes you could hear it ticking. When I reached a hilll where I could coast I would turn it off and restart it so the oil pressure would return an the ticking would stop.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-31-2012, 02:41 PM   #7
jablack
Classic Chevy Recycler

There are old parts around here, you just have to look. I got a great deal on an engine and trans over in Talladega. It was a little out of my way but well worth it in the end.

2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
1970 Chevrolet C50
1979 Chevrolet C30

Need another 67 or 68 soon...
jablack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:52 PM   #8
MARKDTN

Find a '88-95 5.7 TBI engine and put the whole thing in with the 4L60E trans. Fuel injection and overdrive. A van is a great donor and a great container to take to the crusher. Can be bought for less than $1000. If you don't want that, just get the engine and either hog out the bolts on the intake or get a factory q-jet or aftermarket Holley intake for these later engines. Another option would be a '96-99 Vortec 5.7, but you would have to have a special intake for that one. In any case, your accessories will bolt right up. A quick check on car-Part.com shows $500 will buy a TBI engine in Alabama and more like $800 for a Vortec.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:28 PM   #9
OJ1988
Just a car guy

I spent about 8 months looking for a rebuildable pre86 engine, and could not find any that did not need bored.

I would pull the 305, clean it swap a new oil pump, cam and fresh gaskets all around. That will quickly eat up your budget.

I'd pull some caps and check the bearings while its out.

Throwing money at an unknown used 350 will not get you ahead of where you are now.
1970 C20 tow rig
Old 07-31-2012, 05:15 PM   #10
So.Cal.Super
It'll Buff Out!

Have you run a compression check on the motor?

Maybe the oil pick up tube came off?

Just curious what oil filter your running?

if it might just be getting clogged what did the oil look like when you changed it last.

just a few cheap thoughts.

Become a Supporting Member
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

Man Card Rules
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=634550

72 Chevy Cheyenne Super 400 LWB
So.Cal.Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:34 PM   #11
vectorit
What?

I would at least try to find one that is for sale privately, or from a salvage yard that it's still set up to run for you. That way you can listen for any rod knock, and see if it is blowing blue smoke.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:35 PM   #12
dhughins

A month or so ago I replace a leaking valve cover gasket and there was a lot of sludge in there. I did an oil change at that time also. the oil was black and not real thick.

that was the only oil change i've done. i've had the truck since april. STP filter

just me but if the oil pickup came off than the pressure wouldn't go back up each time i turn it off and back on would it? i figure there is trash/sludge in there and after running a few minutes it blocks the pickup.then when i turn off the truck the pump lets it go.

thinking about running a oil cleaner through it and changing the oil afterwards, but not wanting to waste the 40-50$ if it doesn;t work.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:37 PM   #13
dhughins

when using car-parts.com how do i search for multiple years? it won't let me past the first step without putting a year in.

with TBI would i need the computer? would i have to install a fuel pump in gas tank? anything else i would have to add or do?
Old 07-31-2012, 06:03 PM   #14
OJ1988
Just a car guy

Tbi swap will blow your budget.

Again fix your 305

finding a used 350 that is older then your current engine is not going to improve your situation unless you are prepared to spend $2000 rebuilding it.
Posted via Mobile Device
1970 C20 tow rig
Old 07-31-2012, 06:05 PM   #15
gerfunken

This may be off base, but how are you measuring the pressure? Is it an electrical or mechanical gauge? If it's mechanical, did you get all of the air out of the line? Not saying it is or isn't, but it could be a faulty reading on the gauge itself...

1972 Chevy K20
Picture Gallery
Build Thread

1930 Chevy AD
Picture Gallery

1929 Ford Model-A
Picture Gallery

1975 Triumph TR-6
Picture Gallery
gerfunken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:19 PM   #16
jmdemon55

if i am not mistaken, some of the later tbi motors do not have a provision for the mechanical fuel pump.
jmdemon55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:20 PM   #17
dhughins

it is a mechanical oil pressure gauge mounted in the cab. the reason i believe the gauge is working correctly is that is has been fine till last week, and i can hear the engine ticking under the valve covers a few minutes after it loses oil pressure. it sounds to me like an engine running without oil.

I'm more and more considering fixing my 305, but then when i'm done i'll still just have a 305.

should i just pull the pan and see if it's sludge or if i need to replace oil pump without removing completely from truck? or pull the engine completely? keep in mind i don't have a garage. i might be able to use a relatives, but it won't be convenient.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:28 PM   #18
OJ1988
Just a car guy

What do you want to do with this truck?
There is nothing wrong with having "just a 305", unless you are seeking fast et's, which at this stage is way out of your budget.

Like I said before, yank it out, pull the pan, check it out and repair as needed.
Posted via Mobile Device
1970 C20 tow rig
Old 07-31-2012, 06:38 PM   #19
Wrenchbender Ret

I agree. if the engine is full of sludge its time for it to go. What about a new Goodwrench 350. You can buy one for about $1500. I know that is over your budget but when you put one of those in & go over all the hoses, Belts, mounts, etc. you are done with it. They will run for years. Beg, borow, or steel the extra money, or get a partime job. It will be worth it.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:48 PM   #20
dhughins

i already have a part time job, and a wife and 2 kids. the crate engine is not an option.i really wish it was. i could save for a while but with our budget it's gonna be awhile. i was really hoping on starting on a garage soon also, but doubtful about that right now.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:00 PM   #21
dhughins

i was reading some other threads about pulling the pan.

if i lift the engine and place blocks between the motor and mounts, do I have to unbolt the tranny from anything?
Old 07-31-2012, 07:06 PM   #22
haysonj

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhughins View Post
i already have a part time job, and a wife and 2 kids. the crate engine is not an option.i really wish it was. i could save for a while but with our budget it's gonna be awhile. i was really hoping on starting on a garage soon also, but doubtful about that right now.
I would just keep looking for a pre 85 350 If you can hear it run would be best but if not most places give you 30 days to bring it back if something is wrong. I sold the 305 out of my parts truck for $400 and it ran very good. Anything after 85 you will have to change you flex plate or fly wheel.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:13 PM   #23
dhughins

Quote:
Originally Posted by haysonj View Post
I would just keep looking for a pre 85 350 If you can hear it run would be best but if not most places give you 30 days to bring it back if something is wrong. I sold the 305 out of my parts truck for $400 and it ran very good. Anything after 85 you will have to change you flex plate or fly wheel.

yeah i would really like to go ahead and change to a 350 now then to replace this oil pump and later find out there was other damage.
everyone knows it is cheaper to rebuild a 350 than a 305.

my engine is supposed to be a 1976 model 305 would that matter as far as difficulty taking off oil pan? (please say it makes it easier)
Old 07-31-2012, 07:47 PM   #24
haysonj

Quote:

yeah i would really like to go ahead and change to a 350 now then to replace this oil pump and later find out there was other damage.
everyone knows it is cheaper to rebuild a 350 than a 305.

my engine is supposed to be a 1976 model 305 would that matter as far as difficulty taking off oil pan? (please say it makes it easier)
No differance than a 350. You can get them off without pulling the engine Just have to remove motor mount bolts and raise the front of the engine to get it out. It helps to rotate the crank shaft to clear the counter weights
Old 07-31-2012, 09:04 PM   #25
OJ1988
Just a car guy

Quote:
I hear ya, same here, but just one kid.
It's taken ne 3 years to build and swap engine, trans, suspension and brakes. But I plan on keeping this truck and driving it a long time, so I'm trying to make it as new and reliable as possible.

How many miles do you expect to get from the used 350? How long do you plan to keep the truck? To me these are important questions, no reason to spend $300-$1000 on a used engine only to need a full rebuild a year or two later.

These trucks, like any other classic are investments, you just the less money, the slower the build, at least that's the way it is for me! My iroc project is going on 8 years.
Posted via Mobile Device
1970 C20 tow rig