The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-27-2012, 08:01 PM   #1
Chris.

s10 front clip on a AD frame

I'll start off by saying sorry because I'm sure it's been asked a million times before but I'm new here and to AD trucks, I looked around on here and found some info but not exactly what I was looking for. I just got a 50' 5 window and I want it to be mostly restored but also bagged. I am not new to bagged trucks or to major frame mods so I'm hoping for some pictures of AD frames with s10 front clips and some insider tips. Any pics and info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris
Chris. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:13 PM   #2
mknittle

Re: s10 front clip on a AD frame

they are too narrow

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:04 PM   #3
Chris.

Thumbs down Re: s10 front clip on a AD frame

Bummer. I thought I saw a few people mention that they had done it. I have access to a SWB s10 frame. But I have no desire to do a full frame swap plus I think the SWB is the wrong frame for a full swap. I guess you mean the frame rails are too narrow?

Thanks for the info
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-27-2012, 09:08 PM   #4
Indian113

If your gonna clip it a Gbody clip is closer to the right width. You can use a S10 but you need spacers to get the right tire track or dished wheels. Just my opinion I could be wrong.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:46 PM   #5
Chris.

Is that what guys who do full s10 frame swaps have to do?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-27-2012, 09:57 PM   #6
BlueJeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
Is that what guys who do full s10 frame swaps have to do?
Posted via Mobile Device
Not everyone, if you look at the build pics of mine I'm not running spacers in the front. I may at some point in the future run 1" ones, but no big deal.

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
88 Jeep Wrangler rockcrawler
BlueJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:42 AM   #7
sirwilliam

I have 1.5" spacers in front and a s10 4x4 rearend on my s10 frame swap...
sirwilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:03 AM   #8
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

I'm running an S-10 chassis. Since my truck was going to have hubcaps and wide whites, I used deep dish wheels, Circle Racing 15X7 with 1" BS on the rear and 2" BS on the front. Had to redrill my rotors/axles for the bigger wheel studs required by the racing wheels. I also carry a similar spare that will fit the larger studs. The wheels were cheap, bought all four on "clearance", one chrome, two black, and one bare steel, for an average of 30.00 each. This was a "budget" build and I swear, it was more fun that any I've ever built. Looking for bargains proved to be a hobby as well.

I have a spare set of rotors and axles should I decide to change wheels and go with spacers. The billet spacers that are available today are a huge improvement over what was out there 20 years ago.

'99 Silverado 1500, 4.3, 5-speed, reg cab, short bed
'50 Chevy 2DR Hard Top, 350/350, M2 Front End, 3:08 gear, cruiser.
'40 F**d Sedan, all Chevy power, Heidt's front end, TCI rear, nice driver.
S10Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:49 AM   #9
mknittle

The problem with spacers is they cause a week point and on the front wheels aren't a good place for that!!

My GMC build.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:13 AM   #10
Chris.

Thanks for the info guys I'll have to look into how the frame rails line up to see if maybe wideining the clip is an option
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-28-2012, 10:21 AM   #11
robin58

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknittle View Post
The problem with spacers is they cause a week point and on the front wheels aren't a good place for that!!
I think that really depends on the type of spacer.

If you're using just a loose spacer that shortens the stud length I agree. But if you buy a high quality one that bolts to your existing studs and comes with studs to bolt your wheels to, then I think the weakness issue is not a concern. Added weight if you use a thick spacer is probably more of an issue at that point.

I've used Fred Goeske at wheeladapters to make some for me in the past to custom specs and have never had issues with them.
robin58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:26 AM   #12
mr48chev

I think the clip mates up to the stock frame pretty well. What is at issue is the actual tread width which is something that The S-10 frame swap guy have had to contend with on AD trucks from the get go. If you are going to run a reverse offset wheel it isn't a big issue but if you plan to run a no offset wheel the wheels set way back in the wheel wells. A lot of the S-10 swap guys seem to run the 20 or larger inch wheels and for them the narrow tread of the S-10 becomes an advantage rather than a disadvantage.

The G body tread width is slightly wider but the frame rails aren't much wider where you would cut them to mate them to the truck frame.

Either is still a better fit and easier swap than a Camaro or 77 and earlier Chevelle style stub. the front steer units from those are usually too wide in the tread width for AD trucks.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:48 PM   #13
Chris.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10Fan View Post
I'm running an S-10 chassis. Since my truck was going to have hubcaps and wide whites, I used deep dish wheels, Circle Racing 15X7 with 1" BS on the rear and 2" BS on the front. Had to redrill my rotors/axles for the bigger wheel studs required by the racing wheels. I also carry a similar spare that will fit the larger studs. The wheels were cheap, bought all four on "clearance", one chrome, two black, and one bare steel, for an average of 30.00 each. This was a "budget" build and I swear, it was more fun that any I've ever built. Looking for bargains proved to be a hobby as well.

I have a spare set of rotors and axles should I decide to change wheels and go with spacers. The billet spacers that are available today are a huge improvement over what was out there 20 years ago.
Is there a thread on here where I could see some pics of your 50?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #14
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin58 View Post

If you're using just a loose spacer that shortens the stud length I agree. But if you buy a high quality one that bolts to your existing studs and comes with studs to bolt your wheels to, then I think the weakness issue is not a concern. Added weight if you use a thick spacer is probably more of an issue at that point.

I've used Fred Goeske at wheeladapters to make some for me in the past to custom specs and have never had issues with them.
I agree.

My GMC build.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:19 PM   #15
mknittle

on the other hand. On a pro street truck the narrow front end would look cool.
Som say the camaro front ends are too wode but there are guys making the wider 60 through 80s c10 front ends work. a lot has to do with wheel back spacing and the look you are after.
you are always going to get conflicting opinions on clips.Probably the best way to go is an after market front suspention. but us low buck guys use what we have

My GMC build.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #16
mr48chev

I've seen all too many cases where a guy ends up spending more money trying to make a cheap or free suspension setup work than he would have spent if he had just gone ahead and bought and aftermarket cross member and run factory Ford MII pieces. And don't come off with the "they are weaker" nonsense as I researched them way back in the 70's and many critical parts interchange with big Fords and Lincolns. I've also seen some cobbled up messes where guys put subframes and stubs under vehicles where they really didn't fit and attended an auction a couple of months ago where there were about 20 rigs that went for dimes on the dollar because of the less than stellar subframe swaps some of them had.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:28 PM   #17
mknittle

Some people could screw up a bowling ball too! if i hadent done mine I would never get it going! I havent worked in 5 years do to cancer. I can work but am concered un hireable.so I use what I got.

My GMC build.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #18
mknittle

If it is too wide I can narrow or make new A arms.

My GMC build.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:39 PM   #19
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
I think the clip mates up to the stock frame pretty well. What is at issue is the actual tread width which is something that The S-10 frame swap guy have had to contend with on AD trucks from the get go. If you are going to run a reverse offset wheel it isn't a big issue but if you plan to run a no offset wheel the wheels set way back in the wheel wells. A lot of the S-10 swap guys seem to run the 20 or larger inch wheels and for them the narrow tread of the S-10 becomes an advantage rather than a disadvantage.

The G body tread width is slightly wider but the frame rails aren't much wider where you would cut them to mate them to the truck frame.

Either is still a better fit and easier swap than a Camaro or 77 and earlier Chevelle style stub. the front steer units from those are usually too wide in the tread width for AD trucks.
I still don't like the way the camber is adjusted.

My GMC build.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:10 PM   #20
BlueJeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin58 View Post

Ford duallies have run OEM spacers in the front for years, with no concerns there.

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
88 Jeep Wrangler rockcrawler
BlueJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:57 AM   #21
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJeep View Post
Ford duallies have run OEM spacers in the front for years, with no concerns there.
All duillys do but they are bolted on ,it's the slide on ones that are not good.

My GMC build.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:04 PM   #22
Chris.

I'm sure there is some hacked up stuff out there. And the waste of money and time factor is why I wanted to ask around on here before I spend the money even though I can get this frame very cheap. I have done enough custom frame work on bagged trucks that I an confident that if this is a plausable route to go and I decide to do it , it will not be hacked
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-31-2012, 04:51 PM   #23
nacho55

I did just a s10 clip on mine , I didn't have the money for a project in the first place so I did it as cheap as I could, so used the clip and the rear end and as far as width it's a little narrow but with a good set of wheels they look good, mine looks pretty good and sits low I found a mostly rolling s10 for a $140 with everthing I needed and it was in really good shape, my truck is a 55 1st long bed and wanted to keep it that way, so I built in the amount of drop in the front of the frame so I wouldn't need lowered spindles or springs, I have about 3000 miles on it and havent bothered to take it to a shop to see if in needs an alignment because it drives straight and rides as good as an s10 if not better with the rear 4link and air bags. , it took me a lot of time and fitting to get it to look the way it does, but if your on a budget and you find one that's in good shape that doesnt need new parts then it's worth it. If you look up my posts you can probably find a picture of it, I can't upload any from my iPad
Posted via Mobile Device
nacho55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:24 PM   #24
mknittle

Thumbs up Re: s10 front clip on a AD frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
I'm sure there is some hacked up stuff out there. And the waste of money and time factor is why I wanted to ask around on here before I spend the money even though I can get this frame very cheap. I have done enough custom frame work on bagged trucks that I an confident that if this is a plausable route to go and I decide to do it , it will not be hacked
Posted via Mobile Device

My GMC build.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:01 PM   #25
fredscarryall

why use just the front of an S10 frame when you can use the whole frame. check our ad engeneering on the web. according the the site you need a 92 to 03 S10 standard cab 2wd only long bed frame. my buddy just picked up one from a wrecking yard for $350 delived.it was a complete roller.it including the gas tank and steering pump less motor and trans.they sell an entire kit to convert an ad to to S10. according to the site you need to use a 4wd same year rear end because the stock rearend it 5 inches to narrow. you also need front aluminium wheel spacer that you can buy on ebay for $80.i dont know where people are getting that they break. i have used them on my jeep and they are used alot in the 4wd community. here are some pics from ad engineering.my buddy and i are doing an S10 frame swap under projects and bulids (project food stamp) but it not that far along yet.there a couple other S10 builds underway so check out projects and builds.an S10 is about one of the easier trucks to bag because of the availablity of the aftermarket
Attached Images

Last edited by fredscarryall; 08-31-2012 at 11:07 PM.
fredscarryall is offline   Reply With Quote