The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-25-2012, 02:07 AM   #1
Jamesbb

Cab question?

I have a really good condition 49 1/2ton cab. I'm not 100% sure on the year but it has a driver side vent and had a gas tank in the cab. Unfortunately some jerk took the vin plate i guess to complete their project. My question is will this cab mount on trucks from 47-53 with factory mounts? Also does anyone know of anything else i can check to confirm the year? I would go with the s10 swap, but i am afraid of the issues with getting it registered/insured with the vinplate gone.
Jamesbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
mknittle

Re: Cab question?

49 was the first year of the cab mounted gas tank.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:42 AM   #3
Jyman

what kind of door handles does the cab have? that will help tell the year of the truck, thats if you have the doors.

and if I remember from what I have read, all the cabs from 47-53 have the same cab mounts.

2000 Chevy Extreme lowrider, 4.3, NV3500, 3.08 rear, upgraded/modded

2001 GMC Sonoma Zr2, 4.3, NV3500, Stock
Jyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:53 PM   #4
Indian113

Can you get a Bonded Title with a State Assigned Vin # ?
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:24 PM   #5
mr48chev

James a lot of states if not all used the engine number as the vin number on the title on the trucks back when these trucks were new. I'm not sure what the theory behind it was but that is what they did then.

When I bought my truck in Texas in 1973 it had an "engine swap" notation on the title an used the body number as the vin.

If you are building from scratch starting with the cab and plan to use a stock frame I'd hunt for a complete truck with a title with a good frame and bad cab that you could get for a reasonable price.

If you are planning on putting it on an S-10 frame I wouldn't be that excited about the number plate as long as you have a good bill of sale for the cab.

I probably shouldn't mention it but over the past 30 years I've bought more then one really trashed AD truck just because it had a clear title and the proper id plate. One we honestly carried home in the back of my 48 a few pieces at a time making several trips. The owner had taken it all apart and then lost interest in it.

Here is a link to a site that lists the differences between cabs. Actually more than one.

http://53truck.ez15loan.com/howto/years.htm

http://www.adchevy.com/info/yeartoyearchanges/
http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/his..._segment5.html

Hope that helps.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:45 PM   #6
blacklistcustoms

Your dancing on really thin ice without the id plate; however different states have different laws. In California, the dmv gestapo makes it really difficult with out a 20 year written history that has to be notorized by ALL previous owners. Best of luck-Cheers- Nate
91 K5 Blazer 4X4-wifes daily driver
73 K5 Blazer 4x4- project soon to be 2wd
50 3 window 3100
blacklistcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:08 PM   #7
OrrieG

In Idaho you could get a bonded title with a DMV assigned VIN number and plate. Because the body and frame is vintage it would be titled as the year of the cab. The engine would need to meet the emission standards in place for the year of the engine casting, none before 1965, minimal up to 72.

But you are not in Idaho, so I would go down and check with DMV before putting a dime into the cab. Then after meeting with them I would write them a letter of understanding saying thanks for the meeting, this is what I understand the process is and what the outcome will be, and if I am wrong please let me know.

That is what I did to confirm I could run a 1959 Truck Plate on the back only. Good luck, you may find it is easy or such a pita you need to find another truck. What ever you do, do NOT get a vin plate from another truck and try to make it look like it came on your truck. That is a Federal offense and not a nice place to be.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:47 PM   #8
Jamesbb

Thanks all for the replies I have went back and forth on what to do and finally ended up puchasing another truck on the cheap. I will hold onto the cab for now to see if i need parts or a swap but will probably end up reselling it. As for the door handles i have the doors but no handles. Thx jb
Posted via Mobile Device
Jamesbb is offline   Reply With Quote