The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-07-2012, 09:08 PM   #1
Carly's GMC

68 GMC power steering conversion

Hello, I am the proud second owner of a 1968 GMC. I got the 6 cyc. 250 running and my 16 year old daughter has taking a liking to the truck. I am now trying to gather all the parts to convert to power steering so she could handle driving it.
Would anyone know if the box from a 1983 (also 250) would fit a 1968? Each one is 11" long but i can't tell (from pictures) if the brackets would bolt up. Could anyone shed a little light on this?
Carly's GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:19 PM   #2
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Re: 68 GMC power steering conversion

Welcome to the best reference for these trucks on the internet.Yes it will work.The Brackets are a little different for the pump but can be altered.There is info on that if you search.Get all the braackets,pulleys,hoses and such from the donor.If you clean and paint the pump and brackets,pay close attention to which spacers go where.You may want to take the alternator and brackets also as there are some differences in offset of pulleys.It's best to get everything from one setup,otherwise it will be a pain to match everything up so you get good pulley alignment.IIRC you need to use the PS Pitman arm from the year of truck(or front suspension:see PB info below) you're installing it on.
While you're sorting that out,keep your eyes open for a 67-72 PB setup.If you get the complete front crossmember off of the 83 it will bolt up and give you front disc brakes also.More info on that can be found with a search.Good luck with it and just ask if yu need more on either upgrade.
PS and PB will get her going in style and more importantly safety.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #3
Zeke's Garage

I'm not sure, but the '83 may fit.. you'll need to make sure the pitman arm will fit both your box and center link. I swapped a '72 box onto my '67 after finding the pump and brackets for the inline 6.

The biggest issue most face is the fact that the frame on your '68 doesn't have the dimple for the bump in the power steering box where it bolts to the frame. I had to offset the box with a couple of flat washers on each of the mounting bolts. It will kick your steering off a couple of degrees, so if the steering wheel not being centered bothers you, you'll need to get it realigned.

Other than that, the upgrade was very straightforward, and all the girls in my life can drive the truck that much easier.

Good Luck

Shawn
Zeke's Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:40 PM   #4
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke's Garage View Post

The biggest issue most face is the fact that the frame on your '68 doesn't have the dimple for the bump in the power steering box where it bolts to the frame. I had to offset the box with a couple of flat washers on each of the mounting bolts. It will kick your steering off a couple of degrees, so if the steering wheel not being centered bothers you, you'll need to get it realigned.

Other than that, the upgrade was very straightforward, and all the girls in my life can drive the truck that much easier.
The frames without the dimple are normally just the 1967 model year.
All the other frames should have the dimple for the larger P/S boxes.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823

Last edited by lolife99; 09-08-2012 at 09:27 AM.
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:50 PM   #5
GuyO

Like Panel and Shawn says, take everything from the donor truck. I have done two steering conversions and both use Saginaw pumps. Your daughter has good taste. A couple of mods I would suggest: Power brakes, tilt wheel (very little room in cab), pointless ignition, next heat range up in plugs, shoulder harness seat belts, head light relay mod and when you can the disc brakes are very important. A 68 with a 250 delivers about 155 hp, plenty strong and very reliable.
GuyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:17 AM   #6
BlackedOut67shorty

Welcome I would check the pitman arm too. if i were you id try to find a 71 or 72 and swap everything over to disks and you will most likely find one with power steering too. all you need to do is find brakets for the 250. I even think people would get later year crossmembers and put them in. But one thing at a time, sorry for rambling but i think the cutoff year for the power steering boxes is 1968 to 1976. cant seem to find one for 1977 to 79 but i do see that yours falls into the 1980 to 91. However it might bolt up like paneldeland. im just looking into replacement steering boxes and thats what came up. I did the swap with a 71 c10 but ive seen things on this site that i never thought could be done. All it takes is determination.
2000 mercury sable
Thats a how I roll

Last edited by BlackedOut67shorty; 09-08-2012 at 12:22 AM.
BlackedOut67shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:54 PM   #7
Carly's GMC

Thanks to all for the information.
I'm not to comfortable that everything will just bolt up. Someone mentioned there might be a little modification. Sounds like the pulleys may not line up if i can't get the fan, etc. Though It seems that the alternator will just move down a little. I may just have to keep looking for a 68 thru 72. I already have one gear box that someone said would work... and it would need modification too. I think it's from a 4x4.
Thanks
Carly's GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:09 PM   #8
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

4X4 gearbox will not work on a 2WD.Basically if you can find a donor truck 1971 up to 1986.The entire front crossmember will bolt up in the original holes on your frame.Adding a power booster and MC with the matched Proportioning valve will give you disc brakes.The power steering pump bracket has one mounting tab for a bolt that does,not match up on the later model engine.If you have an engine with the intake/exhuast manifold cast as part of the head,you have an integrated head engine and will need to modify the bracket.I found an original 250 bracket set so I didn't have to do that.There is a write up and pics of the mod on the site somewhere.This and the three point seat belts will make the truck easier and safer for her to drive.
If you want the regular 6 cyl brackets,you can watch the classified ads for one,they come up on there.You can also just add the power steeering without swapping the front to disc brakes.
Do a search on NC67chev.He did a good job of documenting this upgrade on his truck with a 250.
Also keep in mind that the 250 came in a lot of body styles.Nova's,Biscaynes,Bel Airs all could be had with the 250(or 230 in some cars) and those brackets will work on your engine without mods.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:10 PM   #9
pritch

Does that '83 donor have the integral head? That would be the issue with the PS pump bracket needing some massaging. The correct mounts are pretty common for a non-integral-head 250, though. In case you don't know, see if the head and intake manifold are one piece on the '83. GM changed over to this type at some point and, to be polite, it was not their best idea.
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote