The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-17-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
DoubleL

Need advice on priorities

Okay guys I need some advice. I just sold my Daily driver so now my '66 is my only rig. I drive 25 miles round trip to work. I have replaced all hoses and gaskets, full tune-up, new belt and oil change. Basically I have been prepping it to drive on a regular basis. Here is my dilemma:
I have a few bucks to put into it (about $500) right now. I will be able to gradually put more into it. I am trying to prioritize things right now. Here are the things it needs:

The rear end = it's howling pretty good at 30-40 MPH ( I know of a 3.73 Posi I can get a hold of for $400) I don't know if I will install by myself yet.

Tires = Legal tread but barely, definitely not driving them through winter. Thought about buying used to make do.

The other Stuff = Gas gauge isn't working properly, (not fun) speedometer cable broken ( replaced with new and broke new cable within 50 miles) Doors have no key, (can't keep valuables inside) heater only works on lowest speed. Couple of small but bad rust areas.

Any ideas, opinions?
DoubleL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

Re: Need advice on priorities

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleL View Post
Okay guys I need some advice. I just sold my Daily driver so now my '66 is my only rig. I drive 25 miles round trip to work. I have replaced all hoses and gaskets, full tune-up, new belt and oil change. Basically I have been prepping it to drive on a regular basis. Here is my dilemma:
I have a few bucks to put into it (about $500) right now. I will be able to gradually put more into it. I am trying to prioritize things right now. Here are the things it needs:

The rear end = it's howling pretty good at 30-40 MPH ( I know of a 3.73 Posi I can get a hold of for $400) I don't know if I will install by myself yet.

Tires = Legal tread but barely, definitely not driving them through winter. Thought about buying used to make do.

The other Stuff = Gas gauge isn't working properly, (not fun) speedometer cable broken ( replaced with new and broke new cable within 50 miles) Doors have no key, (can't keep valuables inside) heater only works on lowest speed. Couple of small but bad rust areas.

Any ideas, opinions?
I would take care of the rear end since that could lock up and when they do, it's always the worst possible time. Then I would replace the tires as the other immediate safety item.
Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:16 PM   #3
CRGRS 66

Stopping, then steering, then reliability would be my number one/two/three priorities.
What do you have for brakes (particularly front brakes), and what condition are they in?
Good tires, at the very least on the front, for sure should be a priority. I would personally never buy used tires, unless they were like new.

My build thread, CRGRS 66 Winter Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...09#post5638709
CRGRS 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:59 PM   #4
DoubleL

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGRS 66 View Post
Stopping, then steering, then reliability would be my number one/two/three priorities.
What do you have for brakes (particularly front brakes), and what condition are they in?
Good tires, at the very least on the front, for sure should be a priority. I would personally never buy used tires, unless they were like new.
I have stock drum brakes all the way around. They are in good shape but a disc/power brake swap is in the future.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:00 PM   #5
DoubleL

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin63 View Post
I would take care of the rear end since that could lock up and when they do, it's always the worst possible time. Then I would replace the tires as the other immediate safety item.
Kinda the direction I was leaning
Old 08-17-2012, 02:28 PM   #6
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleL View Post
Kinda the direction I was leaning
I wouldn't worry about a $400.00 posi unit. there is more than likely someone around who has a decent gearset or rear axle that will work in your truck for not much money. safety first-tires. you can always find another posi unit later and at 400.00 that guy may still have it a year or 2 from now
I will pm you a fellow if you want from the eastern part of the state who may be able to help you on a gear set
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote