The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-28-2012, 10:43 PM   #1
Murphy IRE

Wow after everything, I finally have brakes!!!

Ok, below are the pics with vacuum pump and now nice and clean with Hydraulic Boost. I started with new flex lines,replacing rotors, drums, shoes, pads, cylinders, MC Vacuum booster, Checked the piston clearance, installed a vacuum pump and canister. You get the idea, basically everything. My engine a 400cid has very low vacuum 11-13 inches. The vacuum booster reguires 18. I had the best brakes to date, but I couldn't do an emergency stop (Not Good). So after all the frustration, I bit the bullet and found a Hydraulic Brake booster system. The first test, had everything filing off the seat and hitting the dash board; PERECT! I went with ABS power brake from Orange, CA. More reasonable than CPP. Not as stylish, but Gertie is a working 4x4.
Attached Images

Murphy IRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:00 AM   #2
Tinsmith

Smile Re: Wow after everything, I finally have brakes!!!

Looks good, love new parts. This is on my list of upgrades to. Glad you got it all figured out.To bad you had to take the long way to get there(the expensive way)
Jon
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Tinsmith; 08-29-2012 at 01:08 AM.
Tinsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:36 AM   #3
Xeen

Re: Wow after everything, I finally have brakes!!!

I cant help but wonder if simply upgrading to a 1" bore master cylender would have fixed it without buying a hydraulic booster they have alot more stopping power.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
DevilDog Aggie

Looks great Murphy! Plan on doing the exact same thing to mine this weekend. BTW, Semper Fi to you and your son!
Build Thread - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...87#post5503187
Semper Fi and Gig'em Aggies!
DevilDog Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #5
Murphy IRE

Back at you Devil Dog Aggie!
I upgraded to 1" MC. I forgot to mention, during this whole process: my brake pedal was rock hard and will only travel about 1.5 to 2.5". Just putting it out there. If your pedal is soft, it's a different issues. If your disc/ drums are good and so are the pad/shoes. Check the vacuum. If there aren't any leaks and all the stuff is good. Chances are, you arn't getting enough pressure to the wheels. I still have a few minor adjustments and I want to bleed both systems again.
It's nice being at a light and not having to mash the pedal to keep it in place.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:42 PM   #6
slikside

So what has been your experience with ABS in Orange?? I had a m/c, booster and 2 calipers rebuilt by them. So far, all good. Had to upgrade to "speed bleeders" on the calipers to keep them from leaking, but I think some anti-sieze might have done the same thing.... Ive got about a month to go on their 6mo. warranty, and so far, the only issue has been a very slow/small (micro) leak on the back of the prop valve that they exchanged out for me (mine was trash. they exchanged it for one they had for the price of overhaul). They have been above board, and helpful.
slikside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:09 PM   #7
Murphy IRE

So far so good, It's only been on a week. They were good during the set-up and very helpful with Tech Support. I'll drive her a bit more in the next couple of weeks and then she will get the full work out during Hunting Season.