The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-27-2012, 06:55 PM   #1
coltonk

Suggestions on lowering the truck

I have already lowered my truck 2" in the front 4" in the rear and it looked good with the 15" wheels i had but now i have 20's and it sits way to tall, almost looks like i havent even lowered it.

I know i should do a flip kit but not sure what brand to use. ive heard good things about belltech. but i need a kit that will lower front and rear. im running 245/45/20 on the front and 295/45/20 on the rear so i need to be able to clear that.

I seen a pic of a 5/7 belltech drop on a square and like it. im guessing the 5 is the front and 7 is in the rear??

any options or opinions would help.
I looked online and couldnt find the 5/7 belltech drop so if u have opinions please lead me in the direction to find it as well.

I want the truck to have a slight rake to it if that will narrow down any options.

Here is a pic of the truck how it sits now.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
bigblock73
yeller

Re: Suggestions on lowering the truck

How did you lower it currently, what parts? A lot of what you did may impact what you can do. For example: If the rear is lowered 4" in back via shackle/hanger, you will need to put the stock hangers in back before you flip.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:48 PM   #3
J Knight

Im assuming you did a 2in spring and a 4in shackles and hangers.

You can shop for the front and rear seperately if you cant find exactly what you want, and yes 5 is front and 7 is the rear.

Get 3in spindles for the front plus the 2in drop you have in the front will give you the 5in drop.

Reinstall your spring hangers(front of spring) but leave the drop shackles(rear of spring) then install flip kit. This will give you the 7 for the rear.

Doing it this way will give you a 3/3 drop from your current 2/4 for a 5/7 and you should maintain the same rake you have now.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:00 PM   #4
INSIDIOUS '86

This is why I'm going 18s on mine lol. Get the drop spindles. Get the cpp if you plan On brake mods and 3 in springs. Trim all your bumpstops Get rid of the Rear hanger and keep the front and run a flip kit for the rear setup
Posted via Mobile Device
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:01 PM   #5
Krwright

Looks good. I'm just wondering how much room do you have now between the tire and inner fender. I've been getting the urge to slam one. I seen one the other day that was so low it would get hung up on a goober, flat black paint 6-71 blower bbc. Kinda give me a chubbie.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-27-2012, 08:27 PM   #6
coltonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblock73 View Post
How did you lower it currently, what parts? A lot of what you did may impact what you can do. For example: If the rear is lowered 4" in back via shackle/hanger, you will need to put the stock hangers in back before you flip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Knight View Post
Im assuming you did a 2in spring and a 4in shackles and hangers.

You can shop for the front and rear seperately if you cant find exactly what you want, and yes 5 is front and 7 is the rear.

Get 3in spindles for the front plus the 2in drop you have in the front will give you the 5in drop.

Reinstall your spring hangers(front of spring) but leave the drop shackles(rear of spring) then install flip kit. This will give you the 7 for the rear.

Doing it this way will give you a 3/3 drop from your current 2/4 for a 5/7 and you should maintain the same rake you have now.

I have 2 inch drop spindles up front and a 4 inch shackle/hanger drop in the rear, but i dont have the factory hangers for the rear. Im thinking 5/7 drop is going to be to much for the front especially. so maybe a 4/6 would be a more reasonable/aggressive drop. wish i could just afford both and try them both to see which i would like better. I dont want to order something and it not work which is why im glad you guys are helping me out. I guess i just need to get on summit and shop around and look at prices.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #7
J Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltonk View Post
I have 2 inch drop spindles up front and a 4 inch shackle/hanger drop in the rear, but i dont have the factory hangers for the rear. Im thinking 5/7 drop is going to be to much for the front especially. so maybe a 4/6 would be a more reasonable/aggressive drop. wish i could just afford both and try them both to see which i would like better. I dont want to order something and it not work which is why im glad you guys are helping me out. I guess i just need to get on summit and shop around and look at prices.
Well this changes things, if you have a 2in spindle it is most likely a 2.5in drop. You can cut your stock coil spring one round off the bottom to get a 2in spring drop for free wich should yield a total drop in the front of 4 or 4.5in. For the rear your going to have to get stock hangers(new or junkyard) to do a flip to get the 6-7in you want.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:09 PM   #8
king-918

Or you can bag it!
Posted via Mobile Device

Oh yeah I'm really a Toyota guy, but had some stuff sitting around.

Oklahoma
king-918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:14 PM   #9
bigblock73
yeller

Trust me when I say this, if you go 4/6, you will eventually wish you went 5/7.

Cut one coil in the front (if you have drop spindles), put stock hangers back on and get a Western Chassis or Bell Tech flip kit. Don't forget the drop shocks or shock extenders.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:17 PM   #10
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDIOUS '86 View Post
This is why I'm going 18s on mine lol. Get the drop spindles. Get the cpp if you plan On brake mods and 3 in springs. Trim all your bumpstops Get rid of the Rear hanger and keep the front and run a flip kit for the rear setup
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm not sure what 18's or 20s matter when it comes to dropping your truck, but I would not suggest 3" springs. They are to short and ride like crap.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:03 AM   #11
INSIDIOUS '86

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
I'm not sure what 18's or 20s matter when it comes to dropping your truck, but I would not suggest 3" springs. They are to short and ride like crap.
I agree mine are to damn soft for my liking cut 3/4 or one tones will do! And 18s vs 20s is important to consider with tire sizes and availability an if you want front fenders or not. I have a 6-7 drop and would like another inch in back. Handles awsome.
Posted via Mobile Device
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote