The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #1
speedkills

engine wiring harness

im looking at the harness on my 63 c20 and see red, black, purple and green wires... the green is the oil pressure, can someone else tell me where the other 3 go? im pretty sure its the started but i do not know the order. thanks guys
speedkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:17 PM   #2
Chevy Fleetside

Re: engine wiring harness

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedkills View Post
im looking at the harness on my 63 c20 and see red, black, purple and green wires... the green is the oil pressure, can someone else tell me where the other 3 go? im pretty sure its the started but i do not know the order. thanks guys
Green is Temp. Purple goes to the S side of the starter. The red if a 12 gauge would be Battery on the starter and I don't know about the black wire without a pic. I don't know about oil pressure as my trucks have a manual gauge not elec. Also the red and black could be for the coil. A picture would really help.

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #3
speedkills

Old 08-12-2012, 08:47 PM   #4
speedkills

i have the harness up to the plug, aftet that its cut off, right now it starts with a remote switch. the distributor is a hei so for now its hooked up directly to the battery
Old 08-12-2012, 10:07 PM   #5
Chevy Fleetside

From my bad memory. I know the purple wire goes to the S on the starter. The red and black look like the coil which you won't need. the green is for the temp sender. You can take the wire from the HEI and attach it to the fuse box on the terminal marked Batt. This is what some guys have done. I hooked mine up to the Pink wire from the switch which works also. Someone help me here if I am wrong about where these wires go. it is so much easier when I am doing the work. I am using an aftermarket harness in my truck. Do no hook the HEI to the Red coil wire.

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:31 AM   #6
speedkills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy Fleetside View Post
From my bad memory. I know the purple wire goes to the S on the starter. The red and black look like the coil which you won't need. the green is for the temp sender. You can take the wire from the HEI and attach it to the fuse box on the terminal marked Batt. This is what some guys have done. I hooked mine up to the Pink wire from the switch which works also. Someone help me here if I am wrong about where these wires go. it is so much easier when I am doing the work. I am using an aftermarket harness in my truck. Do no hook the HEI to the Red coil wire.
thank you, you were dead on, sorry for the late reply, just wanted to thank you for the advice