The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-31-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
Killrdanasurfer

58 power brake question..

Hey guys I'm looking at purchasing a 58 gmc fleet option and the brakes need to be redone. It has a 270 and a floor shift 4 speed in it. Looking around at kits they pretty much all say the frame mount power booster will only work with automatic transmissions? I was wondering why this was the case? I know I could do the firewall mount but I don't like the look of it. So out of curiosity why will the frame mounts not work? Would it have to do with the linkage for a tree shift? In which case I should be ok with the floor shift? Also I found a power booster MC frame mount on eBay that says it will work for manual transmissions.. Anybody have any luck with these? I will be upgrading to disc brakes in the front on a side note..

Thanks!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Killrdanasurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: 58 power brake question..

Here is my installation. I made my own brackets based on aftermarket ones. I used a 9" hotrod booster, 74 truck MC (disc/drum) and 70's proportioning valve. As you can see I have a 350TH trans and big cast iron transfer case. The photo was taken before the exhaust, which snakes between the MC and transmission, was installed. I do not believe any manual transmissions are any bigger than what I have.
Attached Images

OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:03 AM   #3
Killrdanasurfer

Thanks, that's what I was thinking.. There would be plenty of room, especially with manuals tending to be smaller.. Maybe it's the pedals that don't line up? Is the area where the levers enter the cab different on manual vs auto for the brake and clutch pedals? I guess I could always call and ask the companies about the fit..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-01-2012, 12:00 PM   #4
OrrieG

The pedal in my photo is the stock brake pedal, in the stock location. The clutch would be to the left, with the linkage in front of and to the right (towards engine and bellhousing) of the brake stuff. That might affect the exhaust routing but not any more than the stock brake mc that was mounted in the same axis as the new stuff.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:52 PM   #5
Maximus

If you look at my build you will see i have a 4-speed and an under-floor power brake setup. i even used the original clutch bell-crank and was able to use the stock clutch fork in my later '78 trans with a adjustable clutch fork pivot ball (for racing applications)

hmm cant find any photos of my brake setup but again - im usin under-floor booster and clutch but i am also using a pontiac engine so things may line up a little differently
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:25 PM   #6
Killrdanasurfer

Thanks!!
Posted via Mobile Device