The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-10-2012, 09:49 PM   #1
looney

1st time restoration, need advise

Just bought my son a 1971 GMC so he and I can restore. Any advise on where to start, find parts, what to look for etc. truck has good motor and tranny. Bed rough, but I can live with the rest. I also found another I can buy that has been sitting in a barn for 30 years no rust solid and straight. Motor is locked maybe easy to free. I can get it for a grand. Is that a fair price. I could sell parts from the one that's running ( fenders doors hood ) but can I get my grand back.
Posted via Mobile Device
looney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:26 PM   #2
WIDESIDE72

Re: 1st time restoration, need advise

If the barn truck is solid, really "SOLID", i would think it would be worth $1k, especially in your neck of the woods. Any idea of yr model, swb vs lwb and options? All of these make a difference on value as well as if it has a title. (A swb Cheyenne Super 10fleetside with a BB is worth more than a Custom 20 lwb stepside with a 6 cylinder)

It might be worthwhile to use good parts from each of the two trucks to make one. I have done that a few times, and sell the rest. You might even come out of it with a truck for free in the long run if you have the space to part them.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:36 PM   #3
WIDESIDE72

I would suggest:
1. Deciding if you want to take two to make one

2. Clean truck (s) up and go over them to see what you need, what is good on each, etc

3. Make a game plan as to how you want to proceed , such as whether to keep it together and do small project, (which I suggest to keep from loosing interest) vs tearing it down and doing a complete resto. Also decide whether it will be 100% stock, daily driver with a few upgrades (such as adding PS PB if not equipped, swapping in an OD trans) or full out custom (airbags, LS engine, shaved handles, etc)

4. Start browsing on theis forum and the parts forum for parts and advice.

I am sure that you have probably already ordered some free catalogs from vendors like GMC Pauls, Brothers or LMC. These are good for reference, but there are vendors here on the board that deserve a shot.

My other advice would be to hit swap meets and Craigslist for items you need. You would be suprised what you will come across. I personally like to use OEM/ NOS parts as much as possible. The fit and quality is hard to beat. I have a 72 swb just out of the paint shop that had to have both front fenders, hood rockers cab corners and parts of the floorboard replaced. I tracked down original front fenders tailgate and hood and had doors reskinned due to the fact that repro parts have a reputation for poor fit. I had to go repro on cab corners, rockers and floor, but aftermarket parts for these have a reputation for fitting OK. I also had to go repro on the front bed panel due to not being able to find a good orignal.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:40 PM   #4
WIDESIDE72

Good luck and welcome to the hobby! If you play your cards right, it is a good way to keep your son out of trouble. Keep the truck running as much as possible between projects and use it as a tool (reward good grades by buying parts, etc)to keep him out of trouble.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:02 PM   #5
PAWS 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDESIDE72 View Post
Good luck and welcome to the hobby! If you play your cards right, it is a good way to keep your son out of trouble. Keep the truck running as much as possible between projects and use it as a tool (reward good grades by buying parts, etc)to keep him out of trouble.
I agree 100% on this. It may get costly sometimes but well worth it.

Go look at the barn truck and if it is in good shape do a his and mine if possible.Good luck on whatever you do.Jason

Let see some pics.
PAWS 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:02 PM   #6
looney

Thanks for the info. The one I bought is 71 gmc which runs great but fenders doors and bed are in need of work. The one that's been in the barn is a 72 gmc with almost no rust. The motor is locked but most all body parts and interior are in great shape. Both have power steering and breaks and are long wheel base I was thinking of getting the other and doing like you said and use most of its body and selling parts off the one that's running. Also one in barn may be hard to get title.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-10-2012, 11:06 PM   #7
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Welcome to the board!!

If you get the 2nd truck and it has a title, I would try to get the engine to turn over. Right or wrong here's how i have done it in the past. Take the spark plugs out and squirt a good dose of penetrating oil into each cylinder. (not WD-40) Let it set for a day or two and spray it again. Try and move the spray tube around in the hole to get the cylinder walls covered with oil. Block the wheels and put the trans in neutral. Take off the flywheel/clutch inspection cover and try to turn the flywheel with a LARGE screwdriver or pry bar. If you can get it to move, pry one way for a ways then go back the other way. Every so often spray more penetrating oil into the plug holes. Keep doing this until you get it to turn all the way around. If it turns fairly easy try it with the starter and see what it does.. Keep spraying with the lube and turning it over until it spins freely. It will spray lube all over the place out of the plug holes so be prepared for that...

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:13 PM   #8
looney

Getting title to barn truck may not be possible but hoping parting will pay for itself
Posted via Mobile Device