The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-09-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
jocko

aux tank access doors - retrofits/replacements

Here's an example of a retrofit of a later model vehicle gas filler access door on a (GORGEOUS) 71 in place of the aux tank doors. Looks better than the flimsy aluminum panels imho, but it certainly took some talent to graft them in.

While it's not original (and I'm all about original) - considering the 3 tank config was normally a dealer added option (factory was normally the extra filler cap just aft of the main one on the cab) - and was rather hideous and flopped around a bit when worn out... was wondering if anyone has any other examples of retrofitted access doors. It would be a lot of workand require some decent welding/finishing skills. Persoanally, I "think" a round one would look better - but I think the pictured square one is really nice also. I'd actually probably prefer to just blank them off (and fill the hole with a patch and re-finish the whole thing) and add wheelwell fillers, but.... just considering.

If you have examples, pls post a pic if possible and state what it came from/how you did it, etc.
Thanks!
Attached Images

jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:31 PM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: aux tank access doors - retrofits/replacements

I don't mind the period accessory Paktron doors,but to be custom I have considered grafting-in a fuel door from another vehicle. I would do square because everything was square back then and it would look appropriate. You don't want them to jump out at you,and we are used to seeing square doors in bedsides. You didn't really see round doors till the '88s

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:55 PM   #3
jocko

good point special-K, and the one on the customD above looks pretty darn nice as a square one - it does fit in with the truck's lines pretty good I think, and a round one might look more "obviously" added...
Old 09-09-2012, 10:40 PM   #4
special-K
Special Order

I'm not ready to get into body work,so I can let this marinade. I'm thinking the truck may never be really refined,so not sure I'll ever do the filler doors. I'm also considering eliminating the tanks and repairing the holes. I really don't need the extra fuel capacity. I hate to think what filling all three would cost now!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 09-09-2012, 11:19 PM   #5
jocko

ha! Good point - but it all comes out even and you wouldn't have to stop as often...!
I'm surprised there haven't been any threads on modifying aux tanks for fenderwell (i.e. by the tire in the wheelwell) fillers that don't really show - but that's probably most folks are like you (and me) in that the bodywork to repair the holes would be a bit of a pain... Maybe worthwhile for a full blown rebuild - and might be easier than grafting in filler doors from something else.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:17 AM   #6
nra4life

Jocko, I have a '72 3/4 ton with the side tanks. We used later model round tank doors. The square ones look fine on the picture of the green truck above, but if the truck has both sets of side trim, oh oh. Look carefully at a truck with the deluxe trim. If you look closely, you will see that the strips are not parallel. On those trucks, the square doors will not look good. Also, some of the tanks were made to fill in the wheel wells instead of the side. If you can find a pair of those, you don't have to mess with doors at all. I hope this is some help to you. Roy
nra4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:22 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
ha! Good point - but it all comes out even and you wouldn't have to stop as often...!
That's true,but these days with this crap they call gas you have to worry about how "fresh" it is. Gas is getting like milk,use it or lose it.

I kinda like seeing the Paktron-type doors on a 3/4t. They are common period accessories from before people bought these as glamour vehicles,just the same as bumper guards,vent shades,etc. I like to see nice cargo hooks,snap on tonneau covers,sliding back windows,step bumpers,etc.

My truck has lower trim and it runs true with the body line...and gas filler door. I have only seen trim not line up from piece to piece,but always parallel with the body line. I'm just used to seeing these square doors on these trucks. I think 1988 when I see round ones. But that's just me.

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 09-21-2012 at 06:30 AM.