The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-06-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
DoubleL

Do you have a vision for your truck?

Okay, maybe that's a little deep
I bought my truck with the intention of using it as a daily driver and making it a "nice looking work truck". I still plan on putting power brakes and steering. I want to bag it but not for the reason most people do I have no intention of lowering it I want it for the ride comfort.
However in the 8 months or so I have had it some things have changed. I decided early on to keep the 292 straight 6 and have already put an HEI, Clifford intake with 4 barrel and long tube headers.
After that I had a 700r4 installed and I currently have a 6 lug posi 3.73 rearend sitting in my garage to replace my howling stock rear end soon.
In order to drive it daily all seals, fluids and the belt were replaced.
Some of my plans have changed, I no longer will install a newer silverado seat with integrated seat belts. I want my interior and exterior to look "period".
So it may not be totally stock but anything visible from the outside or interior would have been available in'66
Looking over my list I guess have got a lot of major things done. I have been focused on little things now. I replaced the glove box and am building a custom gauge cluster for it.
I like the stock blue but ever since I pushed that big Yellow Tonka ( you know the one!) around in my backyard dirt pile when I was 5 I have had an eye for bright yellow trucks.
Attached Images

DoubleL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:08 PM   #2
dougf

Re: Do you have a vision for your truck?

Great post! I'll contribute more when I'm not mobile. I will say i love your idea of keeping it period. Usually when I have visions while looking at my truck I've had too many wild turkeys and 7ups!
Posted via Mobile Device
dougf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:58 PM   #3
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I originally wanted something to drive and enjoy and just do a little work on....3 years, another motor and trans swap, a paintjob, new wheels, whole new interior later.....its a little more like what I had in my head

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:26 AM   #4
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

My vision is somewhere in the midst of all these

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035

Last edited by LostMy65; 09-07-2012 at 12:32 AM.
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:00 AM   #5
MOTOIMPAIRED

Mine is something along these lines.....

MOTOIMPAIRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:11 AM   #6
dtkarst

It always starts off the same with the "i'm going to get it to where I can drive it daily etc etc" But I have been the same way. Im about to start on a frame swap on my 65 short bed custom cab. My dad said that since I have it apart I should paint it. So my plan is to paint it out business colors which is a darker blue and white. We drill water wells here in kansas and my grandfather opened the business at 17 years old in 1935 and its been going since. Since my truck has a utility box, i plan on painting it our shop colors and putting out name on the side just because. But I dont have photoshop nor am I any good at it if I did so try to picture or dark blue as the main color and two toned cab with white and site inserts on the box where the orange is.
Attached Images

dtkarst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:19 AM   #7
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

the best thing to do is to figure out your vision before you start spending money... plan changes can get expensive.

I have a pretty solid vision for what I want on each of mine, now I need to visualize winning the lottery !!!
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:17 AM   #8
Indian113

I just want to make mine a decent DD,along the lines of a Brand New 64 with modern updates.

So far ,rebuilt 350,700R4,rebuilt rear end,new brake's and lines,steering box
This winter body work-rust repair,Ac.interior work
Next year I'll work on the Stepside box=proably replace the whole thing as it's JUNK
Like it's been said before" You eat a elephant one bite at a time"
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:45 AM   #9
tincan1966

My project also started out as a 'little clean up and daily driver" Somewhere along the way that train went off the tracks.

Two engine ideas, electronic fuel injection,Phantom Key ignition, full smooth firewall, etc, etc.........

I've come to realize my vision needs an eye exam!
tincan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:35 AM   #10
CRGRS 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMy65 View Post
My vision is somewhere in the midst of all these
hey lostmy65, can you tell me when this truck was featured in custom classic trucks? THis is exactly the stance/look that I have been envisioning, except mine would be all black.

My build thread, CRGRS 66 Winter Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...09#post5638709
CRGRS 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:51 PM   #11
theastronaut

Vision? Yes, but I'm not sure that it's 20/20 all the time.

I'd like to build my '66 into a reliable daily driver that keeps all of the original styling inside and out but drive like it's on rails, something I could autocross if I wanted. More for the driving feel than all out track performance though. I'm keeping the old paint/mild patina look outside but everything else will be detailed and restored. I don't want a show truck that I have to polish all the time and worry about fingerprints and dust. Park it anywhere, haul stuff, use it as a truck and enjoy it. Scuffs and dings just add character.

• Frame braces to reduce torsional flexing- makes the suspension work like it should, less squeaks/rattles, more predictable handling. Engine/T56 trans mounted as low and rearward as possible for better weight distribution.
  • Tubular A-arms for better geometry, F&R adjustable sway bars, adjustable shocks, adjustable panhard bar, No Limit's rack and pinion kit.
  • Cadillac CTS-V (Brembo) calipers, 14" ZO6 rotors. Wilwood pedals/manual dual master cylinders with adjustable balance bar. Stainless hardlines, braided stainless flex lines. I don't like the pedal feel of power assisted brakes- reduced pedal feel and feedback compared to manual brakes.
  • Airlift D2600 airbags, Dloe's manual valves to keep it simple, hardlines for reliability, simple pump and tank. I'm toying with the idea of adjustable-height bag mounts that should allow me adjustability up or down to keep the same ride height (no alignment changes) but adjust the bag pressure/spring rate.
  • Destroked 329ci LS2 with four two-barrel Dellorto carbs on an individual runner intake, solid lifters/shaft rockers for an 8k+ rev limit. Hidden coils, fabbed "Chevrolet" script valve covers, block/heads/intake painted Alpine green like factory 327's were with factory decals. Basicly styled just like an original small block.
  • Stock interior except for 3" shortened column and original deluxe wheel shrunk to 15" diameter. Stock four speed shift lever grafted onto T56. Seat heaters added under original seat cover with hidden switches. Original gauges with stock looking 10K tach and 160 mph speedometer. Original Air gauge hooked to air ride tank.
  • Stock exterior except for shortened original bumper guards and upgraded Cibie H4 headlights. Also adding narrow spot driving lights wired into the high beams for added distance visibility. Maybe shortened side mirror arms if they'll clear opened vent windows. I'm considering making fiberglass bumpers and using 3M's chrome vinyl wrap over them for weight reduction.
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:08 PM   #12
forestb

My vision changes every time I go on this sight.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:19 PM   #13
McCoyAZ

Somewhere on this site in one of the threads there is a rendering of a 60-61 c10 that has been lowered and is painted a solid black.

It has some hude meats on the back and shiny deep dish wheels with a gold ring on the outside.

Cant find the picture or I would post it for you to see "my vision"

I had been thinkind along a different look completely until I say that rendering and it made me stop dead in my tracks.

some day maybe.......
McCoyAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:18 AM   #14
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Here's McCoy's Vision :

Posted via Mobile Device

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:20 AM   #15
McCoyAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMy65 View Post
Here's McCoy's Vision :

Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah baby

I LOVE this truck and slowly am converting my 64 step to look somewhat similar.
McCoyAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:03 AM   #16
joedoh

yep. I wanted to drive an old truck without all the common problems of driving an old truck. I think I am almost there.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:34 PM   #17
donthekawguy

Flat black paint, lime green on the roof and wheels. Tubbed loud nasty power brakes comfy ride nice interior close the doors with a finger. AC!
Old 09-08-2012, 05:32 PM   #18
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

It took many years for a clear plan to evolve, but I finally decided I wanted my truck to have everything on it that I lusted for back in the early-mid 60’s before my first driver’s license, money, or girls. I grew up on Car Craft and Rod & Custom magazines, and had plenty of time to ogle and envy the gassers and other popular custom and hot rod parts and trends. Much of my time was spent building model cars and dreaming of the cool car I’d have when I got older and could afford one. With my current truck I think I finally achieved my goal.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:16 PM   #19
dantimdad

Well, mine started off as a daily driver, then, the more I sanded, the more cover ups I found. The bed was totally shot, more patching than I care to count and all of the bushings needed replacing.

So, now, it's off the frame. It will be a bright yellow flatbed with every nut and bolt gone over, the seat and seatbelts from a 94 silverado, vinyl door panels and headliner, smoothies or rallies.

I figured if I had to redo everything, might as well make it a really nice looking work truck.

Steven

Matt. 6:27 "Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?”

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...=507266&page=2
dantimdad is offline   Reply With Quote