The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-11-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
70monte

What would be a realistic offer?

Someone is selling a 72 chevy truck that I'm interested in. He bought it off of the original owners. It is a factory 402 BB with auto tranny and has AC. That is pretty much it for options. It does still have the original AM radio in it, the original hub caps, as well as the owner's manual. It has the rubber floor covering instead of carpet. It has around 133,000 original miles on it. From his description and the two pictures he sent me, the truck looks all original. It is that darker yellow color with white roof. He says it does have some rust in the rockers and on the bed but that the floors are solid. He said the truck is straight other wise. He said it runs good and that all of the lights and gauges work. I have not seen the truck in person yet since it is a little ways off from where I live. I plan on trying to go look at it this week if he still has it and I've asked for some more pictures.

From the driver's side view of the picture he sent, the rocker panel rust on that side is not very visable. You can see some rust holes over the rear tire on the lip of the bed. I would post the two pictures he sent but I can't find my cell phone cord to hook up to the computer.

He is asking 2,500 OBO. The price seems pretty good compared to a lot of other trucks of this body style that I see for sale around here but I would like to hear what you guys think. Thanks for any input.

Wayne
70monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:19 PM   #2
VA72C10
VA72C10

Re: What would be a realistic offer?

Short or long bed? The nice things about 72 are disc brakes. And if all the pulleys and brackets and frame mounts are on the engine those can sell for around 1000 if it has ps and a/c
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by VA72C10; 08-11-2012 at 07:28 PM.
VA72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:22 PM   #3
70monte

It is a long bed. I forgot to ask if it had PS and I'm pretty sure he said all of the AC stuff was there but that it needed to be charged. I will have to find out. So, are you saying that this truck is only worth about a $1,000? Most of the stuff around here for that price look almost junkyard bound. Thanks.

Wayne
Old 08-11-2012, 09:20 PM   #4
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70monte View Post
It is a long bed. I forgot to ask if it had PS and I'm pretty sure he said all of the AC stuff was there but that it needed to be charged. I will have to find out. So, are you saying that this truck is only worth about a $1,000? Most of the stuff around here for that price look almost junkyard bound. Thanks.

Wayne
If it was a short bed I was going to say it was worth more than asking price...

The 1000 was just for the engine brackets/pulleys/mounts for the big block. They are worth 800-1000 easily by themselves.

If the truck is in as good of condition as described and it's what you want....then I'd say it's worth 2000+/- The rust over the bed arch usually means there's a good amount elsewhere...check the firewall around the a/c box, look around the visors for rust in the roof area, and check the cab supports and inner rockers...

It's probably worth at least 1000 even as a parts truck...engine if running could fetch a decent amount/ th400, bb exhaust brackets, heat shield, radiator, and fan shroud all have value so if it's a big block truck you're wanting it's a good start (assuming everything is there) Even if you plan to put a small block in it, there is a good value to sell all those parts to recoup your investment.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:12 PM   #5
70monte

Thanks for the reply. I did ask about the roof and he said it had no rust along the roof edges. I do want a BB truck so I wouldn't want to sell that stuff. I will look at all of those areas when I go look at it.

Wayne
Old 08-11-2012, 11:21 PM   #6
71swb4x4

I think it's worth the asking price unless there is a lot of rust. I wouldn't feel bad at all paying $2,500 if it's as you described.
Of course take a look at it and put your eyes on it, don't buy it sight-unseen.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:08 AM   #7
70monte

I would not buy it site unseen as I know that descriptions and pictures can be very deceiving. Thanks for your input.

Wayne
Old 08-14-2012, 06:55 PM   #8
70monte

Well, the seller sent me some more pictures and I figured out how to save them on the computer so I will post them here. It turns out it's a 72 GMC and not a chevy and looks like it might have more rust then I first thought by looking at the other pictures.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:56 PM   #9
70monte

Here are some more pics.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:59 PM   #10
70monte

Two more.

So now that you have seen these pictures, what would be a good price and would you even mess with it at all? Thanks.

Wayne
Old 08-14-2012, 07:00 PM   #11
71swb4x4

Do you have any more pictures? It doesn't look like the rust is too bad in those pictures.
It does appear like it could have a 69/70 grille on it.

Edit: I was looking at pictures and typing while you were posting more. I only saw the first set. The doors are 72 so it's either a 72 grille with the paint removed or someone replaced the grille at one time. That is a lot of rust. I think I would pass on it for that price.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:05 PM   #12
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

What are your plans with the truck? I'd be checking the upper inside windshield portion of the cab, and if that is good, I don't think $2500 is way out of line. Mainly due to the fact it is a big block with a/c, and also should have 5 lug hubs. If this is a project you want to take on, I'd say it is a very good starting point.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:09 PM   #13
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

There is a lot of rust in those rocker panels. Which means there is prolly more in the floor pans. Is that rust I see actually coming through the bed? It looks like it is rusting where the bed braces are. Check the roofline in the cab for rust along the top corners of the windshield and pillars.

Looks like a $1,500 to $2,000 dollar truck to me. Only because of the 402 and the A/C.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:40 PM   #14
69GWC

From what I found looking around before I bought mine its priced about right for its shape and the fact its a bigblock truck.
Find another bed and rockers/cab corners are about standard around here anyway. Offer him like $1800 and go from there
Posted via Mobile Device
69GWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:52 PM   #15
70chevytruck

my max would be $1500. needs a new bed and massive rust repair. part it out.

70chevytruck
70chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:06 PM   #16
70monte

Thanks for the replies. I did ask him about the roof and he said there are no rust holes in the top or along the front. He also said the floors were good but with looking at these new pictures, I don't know if I believe that or not.

I think those are rust holes in the bed because he did mention that the bed did have a few holes in it. It looks like there might be a rust hole in the tailgate also. I figured the bed would have to be replaced anyway.

I have always wanted this body style of GM truck and my plans are to restore one. I want a factory BB truck and I have not found many around here for sale. The few that I have seen have been pretty rusty. Most of the trucks of this generation that I have seen around here are rusty so I expect to have to deal with some rust. I just don't want to deal with a major rustbucket as far as the cab goes.

Are the GMC versions of these trucks more rare than the Chevy ones? What I like about this truck is that it appears to be all original with nothing really missing. Most of the trucks that I have looked at were not close to being original as far as engine parts and interiors go. I'm going to think about it and call the guy and see about going to see it. It's about 75 miles away from me so it's a little bit of a trip to go look at. Thanks again for all of the input.

Wayne
Old 08-14-2012, 08:14 PM   #17
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70chevytruck View Post
my max would be $1500. needs a new bed and massive rust repair. part it out.
Part that truck out due to rust? LMAO! Don't come up north and ever look at any old iron.

This screams SWB conversion to me!
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:47 PM   #18
69GWC

The plus side of that truck is you can see right what your getting a truck that some dumbass has not rigged up,patched up and slapped a crappy paint job on and thinks its worth $3500 or more only to find out it needs the same amount of work and money and this truck..lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-14-2012, 09:51 PM   #19
70monte

I will probably go see it in the next few days if my schedule allows. I doubt he will come down off of the price that much since he made the comment when I first talked to him the other day that the truck is worth what he is asking and that the woman who sold it to him was asking $3,500 for it. I don't know what he ended up paying for it. I would have to see the underneath of the truck to see if I really want to mess with it.

I passed on a 70 last year that was an original BB truck that the original owner's grandson was selling that had quite a bit of rust on it for $2,000. I also passed on a 72 1/2 ton 350 powered truck the same color as this GMC that was probably a little rustier than this one and they were asking $2,100 OBO. It was a Cheyenne and had the factory cab lights and cargo lamp that I like as well as AC but it had more rust than I liked for the price. I may just have to wait a little while and buy a higher priced, higher quality truck.

The question is, how much rust is too much for most of you to want to deal with? It seems like it's hard to find good rust free examples so that fixing rust is almost a given.

Wayne
Old 08-14-2012, 09:58 PM   #20
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70monte View Post
I may just have to wait a little while and buy a higher priced, higher quality truck.
This is your best bet.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:25 AM   #21
TrkEnvy

I'd take 2K in cash and tell him take it or leave it. Like it was said earlier.. Even if you get it home and decide it is too much work for you to save, the parts are worth more than what you got in it..
Posted via Mobile Device
TrkEnvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:44 PM   #22
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Part that truck out due to rust? LMAO! Don't come up north and ever look at any old iron.

This screams SWB conversion to me!
Yep. Damn good parts truck for your big block shortbed project!
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:39 PM   #23
70monte

Well I talked to the owner tonight. We again talked about the truck and it's condition. He again said there is no rust above the windshield or in the cowl area. He again said the floor pans are good and that it's mostly the rocker panels and the bed that have the most rust problems. He did said it probably needs a new bed because the bed body panels are pretty expensive. He said he has looked up the parts at LMC and other places. He said the bottom of the doors are good as well as the frame.

He did say the truck probably needs a tuneup and maybe the carburator rebuilt. It still has the Q-jet on it. He also said it has new tires and a new battery. He also said that it still has the spare tire carrier under the bed with a spare tire in it. He said all of the windows are good and that they all roll up and down good.

He said they had lowered the price of the truck to $2,000 but that he would take $1,500 for it which is how much money he said he had in the truck. He said he would not take less than this. I didn't even have to dicker on the price as he brought the price up and offered the $1,500 price.

I told him I would buy the truck for that price as long as it's in the condition he claims. He and his daughter are going out of town tomorrow and won't be back until Tuesday. He said the truck is mine if I want it and that he will tell people it's sold, so it appears I'm going to finally be an owner of this generation of truck.

I figure for this price, if it does have more rust than he says, I can always part the truck out and get my money back or not even buy it at all when I go down to get it.

Wayne
Old 08-16-2012, 09:46 PM   #24
69GWC

Good deal sounds like a good price to me just don't seem like you will get hurt on it even if you had to part it out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-16-2012, 10:40 PM   #25
72ironmike

"question is, how much rust is too much for most of you to want to deal with? It seems like it's hard to find good rust free examples so that fixing rust is almost a given."

Wayne, Looks like a good deal at 1500. I like to stay with fixing just cab corners and rockers. If I could work metal at all I'd entertain floors and cab supports.
72ironmike is offline   Reply With Quote