The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-09-2012, 04:55 AM   #1
Cue-Ball

Short rear shock recommendations?

Tried to search the forum first, but search seems to be broken. So, I'll just pose the question here: Anyone have recommendations on short rear shocks that work well and last without costing an arm and a leg? My truck is lowered ~4" all around (cut springs and spindles up front, shackles and hangers in the rear) and is using the stock shock mount locations. When I lowered the truck I put on a new set of rear shocks that were supposedly made for my application. I don't know what brand they are, but they are total crap. My truck has had a bouncy ride since the day I put them on and now, less than a year later, it's so bad I can't stand it anymore. I might as well just run with no rear shocks - it's that bad!

So, does anyone have a recommendation for short rear shocks that will work well, last well, and firm up my ride without breaking the bank? I know a lot of guys recommend the Edelbrock shocks as a budget option, but they don't make a shock short enough for a 4" lowered application.
Cue-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:39 AM   #2
Square_78

Re: Short rear shock recommendations?

Stock length front shocks bolted in the rear, Monroe shock part# 5758 ( off a 1950's Chrysler or dodge car ) in the front. Simple and cheap. Another member told me he runs this on his bagged 67-72 c10. I dont see why it wouldnt work on 73-87. My 1978 c10 is lowered about 5.5" up front and im still running stock length front shocks and they dont bottom out. My stock length back shocks bottomed out about the same time the axle hits the frame. No need for drop shocks unless you are lower than that and c-notched.

Last edited by Square_78; 09-09-2012 at 06:45 AM.
Square_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:34 AM   #3
J Knight

Get a set of bell tech shock extenders, I think they are only about $50 and you can keep your new stock shocks. Also make sure its your shocks bottoming out and not your axle on the bumpstops. I can't get a link on my cell right now but ill get you one tonight.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-09-2012, 08:47 AM   #4
slinginrods

I have stock length front on the rear of mine,I hate the way shock extenders are engineered and look.(too much hanging down and a bracket bolted to a bracket is just too cheesy looking to me)just my opinion.
Posted via Mobile Device
slinginrods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:18 PM   #5
EasySteve

G series van shocks will let the axle hit the frame before they bottem out
Lowered and shaved
My Build!
EasySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:37 PM   #6
Cue-Ball

I just went out and took some measurements. At normal ride height with an empty bed my shocks are 16.5" long. I'm getting about 3.5-4" of downward travel and guesstimating about 1-1.5" of upward travel. So, whatever I get is going to need a compressed length of no more than about 12.5" and an extended length of no less than about 18".

The Monroe 5758 won't work. It has a minimum length of 9.3" but a maximum of only 14.6". It is simply too short. The Monroe 33033 is the standard front replacement for these trucks. It also is too short with an extended length of only 14.6". The G10 rear shocks (Monroe 34910) are close, but their compressed length is 13". That's just long enough that they would probably bottom out before the suspension and blow out if I hauled anything. I searched through most of the options on RockAuto and didn't find anything that had the correct measurements.

The closest thing I've found so far is Pro Comp 418509. These shocks have a perfect length of 11.7" compressed and 18.6" extended (almost 7 inches of travel, nearly 2" more than most of the Monroes). The only problem is that they cost $40 each versus about half that much for the Monroe shocks from RockAuto. But, these are the only ones I've found that really look like they will fit my application properly, so I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and get them. If they fix my horrible ride, they'll be worth the extra dough.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:20 PM   #7
Cue-Ball

Just wanted to post a quick update to this thread. I removed my (not so) old shocks today and installed the new Pro Comp 418509s. HUGE improvement. I haven't had a chance to drive the truck yet, but it now passes the "bounce test". These shocks turned out to be the perfect length and they have a larger, beefier body than the ones I removed.

Speaking of the ones I removed, they were McGaughy's. I thought they were, but didn't want to speak ill of their product until I was sure. I've had them on my truck for, I think, less than 5,000 miles and they were SHOT. I could compress them quickly by just using my hands. Barely any damping at all. I'm hopeful that the new shocks will last longer and work better. They certainly couldn't do much worse!

Anyway, if you're looking for rear shocks for a 4-5" drop, I would suggest looking at the Pro Comps. They're more expensive than the other "bargain" shocks, but they fit correctly.