The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-06-2012, 11:15 AM   #1
WALYS60

In Times of Want and Woe

Hey all,

My first post was last week in regard to a one off in a car show. Seems like that is a far off concern for sure at this point . I haven't even gotter driving yet...still waiting on a new radiator that had to be ordered...OUCH them things are not cheap! I'm a couple grand into it without even starting the restoration yet and am starting to get just a tad concerned. Not that I ever plan on selling it, but at this rate, I'll be well over its value by the time I'm done.

My question is, basically, how much is painting this thing going to run me? I plan on getting it fairly well prepped myself (I worked in a body shop a lifetime ago, but think I still remember the basics enough to do better than earl sheib) and then have a two tone job done. Of course this will include the cab and I'll want something done to the frame...was thinking powder coat there.

Anyway, just looking for a ball park, because I have seen a bunch of ads for barter in Craigslist for 'anything' of value and I have a hunk of property in Colorado I've been trying to unload for a while. I have it listed for $5k and was wondering how close that would be to getting it paid for. I would assume it is more than I need, but, if I include the powder coat, fitting the new fenders and the very minor body work...maybe that would be close? I've got another beater Dodge pickup that I wouldn't mind having a coat slapped on, and a little dent in my jeep (stupid walmart shopping carts) that could used pulled...if I need to round it up a bit.

Thanks in advance for all your input!!!

Ron S.
WALYS60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #2
tincan1966

Re: In Times of Want and Woe

From experience, if you're thinking of a frame off redo and powder coat of the frame. $5K will only be a minor start.

A respectable resortation/daily driver rehab can be in the $10k-$15K easily.
These trucks are worth the investment, as many real nice ones bring the $$$.

Just my opinion. We normally get $5K for just doing the chassis and driveline upgrade(including parts) here at our shop.
tincan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #3
WALYS60

tincan, thanks...and YIKES lol. Ok, so I'm basically talking to 'the shop'...sweet! Now, I'm not thinking I need any upgrades, in fact I'm trying to keep it as stock as possible. And I am going to blast it, prime and prep it myself. Of course, that includes dis-assembly of the body off the frame, etc. Sounds like regardless, I'm not going to be worrying about what to do with 'the rest' of the 5k .

Was kind of looking at something like this as a process (below). feel free to critique it and provide input, but it is just off the top of my head and not completely fleshed out yet. Just making the point that I won't be leaving the whole thing up to the body shop.

1. take it to the shop, have the fenders fit, small dents pounded out/filled
2. take it home, remove body from frame
3. bead/sand/walnut (whatever) blast all body parts and frame
4. primer everything inside/out
5. take the frame in and have it powder coated. body parts in for painting inside fenders, engine compartment, hood, etc, etc.
6. take it home and re-assemble
7. DA and wet sand
8. take it back to the shop for full paint

Guess now I'm just asking, will the 5k property be enough to cover that?

THANKS!

Last edited by WALYS60; 09-06-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:01 PM   #4
dougf

It may very well be, but keep in mind once things come apart other issues surface almost 100% of the time. I would focus first of its mechanical state and any rust issues structurally, then at least you can safely drive and enjoy it, with any extra funds going to the body when you can. Good luck! :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
dougf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:32 PM   #5
McCoyAZ

Just remember this one thing.

You can spend 40 THOUSAND DOLLARS and still have a 12 Thousand dollar truck.

If you are concerned about the cost of building one, take the advice that was given me by several friends.....

BUY ONE that someone else started and let them take the huge loss.

Granted that wont be nearly as much fun, but it will save you a huge amount of money.
McCoyAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #6
brokenspoke

You can buy one cheaper that you can build one
brokenspoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:23 PM   #7
flashed

No truer statement than the last post above .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:29 PM   #8
TopFuel1966

Body & paint is probably the most expensive part of a restoration project. I speak from experience here. The paint and the associated materials are extremely pricey with a gallon of paint in the $200.00 to $300.00 range depending on the color.
I had my frame and all suspension components blasted and powdercoated - $900.00. Media blasting the body inside and out - $2000.00.
To do what you are planning to do and depending on the amount of metalwork required could easily set you back $10K even with your participation.
TopFuel1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:25 PM   #9
rcbildr

I don't worry about the cost/value ratio, but then again I bought what I have because I like them and don't ever plan on selling them while I am still capable of driving. The only time I worry about the cost is when it comes to getting the job done right. Then I look to see if I can do it myself for less.
1967 Suburban 1/2ton 2wd

My Girlfriends Projects
1985 Chevy Suburban 3/4ton 4x4 with 6.2L diesel, 4" lift, converted to TH-400, Warn Premium manual hubs, & Wildcat 315/75/R16 tires. (daily driver)
1978 Camaro Type LT with a Marine 350 & vortec heads, Rochester Carb, & roller cam
1978 Camaro Z28
rcbildr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:43 PM   #10
badriand

this thread is cracking me up.. a while back i almost made the mistake of selling mine, probably have 7 or 8 close to 9 probably in it and the guy is all hopped up on it yea yea i so getting this and throws 4 at me. Dude i have that in suspension parts!! No thx, i will just keep and dump more $ into.
badriand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:00 PM   #11
Rich 5150 69

It all comes down to are you keeping it, been driving mine now for 20 years in Dec, its getting the make over again, did it twenty years ago when I bought it, it was a three week turn around, now considerly older it just takes a little more time...
`68 Dart 370/904/323 suregrip
Rich 5150 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:47 PM   #12
rbar

Some things I would consider: You might not find many body shops that are interested in painting over your primer and almost guaranteed won't warranty it if the paint has an issue. If you think you can get it done for a certain amount, you had should plan for lots of unexpected costs to come up, as someone already stated. Prices probably vary alot between shops and regions. I had my frame and suspension sandblasted and powder coated for $225.00, but it has gone up now to $400-$450 right now just down the road from my house. Sand blasting the entire truck inside and out can be done around here for $700 or a little less. For paint material alone I bet your into it at least $1000. Mine is way more than that. Then you have to add sand paper, masking tape and paper, etc, then any labor you pay someone else. Never expect to get your money back out of it and I would agree that the best start is to get it mechanically sound and then see where you stand, if you are wanting to drive it sooner rather than later. I started with just fixing the rust in my floor boards with the intent to get it back together quickly. While I'm at it, I should do this, since I am here I should do that, uh oh, look at that, hey this aftermarket stuff is horrible, oops, shouldn't have done that, What! Your pregnant! That was in the 90's and it's finally getting clear coated this week. It has not been registered since 1997. Be very careful with your plans and have fun.
2009 Pontiac G8 GXP 415hp/415tq 6speed

Last edited by rbar; 09-07-2012 at 07:50 PM. Reason: ..
rbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:50 PM   #13
LT1 Burb

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenspoke View Post
You can buy one cheaper that you can build one
I disagree. not in all cases. I figure my frame off restore with all new powder coated frame, parts, rebuilt motor etc will be close to 10K finished with me doing the work. I would bet that you would not find a 65 short fleet factory AC big window with 283 auto, PS and PB with custom cab option less than 20K. Plus this way, I know what is done and how its done. You just have to buy right and do the work yourself, my roller frame with everything new will be 2K, motor and trans 1500, body and paint 3500 . But I have all rust free parts and they are straight. I have parted out 5 trucks to get what I wanted but that is what I had to do to get the best stuff for free. Where there is a will there is a way, sometimes you have to think outside the box.
LT1 Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:48 PM   #14
rbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1 Burb View Post
I disagree. not in all cases. I figure my frame off restore with all new powder coated frame, parts, rebuilt motor etc will be close to 10K finished with me doing the work. I would bet that you would not find a 65 short fleet factory AC big window with 283 auto, PS and PB with custom cab option less than 20K. Plus this way, I know what is done and how its done. You just have to buy right and do the work yourself, my roller frame with everything new will be 2K, motor and trans 1500, body and paint 3500 . But I have all rust free parts and they are straight. I have parted out 5 trucks to get what I wanted but that is what I had to do to get the best stuff for free. Where there is a will there is a way, sometimes you have to think outside the box.
I agree with both sides of it, depending upon your circumstance and abilities. Going to a shop definitely skyrockets the price up. I have one I'm slowly doing myself and it will be reasonable like LT1Burb. I have another one that I have done everything but the body and just because of the body it will be more expensive than just buying a done one. But I do have it done my way and know exactly what is done and there is no surprises, and every nut and bolt is new. In my case I'd rather be into it 25k than find a done one for 20k, but I know everyone has their own scenarios and reasons why.
2009 Pontiac G8 GXP 415hp/415tq 6speed

Last edited by rbar; 09-07-2012 at 11:49 PM. Reason: ..
rbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:40 AM   #15
neverwinter

9i cant add a ton more to this but considering i am excellent at buying high and selling low, and always making giant tasks out of the easiest ones, i'd say budget 1 number and expect to pay 3 times more than that lol. now i know the term rat rod is blasphemous to some but to me an old truck loo9ks great as an old truck. again this is just my opinion and in no way meant to disparage anyone from going a full on redo or custom truck - those can be killer too. i'm not a purist its just that something about seeing a 50-60 year old truck with its dings and dents and spots that its earned throughout its life and travels speaks to me.

with that said i bought a 2500 "running- ahem" 63 that i now have 6000 into because i too parted out 3 other trucks, asked billions of questions, made mistakes and learned a lot. i ave another 1500 to go in order to freshen the engine, drop a t5 behind it and get the windshield repaired and a new exhaust. i dont do paint and for a truck i am ok with that. i figure 7500 for a running driving 60 year ok truck with a decent engine and a 5 speed is pretty good. even then i am seeing better body trucks going for less than what i have into it - its season end and people are unloading. the local hot rod shop quoted my 15k to repair and paint my 48 chevy sedan!! so i sold it lol and put the cash into the truck

sorry that isnt much help. i too thought 5k would go a long ways. but at 100/hr it doesnt take long to burn through it!
neverwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:10 AM   #16
joedoh

I have hardly anything in my truck because I have been buying parts trucks for the parts I want and selling the rest, the original 62 swb cost 500 and paid 550 back in parts, the 65 BBW was 900 and paid back 800, the s10 was 1200 and paid back 900, the truck with the wheels was 5k and paid back 4100, and so on. I think I have under 4k in the truck now including suspension work and my friends time.

If you are a good project manager you will work within your budget. If you are a bad project manager you will have "scope creep" which means you will do a bunch of stuff "while you are in there". Other than that, remember that between costs, time, and quality, you can usually pick two.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:31 AM   #17
tincan1966

I think all of are guilty at one time or another of having champagne taste and beer budgets. My own project is that way!

I also agree that buying parts vehicles, claiming what you need and reselling the rest is the way to go. Like many of the other people, we do the same.
tincan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #18
LT1 Burb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tincan1966 View Post
I think all of are guilty at one time or another of having champagne taste and beer budgets. My own project is that way!

I also agree that buying parts vehicles, claiming what you need and reselling the rest is the way to go. Like many of the other people, we do the same.
You just have to buy right, the rust free fenders, hood, perfect cab, short bedsides, seat, deluxe heater controls, windows etc were all free, and the rolling frame was 300 so not too bad.
LT1 Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:09 PM   #19
jbgroby

Look at it like a hobby, you won't feel the oinch that way.
jbgroby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:50 PM   #20
j.kirn

Its only money and you only live once so spend it on the truck and have fun with it
j.kirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:01 PM   #21
Slammed50

I work in the largest body shop in our state and I can tell you that with the latest resto we are working on which is essentially what you are looking for, we put the initial estimate at 12k and that's just to start off. And we will not guarantee any paint or bodywork that hasn't been done by us. Bare metal is the only way we will start a project, and as far as fitting panels we won't leave that up to the owner either, in order to make sure gaps and body lines are correct it is all done in house. It's too much left up to chance other wise, everyone says, "I just want it ok, not show!" Your definition of ok will not be the same as ours. Save up and get it done right or take the time to learn how to do it right yourself, either way in the long run you will be much happier.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-09-2012, 09:03 AM   #22
badriand

Quote:
Its only money and you only live once so spend it on the truck and have fun with it
I keep telling myself that on big part orders.
Posted via Mobile Device
badriand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:52 AM   #23
66clow

Depending on how bad your body is you can always do like me. Just get all the mechanics in good order so you can drive and enjoy it. For me I have been able to repair rust and dents here and there. I found a satin spray can paint that matches almost perfect to spray on the repaired areas. There are alot of different satin spray can paints that do a pretty good job for a temporary finish vs just gray or black primer. I dull the paint so it blends in. I'll ride it like this until I have the funds for a repaint. Thankfully I'm a claims adjuster and have plenty of body shop connections. That $5k would go a long way for me.
66clow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:37 PM   #24
WALYS60

Lots of great input here, thanks to all. I guess things have changed since I worked in the body shop 24 years ago... ...imagine that. Well, shoot, not really sure what I'm going to do. I have that property but other then that, my 'savings' (that being for toys like this) was being set aside for a Harley first. This project being in honor of "Wally" my grandfather, I was hoping to get some paint on it before he goes on to his reward . He's 92.

Thing I hate about the body paint part is it can't be done piece meal. Can get the body work and maybe the frame done first, but once it's ready, blasting, primer and paint kinda need to go all at once. And that sounds like the spendy part.

The body work won't amount to much, front fenders is all. It's been an AZ truck all its life and no real rust to speak of, no dents or dings either. Guess maybe I'll go natural with it for a while. I can understand the folks that prefer that too, it is history on wheels when it's raw like that.