The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-26-2012, 09:20 PM   #1
sbc10guy

ride height question

I am looking at getting my old truck back pretty soon here, and i like the look of the stance it has now but it was lowered by heating the coils in the rear and cutting a part of the fronts off. It rides pretty rough and im looking at lowering rite. What combo of drop springs do you guys feel would match this look so i can keep the stance. I was thinking drop spindles in front possibly but if i can do it without thats fine too. Im not sure how much its actually dropped from stock stance so i guess its probably just a guessing game. Thanks.
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2012, 09:36 PM   #2
asmith1923

Re: ride height question

Did you ever figure out how to recreate this stance properly? I've got a 72 and would like to get this stance too.
asmith1923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:43 PM   #3
sbc10guy

Not yet, it really is a great looking stance i think though. I hope its not too hard to do. I thought i would throw in a pic of the stock height in case it helps any.
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2012, 10:05 PM   #4
AustinScott

Here is ours for reference.

Front = 2.5" drop spindles & 1" drop springs
Back = 5" drop springs
Tires = 275/60/R15

If you go any lower in the rear you might need to notch the frame, as is, my truck hits the bump stops on large bumps or if I have anything in the be
d.

Here are a few images of the rear.

If your interested in seeing more images, just take a look at my build thread, there are more

cheers!

My 68-SWB Photo Build Thread

All my Google Albums

Last edited by AustinScott; 08-26-2012 at 10:11 PM.
AustinScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:19 PM   #5
sbc10guy

Awesome info, thanks for the pics that is really close to the bump stops. Would you say your ride quality is near stock with that set up, or does it take pot holes and bumps pretty hard? Also do you think a 2 inch drop spring on top of the drop spindles is realistic or is 1 inch all you would recommend? Thanks.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:35 PM   #6
AustinScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbc10guy View Post
Awesome info, thanks for the pics that is really close to the bump stops. Would you say your ride quality is near stock with that set up, or does it take pot holes and bumps pretty hard? Also do you think a 2 inch drop spring on top of the drop spindles is realistic or is 1 inch all you would recommend? Thanks.

The truck rides great, it feels like a tight sports car now rather than a comfy truck, as it did when it was stock.
I think even with the shock relocation kit in the rear I could benefit from a bit shorter shock in the rear. The rear is a bit stiff with rebound.

As for the front, I had a cut stock coil (2.5" drop) on top of these spindles when I first installed them....
But with my tire size, they rubbed the outer fender well so I went with new 1" drop springs.

here is what it looked like with the 2.5" drop spindles & the cut stock spring ( one coil cut off)

I liked this look a lot better, but a few things I noticed when it was this low....

1 - the front sway bar mounts where to low & would need to be cut off and remounted
(My floor jack would hit the sway bar when I was trying to get the jack under the truck)
2 - I would need to buy new headers & redo my exhaust, due to it sitting below the frame rails & possibly hit on speed bumps
3 - with the front this low, I would have to notch the rear and lower it more too.... cant have the rear up in the air....

SO because of all these things, I went with the 1" drop spring in front & 5" drop out back ...

If I ever deiced to go lower it will be on AIR.

Scott

My 68-SWB Photo Build Thread

All my Google Albums
AustinScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:42 AM   #7
Xeen

Hi sbc;

Since you want it lower than you can get it on stock spindles you could buy a grand slam kit like the one from CPP http://www.classicperform.com which will give you a 4"+ front and 6"+ rear drop, this kit has almost everything you need to slam your truck the only thing you have to buy seperately is the C-Notches, and a drop sway bar kit.
Its a not a frame lay but its as close as you can get without spending thousands more.
If you already have power front Disc then you dont need all the parts in this kit but it is a good guide you can follow to get the pieces you do need to slam the truck.
They also sell everything you would need to piece together what you need.
CPP isnt the only company that sells this stuff there are several others, Porterbuilt http://www.porterbuiltfabrication.com/ for example.
I would recommend you retrofit it with 1972 front crossmember and rear axle.
You will also need to buy a stock 72' rear crossmember the one just behind the axle because its where the rear brake hose attaches.

Last edited by Xeen; 08-27-2012 at 02:51 AM.
Xeen is offline   Reply With Quote