The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-01-2012, 12:28 PM   #1
FIREBALL
(007) aka Houdini

fan dilema

ok guys need some input i know the flex-fans are not a fav of some on here i myself have never had a problem with them but you never know. Anyhow i was wanting to change over to a clutch style but i notice a problem or maybe im just not thinking clearly. Right now i have a 350 a/c style with appearing to be a 3 or maybe 4row alumnium radiator (bought it with it installed) already. It has a short water pump on it and the v-style pulley setup. Now as it its now its got a 2" flex a lite fan spacer on it and a flex fan that goes somewhat inside the shroud maybe a inch or little more. My question is being as it has that spacer and all if i go with a aftermarket fan blade can i run a clutch on it or would it be too much strain on the pump? If igo back to total stock it wount be close enough.....from what im seeing i dont know though Im in a deliema because should i run a steel hub with stainless blades or a total steel design. I just dont want to put too much on the pump and would it work is another question anyhow see the links below and i apprecaite everyones input cause it will help me decide for sure see the link below...
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLX-5534/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLX-1817/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLX-1617P/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLX-1717P/
Old 09-01-2012, 07:05 PM   #2
WIDESIDE72

Re: fan dilema

You are trying to mix and match two different styles
of fan. The link to the clutch you have is a replacement for an oem clutch but none of the links is for the correct fan. Those are
All the same type of fan that use anstationary solid non clutch spacer. I recently posted a wtb for an oem type fan to replace the flex fan that a P O installed on my truck. Here is a link to my wtb ad and some photos of what you need.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536950
Posted via Mobile Device
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:51 PM   #3
FIREBALL
(007) aka Houdini

Well see lol that's what I was thinking thanks for the info in on the prowl or a stock one!! Lol thanks man
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-01-2012, 08:53 PM   #4
airdale94

You don't use a fan clutch on a flex fan you use the 2" spacer. The last 2 fans say there standard blades so I would say you could use a fan clutch on those 2. 1" or a little more is about right for your fan sitting in the shroud. You don't want it all the way in or allthe way out. I think a little less than half.
airdale94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:34 PM   #5
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdale94 View Post
You don't use a fan clutch on a flex fan you use the 2" spacer. The last 2 fans say there standard blades so I would say you could use a fan clutch on those 2. 1" or a little more is about right for your fan sitting in the shroud. You don't want it all the way in or allthe way out. I think a little less than half.
None of the fans listed will work with a factory style clutch. The fan will have to have an open center around 2" in diameter. Take a look at the photos in the link I posted.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:48 PM   #6
FIREBALL
(007) aka Houdini

yeah i was debating if i culd get those last two fans to work with a clutch but i said heck with it and i found me a 7-blade stock fan from a member on here pm me so im good now guys i appreciate the fast feedback on the thread though and thats why i luv the site helpful people & info as always thanks guys.....