The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-17-2012, 09:45 AM   #1
markreed

First Step Towards Performance

I think my 64 GMC 1/2 ton has an outstanding platform to start slowly working on performance. Although I have a few projects here and there...(still working on the front disk brakes, wiring, interior...) I would like to make her have a little more "go."

I am not too familiar with 1/4 mile times for these trucks, and not too concerned with it either. Low 14's...maybe. I really just want a little extra power to drive around and feel. I love the feel of torque and acceleration. I do not want to build to the level of unreliability.

My platform to build on (thanks to everyone for helping me dig through each component and ID)...
1970 SBO 350, #6 Heads, Performer Olds 350 intake mani, 4bbl Edlebrock carb, TH400 tranny, and a Dana 44 with 3.56 gears (43-16)

I would love some input on things to do first. I want to build this the right way, so even if it takes a while to save some cash, I want to put the right parts in, being mindful I am not gonna buy a $900 cam that will sacrifice my brake booster. I just want some nice gain.

As always...Thanks, you guys are an awesome resource!
markreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:53 AM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: First Step Towards Performance

Spending 900$ on a cam would be a mistake in any situation

I had a 355 in my truck before my 6L, and ran "budget" performance. Picked up a new Comp Xtreme 4wd cam (not super high lift, plenty of vacuum) and it was new but bought it used for less than $250
Get some headers/shorties of your local craigslist for $1-200

I know that its a bit harder with the Olds motor, but you should still be able to find stuff used. Try out the HAMB, since it seems the olds platform is more popular for those guys building "out there" customs and rods than it would be on here.

Does the SBO use any similar ports or bolt patterns than the SBC uses?

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
markreed

Thanks for the input!

The $900 cam was a little bit of a joke (though I have seen a set of $1250 headers .

I will check out some other places as well. I have looked in some of the Olds forums, but they are not a good or friendly as the folks around here.

As far as parts that work for both SBC and SBO, I am not sure what parts can work...I know headers and things like that will not.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
biohazardbill

Call Crane Cams and tell them what you are looking to do, they can recommend the right cam to fit your needs, then put on intake, and headers maybe... then hit the gas
biohazardbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:40 PM   #5
markreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by biohazardbill View Post
Call Crane Cams and tell them what you are looking to do, they can recommend the right cam to fit your needs, then put on intake, and headers maybe... then hit the gas