The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-20-2012, 02:16 PM   #1
Boostaddict

TH350c Vacuum Switch Question

Since I knew nothing about the TH350c before this weekend (didn't even know I had one) I did a bunch of searching/reading the last couple days. Background info on my question/problem I could use feedback on:

On our '80 k25 the original 350 engine blew a few years ago. Since I was in a bind a friend (who lives a few hours away) trailered the truck to his place and he put in a spare 400 he had on hand for me. Since then the truck never shifted quite right… shifted into 3rd really low (big clunk) and the engine bogged. Auto transmissions are about the only thing foreign to me so I never thought much of it until recently when it refused to start shifting into 3rd (or so I thought). A different co-worker that rebuilds transmissions said he'd take a look at it for me (he also lives a few hours away). He currently has the truck on a hoist at his place. He said it has a th350c in it (thats cool) and that it was the torque converter failure that caused the trans to not shift into 3rd and that it was actually the lockup trying to engage too early that was likely the problem.

So here is my question. He asked me if the lockup wiring is good. I had no idea. He said the thinks the lockup for this trans is self contained with only 1 power wire (from brake switch at fuse box) and he said the wiring is there still hooked up at the trans. After doing a bunch of reading it seems that there "should" be a vacuum switch on the firewall that I suspect was disconnected (electrical or vacuum line) when the engine was swapped and maybe that’s the cause of the premature TC failure. Since the truck is on a hoist hours away I can only look at an old engine bay picture I took prior to starting a clean-up/restoration project earlier this year… is that the vacuum switch in this picture below (arrow)? If so then I don't think the vacuum line is hooked up since the only vac lines on the engine go to the modulator on the trans and another to the distributor. Thanks,

Wayne
BTW, the engine bay looks completely different (clean) now

Old 08-20-2012, 02:30 PM   #2
Boostaddict

Re: TH350c Vacuum Switch Question

I also read that the pressure switch in the trans itself is only there so that the lock-up doesn't activate until its in 3rd gear. This switch is what was confusing my co-worker I think. He said he could replace this pressure switch with a higher psi one (50psi I think he said) to delay the lock-up to a higher rpm, but if the vacuum switch is hooked back up I suspect that is what will make the biggest difference.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:02 PM   #3
Boostaddict

Re: TH350c Vacuum Switch Question

Okay got the truck back with the trans rebuilt. That was the vacuum switch on the firewall... the vacuum line was not hooked up. I hooked it back up and the lockup isn't working, so I'll have to troubleshoot everything (yeah)...
Boostaddict is offline   Reply With Quote