The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-23-2012, 12:43 PM   #1
DevilDog Aggie

Do I have a Highlander?

Looking at the spid I don't see the codes. Although I do have all the features.
Attached Images

Build Thread - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...87#post5503187
Semper Fi and Gig'em Aggies!
DevilDog Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:56 PM   #2
BB72CHEVKT

Re: Do I have a Highlander?

Got a pic of the spid?
Old 08-23-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
Steve Hafner

. . . .

Here's the SPID for this truck . . . he had it in another thread, so I guess he won't mind if I enlarged it and added it here.

. . . .
Attached Images

Steve Hafner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:41 PM   #4
jocko

Ha! Perfect example that begs the age old question:

Does having all the options ordered separately make something the sum of its parts?
There are differing opinions floating around out there - and, to be honest, I could go either way on it. You do have all the options associated with a Highlander C option (i.e. top of the line for Highlanders). However, no Special Promo Code.

So, my 2 cents would be - no, not a highlander, but it has all the options ordered separately that encompassed a Highlander C. Since Highlander was a promo package that simply bundled a few options at a lower overall cost - on a trim level (Custom Deluxe) that may or may not have had some of them... I'd guess that the original owner did not get the "package price" but did order and pay for all the stuff separately. Why? Who knows.

To me - the discussion is very similar to the Custom Camper question - if one ordered all the required equip associated with being eligible to also order the Custom Camper nameplate AND the nameplate itself (a separate RPO by itself), then one has a Custom Camper. If one just ordered the equipment and NOT the nameplate option, then one has a Custom/CustomD/Cheyenne/or Super that just happens to have all the Custom Camper equipment added as individual options - but it's not a "Custom Camper".

PoTAYto - PoTOTo, but you get the idea. And again, that's just my take on it. If it has the "Special Promo Code" on the SPID (or the Custom Camper nameplate) on the SPID, then it's a Highlander (or Custom Camper). But one could also outfit his truck with all the gee-whiz stuff associated with either option without actually checking the "Special Promo" box or the Custom Camper Nameplate box, for that matter.

Having said that - if someone has an example, i.e. a really original documention of - buying a Special Promo Code truck (per the sales sheet) without Special Promo showing up on the SPID - that would prove the whole theory wrong. In other words, I've never seen a truck like yours (no SPID special promo code) with other documentation to show that it was originally purchased as a package promo deal. Would love to see that if anyone has it, because this is a question that has popped up many times, i.e. "what makes a highlander a "highlander" - the SPID note or the presence of all the particular options ordered separately? I fall on the SPID side of the fence. Others might not. Just two ways of looking at it, that's all.

Regardless - I don't think it affects value either way in your case since ALL the C options are ordered. Very cool truck by the way.

EDIT: One more note - I've never seen a gray plaid seat with blue vinyl... wonder if it's been reupholstered with blue vinyl?? Looks good, but I believe only the blue plaid got blue vinyl. Especially considering the truck is olive/yellow (COOL combo) The plot thickens....

Last edited by jocko; 08-23-2012 at 09:00 PM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:32 PM   #5
1972_K5

The seat doesn't look like and original highlander.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:34 PM   #6
sameyrasmea72

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
EDIT: One more note - I've never seen a gray plaid seat with blue vinyl... wonder if it's been reupholstered with blue vinyl?? Looks good, but I believe only the blue plaid got blue vinyl. Especially considering the truck is olive/yellow (COOL combo) The plot thickens....
I have never seen a plaid seat that did not have parchment vinyl.

As far as your truck being a highlander, I would vote yes it would be some sort of highlander. Maybe an early one or a very base one (of the three packages).

The seat cover has been replaced. The plaid is not the correct pattern and the vinyl should be white/parchment.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:16 PM   #7
jocko

this might help for comparison - and sameyrasmea - I agree on the parchment comment, now that I think of it, even blue plaid had parchment vinyl - they all did. And here's another good thread on highlander stuff. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=527079
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2012, 11:22 PM   #8
jocko

found a gray one (and a blue) for ref also
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2012, 06:18 AM   #9
2003 silverado

Just adding my 2cents I was led to believe that the Highlander was a promotion to sell more trks/Blazers and was offered near the end of the selling yr. So maybe it was ordered before the promotion came out????????
1997 Ford focus (Beater)
2003 ford Taurus (student)
2014 Ford Fusion HYB (wife)
2003 Jetta ( Student)
2003 silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:55 AM   #10
DevilDog Aggie

Thanks for all the great info guys! I appreciate it immensely!
Build Thread - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...87#post5503187
Semper Fi and Gig'em Aggies!
DevilDog Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote