The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-30-2012, 11:20 AM   #1
torchlight

Stainless window trim?

Hi Everyone-

I'm looking for a source of trim for the windows that have a strip of stainless (or is it chrome?). Does anyone make these? I've seen trucks that have this (see picture below), but the one truck I saw in person, it was just that shiny-painted plastic stuff you can buy at Autozone. I'm looking for actual metal, made-to-fit - high quality - gonna look great and last a long time. Is something like this available somewhere?

torchlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:19 PM   #2
RPO314

Re: Stainless window trim?

Hello,

What year of truck do you have?
Trim for what windows, front, doors, corner, back?
Interior trim around door windows?

Thanks
RPO314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:32 PM   #3
torchlight

I have a 53. There are vent windows on the doors right now, but I want to convert to one-piece window in the doors like before 52 and like shown in that picture. 3-window cab, no corner windows. Looking for the stainless trim, exterior, around all windows - windshield, door windows, rear window. Hope these are the right answers you were looking for!
Old 08-30-2012, 12:56 PM   #4
RPO314

Quote:
Originally Posted by torchlight View Post
I have a 53. There are vent windows on the doors right now, but I want to convert to one-piece window in the doors like before 52 and like shown in that picture. 3-window cab, no corner windows. Looking for the stainless trim, exterior, around all windows - windshield, door windows, rear window. Hope these are the right answers you were looking for!
OK, try these links. Give them a call and tell them what you want to do.I have more links but try these first get back if it leads to a dead end.

http://www.oldchevytrucks.com/

http://www.obschevy.com/pages/Catalogs.html

http://www.chevsofthe40s.com/

http://www.patricksantiquecars.com/

Thanks

Last edited by RPO314; 08-30-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:03 PM   #5
RPO314

Double post

Last edited by RPO314; 08-30-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:13 PM   #6
D-man313

http://www.classicparts.com/Trim-Hardware/products/80/
Old 08-30-2012, 07:14 PM   #7
mr48chev

I believe that the trim came on Deluxe cab 48/50 trucks as I have had stainless trim for the inside and outside for those in the past and think I have a set saved back in the shed but have no idea of what shape it's in now. The windshield trim takes a different windshield rubber to work as the rubber has a groove molded in it for the trim to set in and lock in. You just undo the plain window trim and install the stainless in it's place being very careful not to kink it at the front when you jockey it into place.

It looks like the pieces D-Man313 posted the link to might just be the way to go rather than buying used and then trying to polish it.

Last edited by mr48chev; 08-30-2012 at 07:21 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:31 PM   #8
Root2812

Nice to see another Minnesotan on here. There's a few of us from the Metro on here. You should post some pictures of your truck on here...

But yeah like they said, the stainless around the wind shield and door windows is a factory option. My truck has this where my parts truck does not. The chrome around the rear glass is just a chromed lock strip you can buy but I don't think it was an option back in the day.
Root2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:37 PM   #9
oldcouple

I had a 49 with all the SS trim, PO had taken it off of about 5 different years, my understanding was that not all of the trim was available from the factory but that they added different pieces as a model year change.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:12 PM   #10
torchlight

Thanks very much for all the helpful responses. I think I'm on the right track now to find these parts when the time comes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Root2812 View Post
Nice to see another Minnesotan on here. There's a few of us from the Metro on here. You should post some pictures of your truck on here...
Howdy! Right now I have one and only one picture to offer, but will have more soon. The quality and size of this pic is low because it was just sent to me via cell phone. Here's the truck as it sits right now, just pulled out of barn storage in Iowa, and loaded onto a trailer. This truck has been in my family for 31 years. My dad is driving it up here on Saturday, and we're taking it to a shop in Blaine for complete disassembly and a ground-up rebuild. I'm working on putting a folder together of ideas on how I want it to come together, and the stainless window trim is one of those ideas I needed some extra info about. Will definitely post more pictures as the project progresses.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:53 PM   #11
quigman

I just put my stainless on this past week. I got my parts from Classic Parts of America and everything fit real nice. I did the front windchield, corner and back glass. I have not done the doors yet. The windshield stuff is not super shiny so you might look for a good original piece. I would say I am happy with the results.
quigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #12
mknittle

LMC has them

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:26 AM   #13
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigman View Post
I just put my stainless on this past week. I got my parts from Classic Parts of America and everything fit real nice. I did the front windchield, corner and back glass. I have not done the doors yet. The windshield stuff is not super shiny so you might look for a good original piece. I would say I am happy with the results.
Stainless will polish to look like chrome.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote