The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-25-2003, 01:11 AM   #1
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

how to get my a/c working GOOD?

okay, for the past year i've had the belt off my ac compressor because i never used my ac, because it sucked and never would get cold. so i was wondering, what would the best way to get it running nice and cold be? i dont have any clue what kind of refigerant to use either.
ocbaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 01:42 AM   #2
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Best choice is to convert it over to R-134. Change the orifice tube, accumulator and probably the hoses too. This will allow you remove the R-12 oil. Replace the compressor if you can too. Replace all the O-rings in the system. Pump the system down for 1/2 hour. If it holds then charge it up with R-134. I did mine and it's cold!! So far it's the best modification I've done because in the long run it will save me money for recharging if necessary.
Old 05-25-2003, 03:30 AM   #3
gmc7286chevy

I did the same thing. My compressor went out first. I ended up changing everything from the compressor, hoses, accumilator, condensor, the complete ventilitation system was stopped up with bean dust from its former farming life, Things are a lot cooler now.
73 JEEP CJ-5
76 Cadillac Sedan Deville
gmc7286chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 04:25 AM   #4
Mike76251

Having a system set idle for a long time can really cause you problems.
Sulfuric acid builds up in the system and often locks up the compressor with rust. Not to mention all the oil is now in the sump and takes several minutes to get back in the system.
Mike76251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 11:24 AM   #5
82 Silverado 4X
Genuine Chevrolet

When I bought my truck last spring the compressor was locked up, the belt was off, the accumulator had a bad valve and the condenser had a large hole through it. It would have cost well over $300.00 to have the R-12 system restored to it's original condition so this is exactly what I did:

The compressor is off an 87 Caprice that a freind was going to junk. "Free"
(I used my 82 mounts)

The condenser came off an 84 S-10 another freind had laying in his shed. "Free"
(I fabricated brackets because it's smaller)

My accumulator came off an 86 Suburban at a bone yard. "$5.00". (Perfect fit as is)

The remainder of the A/C components were the ones that were installed on the truck when it was built in 1982. I didn't change or modify anything else.

Bought a good R-134 fill hose with brass fittings because the plastic junk fill hose that comes in the complete conversion kits are worthless and usually break and leak on your first can. $10.00 Advance Auto

Package of Individual R-134 Adapters. $10.00 Advance Auto

1 can of Oil Charge with Conditoner $4.00 Advance Auto

3 Cans Advance Auto R-134 refrigerant $20.00

Having operational and Ice Cold A/C that has worked flawlessly for over an entire year..................

...........................................PRICELESS..........................................

I've done quite a few of these conversions over the years and have never gone through all the hassles of replacing the O-Rings or rebuilding the compressors to accept the R-134. Most people just want it cold "NOW" and they seldom want to spend a fortune or take the time to have it done right.
For the low cost of R-134 Refrigerant I wouldn't mind if I needed to add a can each year to top off the system of a 20 year old truck but so far I haven't had to add any.
82 Silverado 4X is offline   Reply With Quote