The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #1
jtbart

My 64 starting Blues

Hi everyone. I recently purchased this 64 swb fleetside with a fairly new 350. I wasn't in the market for a truck, but found a guy needing to sell, and convinced my wife by telling her we could make some money on it if we got it for a good price. They guy was wanting $4500 but I offered $1200 cash and a couple of diamond rings and he accepted. I only had $300 in the rings so I was out $1500 total. Felt pretty good at this point. I knew it needed a few things: driver's door latch, ignition lock, steering box, and a few other odds and ends.
And then the fun began. The next day she wouldn't start. I replaced the ignition switch along with the lock cylinder, but it didn't help. My initial thought was the battery, as the truck had been sitting a while I figured the battery may have been weak. But, put a different battery in still nothing. The odd thing is, I'll leave it alone for a day, go out & turn the key to run, the lights, horn, etc. will work for a few seconds, but won't start therafter the accessories won't work. Does the same thing with the other battery.
I'm afraid it's the wiring, but don't know where to start. If anybody has experienced something similar, I'd appreciate any suggestions.
Here are some pics (hopefully I posted right).
Name:  Truck 001.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  52.2 KB

Name:  Truck 002.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  41.7 KB

Name:  Truck 003.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  58.8 KB
jtbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:36 AM   #2
oem4me

Re: My 64 starting Blues

It could be as simple as cables/connections. Is everything in good shape, clean and tight?
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
padresag

there is the main wire plug in at the fire wall to the right of the master cyl. pull that apart (disconnect) clean up the terminals w/dialectic grease and put back together. just wiggling it sometimes gets it to make contact, but is best to clean and grease. you may also have grounding problems elsewhere , battery cables going green
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #4
jtbart

Engine bay wiring looks okay. Under the dash is a little messy. I don't know if it's worth it to attempt to go through all the wiring and locate it, or get a new harness. My experience with electrical is pretty limited, so I admit, I'm a little intimidated.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:14 AM   #5
padresag

did you check that connection or just look at it. old wiring may look ok; there are lots of things in this life that look good or ok, but one gets surprised by looks
ron
Old 08-20-2012, 11:20 AM   #6
jtbart

I plan on checking as soon as I get home, thanks for the suggestion. When you say "to the right of the MC", is that when standing in front of the truck looking into the engine bay?
Old 08-20-2012, 12:09 PM   #7
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbart View Post
I plan on checking as soon as I get home, thanks for the suggestion. When you say "to the right of the MC", is that when standing in front of the truck looking into the engine bay?
yes on the left side of the truck, but on the r/side of the m/c standing in the frt of the truck looking towards the f/wall
ron
Old 08-20-2012, 01:26 PM   #8
CRGRS 66

maybe the old girl is feeling a little put out for being sold for such a small amount of $$$, and she is messing with you

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Nice truck. I have found that wiring gets less intimidating when you chase one wire at a time. Eventually you should find the offending wire/connector.

Question, is it not even turning over? Are you certain there is lots of charge in the battery(s). I would recommend getting a little tester light, mine is a bit like a screw driver with a light in it, and a wire lead to connect to ground.

Good luck, and post back up as you go. Someone on here will suggest the thing that fixes your trouble.

Cheers!

My build thread, CRGRS 66 Winter Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...09#post5638709
CRGRS 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:37 PM   #9
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

I would say the ignition switch.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #10
jtbart

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGRS 66 View Post
maybe the old girl is feeling a little put out for being sold for such a small amount of $$$, and she is messing with you

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Nice truck. I have found that wiring gets less intimidating when you chase one wire at a time. Eventually you should find the offending wire/connector.

Question, is it not even turning over? Are you certain there is lots of charge in the battery(s). I would recommend getting a little tester light, mine is a bit like a screw driver with a light in it, and a wire lead to connect to ground.

Good luck, and post back up as you go. Someone on here will suggest the thing that fixes your trouble.

Cheers!
I hope that is all she is doing! It's not turning over at all. Some of the time, when I engage the ignition, the wipers/horn/lights, etc. will work for a few seconds but that is it--no turning over. Most of the time i nothing will work.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:46 PM   #11
jtbart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde65 View Post
I would say the ignition switch.
That's what I thought as well, but I replaced ignition switch and still nothing. My next course of action is cut off the pigtail connector and hard wire the switch and see if that works. The wires going into the plug look a little boogered; perhaps there is a bad connection there.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:38 PM   #12
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Do you own a test light? If not, stop where you are at and get one. Start checking circuits to see if you are even getting power to them with the key on.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:02 PM   #13
Chevy Fleetside

It might be a bad battery cable. I would change those and see.

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:19 PM   #14
CRGRS 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_mike View Post
Do you own a test light? If not, stop where you are at and get one. Start checking circuits to see if you are even getting power to them with the key on.
Definitely get a test light and start checking to see where you do and don't have power. Undoubtedly you will find the problem, and just like House (you know Hugh Laurie), you will have your epiphany, and angels will sing to a crescendo! Either that or you will be driving your truck.

Seriously check and see if you have any power at the fuse box. If you have power there start chasing wires until you find where you don't have power. If you don't have any power at the fuse box, then chase the problem back towards the battery.

Don't get frustrated, this is fun... really!

My build thread, CRGRS 66 Winter Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...09#post5638709
Old 08-20-2012, 07:48 PM   #15
krayzog

I had a similar ignition gremlin that I fought for years. It was totally intermittent, sometimes worked fine, sometimes not at all. I finally tracked it down to a bad connection on the starter solenoid. I feel for you, it's no fun.

1961 Apache 10 SWB
krayzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:13 PM   #16
MikeS.

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles but it is a very nice-looking truck great price too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Triluminar Lodge #117 GL of WVa

My 1963 4x4 Suburban build;
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=531274

My Gallery, now with pics of my 1966 C30 motorhome.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...&ppuser=103447
MikeS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:27 AM   #17
jtbart

Well, the good new is I managed to get it to crank. I decided to start simple and I just replaced the battery cable terminals as the other ones looked to be making contact, but seemed loose. Also checked that I had a good connection at harness plug next to MC as was suggested. So, that restored my power.
Bad news is I couldn't get it to turn over. I tried for a couple of minutes but my already weakened battery crapped out on me. Now, I need to recharge it or get a new one.
I'm anticipating more problems getting it started. I'm guessing the carb isn't tuned properly among other things. When I was looking at the truck prior to buying, the PO would already have it warmed up, so I never got to witness a cold start.
I appreciate all the input. Comparatively speaking, I'm certainly an amateur mechanic, but enjoy the learning curve nonetheless.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:31 PM   #18
CRGRS 66

One step at a time my good man, get the battery charged, then see how it starts. You know it runs, as you witnessed it running, just need to get it started and solve the little issues as you go. If the battery is fully charged, and yous till have issues with it turning over, then you will need to disconnect clean, and re-install the batter cables, at both ends. Also, have a look at the power connections on the starter. Once you get it running, I would check the timing, and check for vacuum leaks before I started adjusting the carb. For $3 or $4 a PCV valve could quickly be ruled out as part of the problem. Pull out a spark plug, see how they look. When you get it running, run it at night and check to see that you don't have any plug wires arcing anywhere.
This is the fun of owning and working on one of these old trucks. From what pictures you have posted, $1200 to $1500 seems to be a steal.
Good luck, keep us posted.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:59 PM   #19
piratexpress1369a

nice find for sure

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post5457281
piratexpress1369a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:35 PM   #20
jtbart

I got it started today. Replaced the PCV and oil breather, and after a squirt of starting fluid she fired up.
Critical issue at this point is doing a proper PS install. PO had bolted on a PS box off of a ??, and it's barely hanging on by a couple of bolts. When I drover it home after purchasing (only 5 or 6 miles), it did great until I reached my neighborhood and it started wobbling/shaking violently for a couple of seconds and then stopped. I suspected the horrible steering setup, but haven't ruled out brakes as part of the problem.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:00 PM   #21
CRGRS 66

Personally, I like my manual steering. Good tires make a big difference as well as a factory steering wheel. The aftermarket wheels are quite a bit smaller, and require more effort. My $0.02

Oh, and glad to hear you got it running!

Old 08-23-2012, 04:06 PM   #22
jtbart

I wouldn't disagree with you. I wouldn't mind switching back, but I figure since there is already a working pump, I'll go ahead and get a PS box and bracket.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:26 PM   #23
CRGRS 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbart View Post
I wouldn't disagree with you. I wouldn't mind switching back, but I figure since there is already a working pump, I'll go ahead and get a PS box and bracket.
captainfab is your man for the adapter, shouldn't be any trouble getting a power box, here is a good thread on the subject
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=438509
also look at the last page of this build thread, this dude made it look super simple
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=472559
he sings the praises of captainfabs bracket, and captain fab provides a ton of technical support on this board, you will have no worries about how it will go together, and getting support from the captain is just a click away on here

Old 08-23-2012, 04:43 PM   #24
jtbart

Thanks for the links! I've looked at CaptainFab's brackets, and I'm sure I'll be ordering one. First order of business will be sourcing a gear box.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:52 PM   #25
64fleetside

Mine is a rebuilt from a local parts store. 80-up have Metric fittings but turn faster usually.
64fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote