The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-20-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
USMC45

1968 Gas Tank Reverse Relocation

What do you guys think about relocating the gas tank by basically reversing it into the bed. *Exactly how it's mounted behind the seat, but up against the front of the bed and maybe boxing it in and make it like a false front that you wouldn't really know was there?

Has anybody done it? *Pros and Cons?
Posted via Mobile Device
USMC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:46 PM   #2
cdowns

Re: 1968 Gas Tank Reverse Relocation

you cant carry as much cool stuff home
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

To go through all that work to not gain anything, and lose bed space... I don't get it personally.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:31 PM   #4
USMC45

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
To go through all that work to not gain anything, and lose bed space... I don't get it personally.

Gary
Well basically, I'm not small and would like more room in the cab, I pretty much pedal with my ankle for lack of leg room. Yes I own 2 trucks, but I don't ever haul anything and probably won't ever haul much anyways(yup im that guy). Both my trucks are just weekend hot rod cruisers, nothing more nothing less. I just enjoy the feeling of bullying those Fast Light Sports Cars in my Slow Heavy Trucks, and seeing their face while I blow past them like they are sitting still is priceless. ***Thats the reason***

Just thought it would look trick if done right and every one seems to have problems relocating the tank in between the frame underneath.
Posted via Mobile Device
USMC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:32 PM   #5
seafoam68

Well, it would prevent you from sitting on 20 gals. of gas in the event something went south.
seafoam68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:36 PM   #6
seafoam68

The more I think about this, the more I like it. You could prob. get another bed end piece and use in back of the tank and sheet metal in over the top. The filler hose would go through the side of the bed? Hmmmn wheels are turning!
seafoam68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:12 PM   #7
SS Tim

Funny, I had been thinking along similar lines for a different reason. The idea is to build a 10' bed on a 157" 1-ton frame. Problem is California limits (by code) pickup boxes to 9'. Since I only need the top rails that long, adding a solid top compartment with a 40 gal water tank at the front would make it work. Might take a look at some of the longhorn pictures to see how the extension was added forward of the bed side flanges and basically do a narrowed reverse of it and add another modified forward bed panel.
Attached Images

SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:13 PM   #8
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I would still think that the under bed location farther to the rear would add more weight where you need it and take it away from the front.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:43 PM   #9
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
I would still think that the under bed location farther to the rear would add more weight where you need it and take it away from the front.
Oh, I agree. But it seems that most of the rear tank conversions are fraught with problems that I believe are a matter of trying to shortcut or make "cooler" than the factory Blazer/Suburban installation. Attention to venting is very important. But for a straight foward, factory reliable installation, a tank could be installed up front, just protect it well.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:14 PM   #10
68corvair

Wink Re: 1968 Gas Tank Reverse Relocation

Did that exact conversion on my 71 cheyanne long bed.lost only 8 inches in the bed . I like it much better than the under bed converssions. Basicly all I did was mount tank against the headerpanel,and mounted another used header against the tank. I some strips of closed cell foam on both sides to hold it firmly in place,I made a angle iron frame to mount the second header to,then made acover for the top. Easy,cheap,no ugly tank hanging under the truck.I will try to post some pics tomorrow Ed
68corvair is offline   Reply With Quote