The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-10-2012, 04:48 PM   #1
TDS-MN

Dash speaker size?

Hey All,

Thinking of putting a bit of a sound system in my truck, now that I've got my exhaust leak fixed, I feel I will be able to hear the music better. Starting from scratch using mostly components that I've had laying around the garage, I'm not looking to go crazy on the install.

Curious if anyone knows off the top of their head, the dash speaker sizes? I'm looking for the left and right ends of the dash, not the center speaker.

For now my plans are to put L and R speakers up there, and run the 4x10's in the rear cab corners. And I've got a small sub that I might be able to fit behind the seat. I might try and fab up something to utilize the center mount spot below the dash for a pair of tweeters or something, depending on how motivated I get. If I can get a speaker layout that I like, I hope to upgrade to a newer head unit eventually. Got a road trip coming up next week, would like to get thsi done over the weekend. Thanks!
'85 K-10 w/ 305, 700r4, np208, and RUST!
SOLD Dec 2014
TDS-MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:47 PM   #2
76stepsidechevy

Re: Dash speaker size?

Stock is 3.5" but ive fit 4" speakers in there in the past in these trucks.
76stepsidechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:57 PM   #3
beamn7

Here is what I put in mine and am very happy with the sound (I also added two 8" subs and a amp but these sound good alone too)
Front: Kenwood KFC-835C 3.5-Inch Round Speaker
Rear: Kenwood Kfc-415c 4x10 Speaker

Fronts fit no problem, backs required very slight modification.

Hope this helps.
beamn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:49 PM   #4
TDS-MN

Thanks. I did see that 3.5" was 'stock' but it appeared that there was some sort of bracket to hold them that looked larger diameter. Made me hope that maybe I can get a larger speaker to fit up there.

Figures that I don't have any 3.5" but I do have a nice pair of 4", so I might see if I can find a way to make those work. The access from under the dash looks really easy at least.

I guess I Have to go buy a pair of 4x10 anyway, maybe I'll look for an affordable pair of 3.5 if they will fit easily, just to speed the project up.

Appreciate the input!
SOLD Dec 2014
Old 08-11-2012, 01:18 PM   #5
76stepsidechevy

It was years ago I put a stereo in a buddys 84 but I think by just removing the brackets for the 3.5s allowed the 4"s to fit snug in the holes in the dash and we just drilled a couple holes to mount them. Def have to pull the dash pad to get at them though. I'd also recomend those kenwood 4x10s if you have to buy a set anyway, or buy/make the aftermarket brackets for 6x9s
76stepsidechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:58 PM   #6
beamn7

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the 4" will fit too without the 3.5" bracket.
Ditto on pulling the dash pad though. WAY easier than trying to do from underneath and besides, the screws are installed from the top....
beamn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:17 AM   #7
TDS-MN

oh, well here's the kicker, my dash pad is mostly gone from the corners already, so dropping some speakers in may be even easier?!?! If i use their grilles it might not look too bad. I usually try to do a more 'stealthy' looking install, but for this truck I'll just roll with it I guess. . . .

No progress yesterday, got wrapped up cleaning the interior and that took more time than I had planned. We'll see how it goes today. I'll be curious of I have the brackets, this truck never had the dash corner speakers, just the center one, which has been gone a long tmie.
SOLD Dec 2014
Old 08-12-2012, 11:49 PM   #8
Roynutts

Crutchfield.com has the front L and R speaker brackets and LMC.com sells a cool 4" x 10" housing that holds 2 more 3.5" speakers that fits the middle dash hole . This would give you 2 L and 2 R dash speakers up front hidden under the dash pad .

I'm in the middle of doing all new speakers in my 86 K-35 so I have done a lot of searching for 3.5" front and 4"x10" rear speakers to fill the stock holes .
Roynutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #9
TDS-MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roynutts View Post
Crutchfield.com has the front L and R speaker brackets and LMC.com sells a cool 4" x 10" housing that holds 2 more 3.5" speakers that fits the middle dash hole . This would give you 2 L and 2 R dash speakers up front hidden under the dash pad .

I'm in the middle of doing all new speakers in my 86 K-35 so I have done a lot of searching for 3.5" front and 4"x10" rear speakers to fill the stock holes .
Sounds good, I made a bracket similar to that for the rear deck of my old Regal, worked really well, but would be easier to buy that via Crutchfield. I might look more into that after this week's road trip. I was able to test-fit the 4" as a drop-in from the top side, and after a little clearancing of the dash pad, got that to sit nice and flush on the pass. side at least. But I don't think I'm going to have enough time to finish that part of the install before I have to hit the road, unfortnately.

I ended up just swapping in the 4x10's that came out of my Regal years ago, for the rear speakers. The magnet size was almost double the size of the ones I removed from the truck. Just a quick test and they already sound worlds better, and they are just a single cone stock piece, although it is a Delco premium speaker at least. I would like to get a 2-way upgrade in there eventually.

By the way, my Custom Deluxe did NOT have the factory speaker brackets to even mount a 3.5".
SOLD Dec 2014
Old 08-13-2012, 04:26 PM   #10
Jeepwm69

I put pioneer 4"'s in the corners of the dash, two Blaupunt 3.5"'s in a plate that goes in the middle speaker, and two 6x9's in custom brackets I bought from a board member here a couple years ago.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...345494&page=12

The plate to put the 2 3.5's in the middle hole was around $7 on ebay.

Sound is great a low volume, but I need an amp with the low power head unit I'm running.

Definitely put 4" in the corners though.
Jeepwm69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:55 PM   #11
TDS-MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepwm69 View Post
I put pioneer 4"'s in the corners of the dash. . .

Definitely put 4" in the corners though.
Did you get your 4" under the dash, or drop in from above? Ive got a set of Pioneers that I can drop in, but the magnet and cage on my JBL's doesn't seem to clear as well, at least from top-side. Undermount would be a different story obviously. I lost motivation to fight with that method once it started raining on me in the driveway, though. And probably having to remove the dash cluster for access at drivers side also dampened my enthusiasm yesterday.
SOLD Dec 2014
Old 08-14-2012, 11:09 AM   #12
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

my solution
Attached Images

motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:46 PM   #13
Jeepwm69

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDS-MN View Post
Did you get your 4" under the dash, or drop in from above? Ive got a set of Pioneers that I can drop in, but the magnet and cage on my JBL's doesn't seem to clear as well, at least from top-side. Undermount would be a different story obviously. I lost motivation to fight with that method once it started raining on me in the driveway, though. And probably having to remove the dash cluster for access at drivers side also dampened my enthusiasm yesterday.
Pulled Dash pad, bolted speakers to metal, put dash pad back on top of the speakers.
Jeepwm69 is offline   Reply With Quote