The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-05-2012, 08:23 PM   #1
dougf

Smile Engine perches, what do I have? (pics)

Bought the truck (A '66 C10 shortbed stepside) a couple weeks ago and trying to figure out the the previous owner did. He installed a 327 with a saginaw 3 speed, this I know. I cant tell if the engine perches are V6 or V8 or not. I am leaning twords V8 since seeing the page on perches on the popular 6066 site, but im not sure why they are not bolted down properly. The bottom of the perches are not bolted down and theres no hole, but it looks like the top of the perches can be moved forward to bolt on the frame and then the bottom hole will align with the crossmember, but then the driveshaft would need to be lengthened and the trans mount would need to be modified. The previous owner bolted the engine down with a chain also for some reason. I would LOVE to get this road worthy but theres too many safety issues with it. Theres engine perches here I can buy but not sure if I need them: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...perch&_sacat=0 Any input?

dougf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:42 PM   #2
dougf

Re: Engine perches, what do I have? (pics)

Well, on an impulse I pulled the trigger on the ebay perches. Im not sure ill have time with my job to find any at a local yard, or find any online. Anyone have any input anyway?
Old 09-05-2012, 08:58 PM   #3
padresag

looks like some one torched off the bottom of the perches. the perches are in the correct holes for stock installation. the insulators are more than likely no good- the reason for the chains. get new ones and throw the chains away. the chain stops the eng from lifting up the drivers side from torque if the mount is no good. the chain on the passenger side doesn't do anything. the motor mounts don't seem to be very tight to the eng by looks of that bolt hanging out
perhaps someone unloaded a pile of dung on you. I am sure that you will find more examples of their workmanship
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:48 PM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

What you have in your truck are the '67-'72 small block motor mount brackets. They are designed to bolt in,in the forward set of holes. This is where the small blocks were located in the '67-'72's. In the '63-'66 trucks, the motor mount brackets are the same for the small block and the 230/250 I6 engines. They are a little longer than the ones you have and are designed to be bolted in,in the rearward set of holes. The '67-'72 230/250 I6 motor mount brackets are the same as the above described for the '63-'66's. The ebay link doesn't show anything, so I can not tell you if you bought the correct parts. If you are in need of the motor mount brackets for the '63-'66, let me know.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:53 PM   #5
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
What you have in your truck are the '67-'72 small block motor mount brackets. They are designed to bolt in,in the forward set of holes. This is where the small blocks were located in the '67-'72's. In the '63-'66 trucks, the motor mount brackets are the same for the small block and the 230/250 I6 engines. They are a little longer than the ones you have and are designed to be bolted in,in the rearward set of holes. The '67-'72 230/250 I6 motor mount brackets are the same as the above described for the '63-'66's. The ebay link doesn't show anything, so I can not tell you if you bought the correct parts. If you are in need of the motor mount brackets for the '63-'66, let me know.
what is that mess at the bottom of the perch, Capt.?
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:58 PM   #6
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Kind of looks like some booger weld mixed with some torch dross on top of the remnants of previous motor mount bracket......that will need to be cleaned up before bolting in the correct motor mount brackets

Quote:
Originally Posted by padresag View Post
what is that mess at the bottom of the perch,
Capt.?
ron
Old 09-06-2012, 08:00 AM   #7
dougf

padresag and Captainfab, thanks, very informative. I will report back the status of the new perches... Hopefully your info helps someone else as well!
Old 09-06-2012, 09:51 PM   #8
blazins10

so are u saying u can move the engine forward with a set of 67-72 mounts?
Old 09-06-2012, 11:44 PM   #9
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Yes, if you use the '67-'72 small block motor mount brackets. Just remember that the trans has to come forward also. And of course the driveshaft will need to be lengthened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazins10 View Post
so are u saying u can move the engine forward with a set of 67-72 mounts?
Old 09-07-2012, 12:08 AM   #10
blazins10

not an issue for me since i swapped froma 4 spd recently
and havent finished my crossmember yet or shortened my driveline
and those ps brackets worked great!
Posted via Mobile Device