The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-01-2012, 11:42 PM   #1
sinistergmc

Welder Series Mustang II

Had anyone installed Paul Horton's Welder Series Mustang II front crossmember in our trucks? I'm debating doing it he says there is extra fab work to get it installed but it's $200. Others I've found are min $1000 and I'm on a budget. So if anyone has done it any advice on install would be greatly appreciated.
www.welderseries.com
Posted via Mobile Device
sinistergmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:31 AM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: Welder Series Mustang II

Welcome to the forum sinistergmc. Since these forums are home to many era of trucks, it would help if you noted your application. Even better if you shared pictures with us...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:15 AM   #3
andrewmp6

But that 200 bucks is just the crossmember and upper frame mounts,You still gotta get the control arms the rack the spindles springs shocks it adds up.If you can save up you can get a bolt in unit with everything close to 3 grand tho.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:07 AM   #4
sinistergmc

Im in the process of completely rebuilding a 1986 gmc c10 lwb. It's torn down and cab n bed are on saw horses. Right now I'm smoothing the firewall and trying to do all the metal work. Just picked up a sbc 350 so I want to finish firewall and mount on frame so I can drop in motor. Started looking into crossmembers so I'd like to get one before I put motor in. I got 3 small kids so my budget is tight, thats why this crossmember looked good to me, can't afford the big price tag with everything included. Plan is to build a nice street truck from top to bottom, this is my first build so I'm learning as I go. Can get some pix up later today. Thanks for replys
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-02-2012, 09:13 AM   #5
slimneverdies

I've bought from welder series before and they have some nice stuff but I remember that question being asked before. They don't have a crossmember wide enough for our (73-87) frame. If you have a 47-55 AD or 55-59 TF truck than you'll be able to find one.
Posted via Mobile Device
slimneverdies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:04 AM   #6
sinistergmc

Yeah I think ours is 65" track, people narrow it 2", so thats 63". Mustang II widest track is 60". So I'd breed to widen it 1.5" on each side. Was thinking I could do some fab work but thats why I ask to see if anyone else has attempted. You guys know of another crossmember you can get without including more parts that increase initial price?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-02-2012, 10:17 AM   #7
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

What are you trying to accomplish that you need to replace the front suspension? Please explain your goals?

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 08-02-2012, 12:12 PM   #8
sinistergmc

Want to run 20" rims and have a lowered stance but don't want to sacrifice drivability.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-02-2012, 01:26 PM   #9
meter swinger

not sure if your looking for a lowered stance? or bettter handling, or both?
you don't need to replace your crossmember to do that.

2.0" or 2.5" droped spindles with stock x member and A arms depending on how much drop your looking for. maybe cut one coil out off your front stock spring for additional drop if you need more.
do shackles or a flip kit in the rear depending on how much drop you want and what kind of stance you want.
and upgrade your shocks.
if your front end is sloppy (steering) a rebuild kit will tighten it up just fine.

A MII is not what you want for a C10. the aftermarket support is rife with stuff for these trucks and the forum vendors ( on this site ) will help you out.
meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:37 PM   #10
sinistergmc

Ill definitely do some more research before I buy anything
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-02-2012, 04:57 PM   #11
sinistergmc

For my suspension goals id like to get the truck riding on air for performance. I want it to be able to lay frame when I want but that isn't primary goal. Id like a rear link suspension. To do all that I would have to c-notch and z frame. Do I need new control arms as well? I'm a fabricator by trade so I would like to make anything I can, like rear link setup and maybe even control arms. If I don't need a crossmember to achieve my goals thats fine. What are your suggestions for buying parts and/or building.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-03-2012, 12:18 AM   #12
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Lets start with the basics and go down from there. You lower these trucks really low with out changing the crossmember. The limiting factor on getting the front low is the where the A-arms meet the crossmember. They will hit the ground before the frame does. To get low enough to lay frame, you can do a Z, section a stock crossmember, or go with an aftermarkets IFS system.

If your a fabricator by trade you can section a stock crossmember 1 3/8" with out having steering linkage issues. Combine that with bags and drop spindles and your pretty close to laying frame. To get on the ground you will still need a mild Z if you really have to have that last little bit.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 08-03-2012, 12:36 AM   #13
sinistergmc

Thanks, what do you think about jigging up stock x member and building a new one. can I still only go up 1 3/8" before I have steering problems?

Btw just finished reading your DO NOT OPEN article, and got to say your truck is killer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-03-2012, 01:48 AM   #14
andrewmp6

If it was me i would save up and get a dropmember http://www.porterbuiltfabrication.co...7-Chevy-Trucks He use to offer a weld in one that was cheaper call him and ask if he still offers it.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote