The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-15-2012, 03:16 PM   #1
Lost81c10

Question on cab heat shield/deadening material

Need some help; I have a couple of questions,

I took out my seat to clean the carper and want to replace the sheet of asphalt as this makes the cab stink like I have been working under the engine all day, now I speculate the asphalt sheet is what is causing the odor because while everything was out for cleaning the cab had no smell but once I put the asphalt sheet back in, the smell came back. I don’t want to put the carpet and seat back in until I replace the black sheet. Now I was surprised that the floor looked as good as it does. I was ready for rust spots.
My questions are:
Q1 - Which of the two is the sound deadening and which is the heat shield (I have an idea but want to be sure)?
Q2 - If the asphalt sheet is the heat shield, what material can I replace it with that is not asphalt base?
I have looked into RAAMaudio, SDS, Dynamat, Fatmat, the new Rhinomat and the likes but not sure if they are also heat shields suited to replace the factory heat shield:
Any help would be appreciated and please correct me if I am wrong on the above mentioned ones.
Attached Images

Lost81c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
Johnny Merder

Re: Question on cab heat shield/deadening material

I used Dynamat and my cab is cool and quiet.
Attached Images

Johnny Merder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:11 PM   #3
Johnny Merder

Dynamat isn't asphalt and has no smell at all.
Johnny Merder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:19 PM   #4
GCncsuHD
Charlie Daniels w/ a Tq Wrench

The asphalt sheet deadens heavy vibrations in the panels. It doesn't do much for heat or higher pitched noise such as road/engine noise. A product like Dynamat, RaamAudio BXT, etc would do similar without the asphalt smell as those would be butyl based.

The foam carpet pad works to block higher pitched noises and to insulate from heat.

Honestly, the way it was installed wasn't helping things, the asphalt/butyl based sound deadener would be more effective against the actual metal panels, as it would "load" them and keep them from vibrating. Also, the heavy asphalt would have been crushing the foam, thus reducing it's R-value and therefore making it a little less effective at insulating against heat and sound.

Also there are plenty of different versions of Dynamat, and other brands out there, some combine the foam and butyl rubber insulation and sound dampening properties.

There are plenty of guys that knows more than me on this subject, but this is what I have gathered.
78 K30 Dually Semi-Retired Fire Truck 350/SM465 35"s
SOLD01 2500HD ECSB 6.0 4x4 5.13's 8" lift 38"s
GCncsuHD is offline   Reply With Quote