The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-28-2012, 09:17 PM   #1
story

87 TBI Questions???

Howzit Guys... I'm kinda new here and was hoping for some input... I have a 87 R10 5.7 with a TBI...

First off it idles perfect and temp stays cool but there is a problem... Once in a while when the truck is under load it'll just bog down (kinda like no gas) theres just nothing for a little bit... I let off the throttle and press it again and it's fine... Could you guys maybe give me some ideas of where to start? Could this be a gas or elec problem? I changed the fuel filter in front the tank already and dumped a can of sea foam in the tank... also used carb cleaner and blasted down the TBI (carb)... Anyone come across something this before??? EGR??? Vacum?

Oh there is one more thing it has lots of power when leaving a light (auto with a over drive) 1st and 2nd is ok but when it shifts higher it just lugs and no power unless I floor it to kick it back down.

Last edited by story; 08-28-2012 at 09:29 PM.
story is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:40 PM   #2
frog210

Re: 87 TBI Questions???

Fuel Pump?
Fuel sending unit?
maybe a dirty or kinked line?
frog210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:01 PM   #3
csdineley

Mine used to do something like that, but only once in a while and only when I was on the passenger side tank. After replacing the sending unit, pump, switch over thing, and relay. I found the problem, a bad ground that when I hit a bump or pothole would kill the pump for a second or so.
csdineley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:14 PM   #4
story

Quote:
Originally Posted by csdineley View Post
Mine used to do something like that, but only once in a while and only when I was on the passenger side tank. After replacing the sending unit, pump, switch over thing, and relay. I found the problem, a bad ground that when I hit a bump or pothole would kill the pump for a second or so.
Huh... You know I never thought of that... I'm gonna try to figure out when it's happening... Thanks and I am using the passenger side tank.
story is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:39 PM   #5
gmhammes

Ever resolve this issue? I'm having a similar problem with my 305 tbi
gmhammes is offline   Reply With Quote