The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-01-2012, 03:23 PM   #1
A 68 Wreck

Qjet Accel Pump stuck.

Well, all else on this 4MV is working great on the test runs, but, the replacement accel pump I put in is now not returning the entire way up. 3/8 - 1/2" low. I can pull up the rod as it is "free", but is simply drops back down the 3/8 - 1/2". I used a "stock" replacement rod and plunger, and used the old springs. the stock did NOT have the retaining spring under the plunger, which I have seen on line.
maybe a stronger return spring? I did stretch it a bit prior to re-install.
any help would be appreciated! this is the second time it has happened...

thanks.
A 68 Wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:33 PM   #2
Wrenchbender Ret

Re: Qjet Accel Pump stuck.

Some of the new pumps that come with the kit swell up from the ethenol in the gas. The cup comes off the plunger & hangs up. You will probably need a new pump or cup.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:47 PM   #3
geezer#99

You did put the plunger assembly back together like in the link pic. With the spring in it.
http://www.vetteprojects.com/kstyer/quadrajet_4.htm
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:49 PM   #4
A 68 Wreck

Thanks Wrench.

Indeed, the plunger and return spring were stuck down at the bottom of the well! Even Lassie would have had some time getting them out.

So, i just installed a NEW "accel pump kit", which only consisted of a new plunger and rod. I used the old top spring and clip, and the old return spring.

My simple feeling is a stiffer return spring about the some length. As I understand, this will obviously force the rod back up and help keep the plunger on, and as I also understand it, the rod will not pop out anymore on account of the top clip stopping at the underside of the top carb plate (air horn?)

Is this fallacy? Or do I need the "super" accel pump kit I saw on line, with the round retaining spring under the plunger?

thanks!
Old 09-01-2012, 03:53 PM   #5
Lee H

In the picture below, the lighter spring belongs under the pump to return the pump to the top of the bore and the heavier one on top held in place by the clip. This is how they left the factory and how they should be rebuilt. Should not reuse the old ones, not much spring left in them after a bunch of miles. Order the kit from Cliff Ruggles, they are chemical (ethanol, etal) resistant and will hold up for a long time.
Attached Images

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:53 PM   #6
A 68 Wreck

Yup. The only thing I do not have is that round retainer spring. Hmmm? Makes me wonder?

The old one didnt have it and I had this problem, and the new one does not have it and I have this problem? Hmm...maybe a purchase is necessary.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:57 PM   #7
A 68 Wreck

Well poop. Cliff Ruggles it is. That appears to be a much sturdier way of holding the plunger on.

Well, now I guess ill do the dishes for the Mrs., and kick around the dog! ;~)

Thanks again.