The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-05-2012, 01:11 PM   #1
hotrod1
56 - autocross

Bed Space - Cab HELP

I have been looking at a lot of different tri-5 trucks and have noticed that the space noted in the picture is different in many trucks. If you have trouble recognizing the picture, it is the space from the top of the bed behind the cab to the top of the cab inset.

The bottom of my bed step lines up with the bottom of the cab. What is this measurement suppose to be? Mine looks big compared to many. Help?
Attached Images

hotrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:01 PM   #2
Speedbumpauto

Re: Bed Space - Cab HELP

Mine is 1 1/2" or a hair under but I think the most important line is making sure the bed steps line up well with the bottom of the cab corners. I fabricated some actual front cab mounts for my cab then shimmed the bed to make sure that line was perfect and let the measurment you're talking about fall where it would. Others may disagree, but I think the exterior step/cab line is the most important and, trust me, the line you're worried about looks much better when the paint is all the same color.
Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:02 PM   #3
hotrod1
56 - autocross

Thanks for the info. Does the front cab mount have any spacers? I know the back has something like 1/2 inch.
hotrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:43 PM   #4
Speedbumpauto

I fabricated a front cab mount using a cup style freeze plug with a bolt hole in the center and a motor mount doughnut, the same as I did for the core support mount on the clip.(pic) I wanted actual rubber isolation/cushioning for the front.(probably overkill) It raised the front of my cab about 3/4 inch and changed ever so slightly the angle of the cab. Then I shimmed the bed mounts to match. I needed to do it anyway because I had to raise the bed floor 2" to clear the suspension. If you're steps/cab are on a good line, I think you're fine.
Attached Images

Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote