The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-15-2012, 12:48 AM   #1
1986gmc

electric choke replacement problems

So I replaced my electric choke on my holley carb on my 86 gmc, cause the fast idle cam was broke. But now that I got the new choke in. I start the truck up and it goes straight to between 4000 to 5000rpms.So I push the air intake down to about where its suppose to be, and set the choke. But i think the choke just keeps opening all the way cause it never stays. I dont really know anything about carbs im trying to learn. This is my first carbureted vechicle, i bought it to restore. but now i cant get it to run cus of this problem. I dont know it that is enough details on the problem or not
1986gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:04 AM   #2
frog210

Re: electric choke replacement problems

Have you messed with your idle screw or gas screw(don't know what its called sorry)
Posted via Mobile Device
frog210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:09 AM   #3
1986gmc

Idle screw i did a little, but i put it back to where it was. i dont think thats the problem. and gas screw im not sure where that is even at lol, are you talking about the mixture screws?
Old 08-15-2012, 08:58 AM   #4
tucsonjwt

Suggest that you convert to manal choke - all choke problems solved fr $12 investment.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:07 AM   #5
1986gmc

That is true. you jave to run something into the cab right?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-15-2012, 09:19 AM   #6
tucsonjwt

Yes. Mount a small bracket under the dash, run the sheathed cable through existing hole with grommet in the firewall, loop cable toward choke area (behind/over distributor), secure cable with other clip provided by removing/reinstalling any bolt near the carburetor, remove black bakelite cover on the choke, install new bakelite choke cover with lever attached, attach cable to lever with set screw, adjust choke cable to choke valve in fully closed position with engine cold (just barely closed, don't go too far), leave a little bit of the choke button away from the bracket under the dash when choke is fully open (this allows you to be sure that the choke is all the way open - if you let the button bottom out on the bracket in the full open position the cable might stretch/loosen over time and you think the choke is fully open when it is not.) I am not familiar with Holleys - I assume they have the same choke mechanism as a Qjet.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:20 AM   #7
geezer#99

Take some pics of your carb and we'll get you fixed up!!
If you can't get your electric figured out how will you get a manual choke working right.
Take some pics!
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:26 AM   #8
FrankieD

To set the choke with the engine cold and key off push the throttle to the floor then release it this will set the choke then loosen the 3 choke screws and adjust it closed or open if is to tight, with a small gap do not make it closed tight, tighten the screws. Then hold the throttle wide open and the choke should open up about 1/2 -3/4in. Check the fast idle cam and screw on the left side it should be set to around 1000 to 1200rpm. For your mixture screws (front) rule of thumb is screw then all the way in (don’t force) then back them out 1 ½ turns then adjust from there to a smooth idle. Hope this helps
http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
FrankieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:39 PM   #9
tucsonjwt

I have had 3 squares with both electric and hot air chokes. I have also owned several carburetor equipped vehicles with various versions of chokes. I have never been able to adjust any of them to work properly all of the time. So, I have installed manual chokes. Manual chokes are easy to install and adjust - installation takes about 20-30 minutes with an unskilled installer like me.

My hat is off to those who can adjust a choke and make it work properly all of the time. I have wasted too many $$$ and hours paying expert "mechanics" to adjust my chokes with no satisfactory result.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:12 PM   #10
cjlinkster

Over the spring, I converted my hot air choke to an electric choke. that's probably the best $40 that I have spent my truck. Some like manual chokes; I like electric chokes best.

The choke should fully open within a minute or two, so if it is opening all the way that is fine. The high idle is being caused by the idle setting.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:43 PM   #11
1986gmc

well to let you all know i figured out the problem and i feel like a major dumbass, but I mixed up two spark plug wires when i installed new plugs, right before I replaced the choke. Now its just the matter of I think my timing is off a little, which i believe is the colprit to the truck running rough and missing a little. or valve issues.Thanks geezer, ill keep that in mind next time i run into a problem ill put some pics up, but for now i think problem is solved lol. And to FrankieD thanks for that input i was a little lost on how to adjust that stuff, that was a big help appreciate it. who knows i might look into a manual choke seems so much simpler.