The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-29-2012, 10:10 PM   #1
ezernut9mm

57 windshield

hey guys, i need some serious help here with a windshield install. my bro has a 57 cab with the original windshield. after a few years of sitting in his basement we finally got around to getting the truck up and running. so far so good. now, the original windshield-that came out of that cab, will not reinstall correctly back into the cab. we have tried two different gaskets (one from chevy duty and one from jim carter) and we still cannot get a seal at the top right corner. we even had a friend come over that has a 57 and help us install the glass. he's an older guy that has a lot of experience with this stuff and can't figure it out.
i was hoping someone could give some advice or something. i don't know what to do now, and my bud-that owns the truck is ready to throw a match to it and i don't want that. (maybe i can buy it cheap now. lol)
anyone ever run across something like this? help!

'02 nissan sentra (wal-mart warrior)
ezernut9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:40 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: 57 windshield

I had a heck of a fight getting the new windshield and new rubber in my 71 a couple of years ago but we stuck with it an got it to fit.

The other option is to find a guy who works in a glass shop that takes side jobs installing windshields for people. There is usually one in most towns who will do that. For a few bucks they will usually get it in right and be done with it.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #3
01spirit750

I had issues as well. I finally purchased the rubber from Steele or Soff seal (I forget which) and it worked.
01spirit750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:50 PM   #4
hillside332

Do not use a foreign gasket, it will cause you unnecessary stress, i tried 2 different ones and threw them away, ened up buying a Steele rubber products one for twice the money and the glass went in perfectly.
hillside332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:23 PM   #5
ezernut9mm

thanks guys. i have heard good stuff about steele's products. i think we will give that a shot.

'02 nissan sentra (wal-mart warrior)
ezernut9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:32 PM   #6
oldcouple

LMC one worked fine for me, its about lots of lube to make it move.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:18 PM   #7
Docs fitty6

It's been awhile (years and years) since doing one of these. I'm at a point where I'm ready to install it into my '56 GMC.
I've got the cord wrapped inside the channel on the rubber. I'm guessing that it's still done that way in order to 'pull' in the inside lip of the rubber seal???
One guy outside, one guy in....
Q: what kind of lube...Petroleum??
Q: What about some kind of sealant?
Q: Is there a best place to actually start the whole process? What other tricks do you have out there?
Thanks!
Docs fitty6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:50 PM   #8
oldcouple

Warm day in the shade, soak gasket in hot water to limber it up if not. Use soapy water in a spray bottle, no sealant is needed. Put the rope in the grove set bottom in place start at bottom overlap in middle, this allows the bottom to sit down into place as the outside two guys pushing in and down, one guy pulling rope. A brake adjusting hook tool will help as well as a plastic ice scraper.

Of course there are other ways, this is what worked for me.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #9
Docs fitty6

OK! Now there's a good answer, and Thanks!
I had started the rope up at the top, but will re-do that. I knew to overlap the rope ends. I knew it was best if you could get the seal heated up some prior to install. My plan is to set the windshield out in the sun for a bit prior to install. The soapy water idea is a great one too.
Back when I was doing VW windshields, I would use a bit of roofing tar product in the seal channel at the bottom only. I'm hoping this seal I bought from LMC is a good one. I didn't know about Steele rubber products or I might have looked at their product first possibly.
I'll be back to let you know how my install goes.
later
Docs fitty6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:45 PM   #10
01spirit750

The bodyshop that installed my front windshield used wire pull lubricant. This is the stuff electricians use to lube the wires when pulling a long distance thru conduit.

It appeared to be water based and did not harm the paint. It was purchased at lowes.
01spirit750 is offline   Reply With Quote