The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-22-2012, 12:09 AM   #1
78bronzechariot

Cloning my own Truck

I had always wanted a '67 C10 since I was a kid. Then when I was a little older of a kid, I bought a very rusty '67 that was "ready for paint" from a not so reputable custom shop. I sprayed paint on it, bought a bunch of little parts and drove it for quite a while, rattles, squeaks, leaks and all. Then 4 years ago I wanted safety,reliability and fuel economy so I was early on the LSx train and dropped a 2002 Vortec 4.8 and 4l60e in it (some things I did there I am not so proud of since pre made swap parts and information was much more scarce at the time), and rebuilt the front end with '72 disk brakes. Amongst all of those things I hated my regular job as a mechanic, I ended up as a mechanic/shop manager at a high quality restoration shop and have learned so much about proper bodywork restoration techniques that I realized how bad my truck was. Now the problems are starting to show through. Bondo Cab corners rusting, door patches cracking, every patch in the bed shows though paint and rust is starting to bubble up in places. I might as well say the only good pieces of sheetmetal on the truck are the grille, hood and roof. Soooo......enough of the sob story. Now I have purchased a truly "rust free" 1968 Jimmy half ton. The only stipulation from the wife is that it has to "look" like the '67 since I got it way back when we were first dating. The '68 is completely in pieces, so the plan is to pull all the drive train and suspension and interior out of the '67. Purchase a few '67 pieces of front sheet metal and make the '68 Jimmy a new '67 Chevy and paint it in the Same color scheme.

I know how everyone loves pics, unfortunately I only have some of the '67 don't have any of the '68 yet.
Attached Images

78bronzechariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:57 AM   #2
markallen

Re: Cloning my own Truck

This is the truck you made sound like a raggedy piece of junk???
markallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:06 AM   #3
78bronzechariot

It doesn't look like it, but I am certain that there are 10 gallons of bondo holding it together. I wasn't kidding about every patch in the book. cab floor is made of 7 pieces, bed sides each made of four pieces. Half the bed floor is fiber glassed because of the rust holes. Nothing was properly welded, mostly pop riveted or sheetmetal screwed and bondo'd over. Drives door is cracked at the hinges so someone welded them to the door and the door can't be adjusted to so wind and rain leak in. Passenger door is larger than the opening, so it is hard to shut and hard to open (especially for the wife). When I bought it I really didn't know much about what to look for, and I bought it off ebay so it didn't look as good when it showed up as the pictures made it seem. Since I was young, had pretty much no budget and no patience, It got painted instead of fixed. And there were some less than stellar repairs that I did. The only reason its lasted this long is it generally doesn't get driven in the weather.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:21 AM   #4
78bronzechariot

Continued from above....I hate to say it, but since I have been working at a reputable restoration shop, you would be surprised how many cars look good, even great looking cars and trucks. At least until you put them on a lift, or lay under the dash, or my personal favorite until you take it apart and have it sandblasted. We actually have two prime examples of this at work right now. We have a 69 Camaro that is going from basically stock to a full pro touring car with Detroit speed suspension a Supercharged LSA out of a new ZL1 Camaro and a t56. The car had a very nice paint job on it and looked like a car that would win a local show. When we blew it apart for the rear 4 link and tubs, it became apparent that the car was pop riveted and undercoated together, rust holes filled with bondo, and the cowl boxes and dash under the windshield rotted out and fiber glassed together. It should come back from the sadblaster tomorrow and look even worse. The other car is a 69 mustang "arizona" car even had the arizona plate and registration from 15 years ago. Got it back from the blaster. the car had been rear ended and the tailpan alone was fixed with a gallon of bondo. Quarter panels rusted out and filled with bondo, passenger quarter creased and dented. and slathered with bondo. Still a very nice mustang to start with rust wise, but it goes to show that things can be hidden and they often show up too late.

I know I have use Bondo as a four letter word. The truth is that it has its uses. When we do a car to show quality straightness, it will get skimmed with bondo from front to back and sanded on for 2 months, but it is never thicker than 1/16" of an inch. most places its so thin it is almost transparent on the car.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:50 AM   #5
78bronzechariot

Picked up the 68 Jimmy today, it is going to be stored at work for a little while since I have a 3 hr drive from there to my personal shop, and I have to borrow the company truck and trailer to pull it. The truck is 1000 pieces, but rust repair in minimal. Bed is solid except two small areas over the tail floor brace, and the front panel is beat up from cargo not being tied down. cab needs foot well/ kick panel patches a small patch inside the top windshield frame, a few pinholes in the drivers door sill and the drivers rear cab to rocker brace. The bed sides are immaculate both inside and out. Unfortunately I was only able to snap a couple sub par cell phone pics since I had a limited amount of time for help.
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2012, 12:59 AM   #6
70cst

Well 78bronzechariot ...

The picture makes your look very nice

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:38 PM   #7
78bronzechariot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cst View Post
Well 78bronzechariot ...

The picture makes your look very nice
Thanks, The truck is "nice" looks good going down the road especially when its passing you at 75, but as I have said before its all patches bondo and rivets. The picture of it by the barn is a little photo shopped. If you were to see it in person you would be more able to understand what I mean. I will see if I can dig up some anti-glamour shots of it so some board members wont think I am completely crazy.... Here's one of the inside of the bed. Note the sheetmetal pop rivited to the inner side and the massive pieces of angle iron sheetmetal bolted to the wheel house. Its a little hard to see because its all painted black. And the mat covers it, but the front half of the bed is fiberglassed because it is full of so many small rust holes
Attached Images

Old 08-25-2012, 11:02 AM   #8
78bronzechariot

Better pics of the GMC and I felt artistic with the Chevy so I took a couple of them together...

The other two pics show examples of what is wrong with the Chevy. Drivers floor to rocker was partially replaced by the shop I bought it from and they thought fiberglass was sufficient to fix the part they didn't buy. The other pic isn't very good, It is the drivers rear cab mount. It was was repaired with two pieces of angle iron, 1/8" pop rivets and the body mount was left out since the angle iron was taller than the brace that is supposed to be there.
Attached Images