The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-25-2003, 10:09 AM   #1
Daves72'GMC

Question location of sport mirrors on doors

I'm taking the origional camper mirrors off my '72 GMC truck and putting the sport mirrors on. I've heard the loaction was a little different on both doors . Does someone have a truck that came with the sport mirrors from the factory?Can someone please measure from the front door to the mirror and give me the measurements so I know the horizontal measurement on both doors and tell me the measurements on the flat area where the mirrors mount and tell me how much room there is the below the mirror and above the mirror in this flat area, so I know the vertical measurement. Thank you everyone.
Daves72'GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 01:24 AM   #2
lpaine

According to the factory assembly manual, there needs to be a "reinforcement assembly" on the inside of the door that I guess would be there to help hold the mirror arm on securely. It does not give the measurement from the door edge to the screw holes though. However, to give you a rough idea of where the mirror sits, the 2 back screws for the mirror are pretty much lined up under the vent window frame between the 2 top body crease's (if thats the right term!) I don't know if your truck would have the "reinforcement" for the 3 screws,if it came with the camper mirrors originally, maybe not- but you might be able to use a flat piece of steel behind there to button it all down if you use machine screws with nuts and washers. I'd post a picture for you on here if I could, maybe someone else could do this-the mirror diagram is almost at the back of the manual, about 40-50 pages from the back. Hope this helps-KEEP ON TRUCKIN!!!!
lpaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 10:57 AM   #3
JimKshortstep4x4

Talking

If you measure trucks with factory mirrors, you will note that there is some variation as I believe that they layed these out and drilled them by hand.

This is the way we install the mirrors based on measurements that we use. Using the gasket as a template, center the gasket on the flat part of the door where the mirrors mount. On the left side the gasket is 6 1/2" from the front edge of the door. On the right side the gasket is 8" from the door edge. Locate the holes and drill 5/16" holes. (I believe that the factory used 11/32").

To mount we use ss screws screwed into the reenforcements. If you need a pic, I can post one.

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 11:14 AM   #4
Tim Christian

Question

What are you going to do with your old mirrors Dave?
Tim Christian is offline   Reply With Quote