The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-12-2012, 07:31 PM   #1
62lwbc10

Serious Question - How to sell a Project

Guys I have been working on my 62 long bed step for 6 years. The cab is in my garage, where I have been welding it for years. The cab is pertty much done and has more work and money in it than I care to talk about. The rolling frame with motor and tranny is in my side yard. I have various parts all over my property in sheds, etc. About a year ago, in preparation for the big push, I spent about 5 grand on bed sides, fenders, front/reat tailgate, suspension kit, brake lines, etc. As is happens, I may need to sell the project. Im not really interested in parting it out. Am I going to take a severe beating in selling the project? I can help but think there must be someone in my area that would drool to take it off my hands. I just dont know how/where to advertise. Someone recently told me they'd give me 4 grand for it. Am I to expect to lose that much money? Anyway, Id appreciate any advice. Do I have any hope to find someone to take the project and if so, how do I come up with a realistic price?

THanks,
Mark
62lwbc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:21 PM   #2
FetchMeAPepsi

Re: Serious Question - How to sell a Project

The short answer is YES. You have a bucket of parts to sell and you want to get back more than it's worth to someone that doesn't know the condition, the assembly, and the quality of work put into it. It's just a bucket of parts. It always costs more if you worked on it first - that's the Mechanic's law

If it were me I'd start taking pics and selling parts in the "for sale" section of the forum here if I was really interested in recouping a portion of my spent money.
See My Build - Cecilia!
Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
FetchMeAPepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:42 PM   #3
jonathan-m

You're going to take a significant loss selling it in its current condition, no question about it.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:46 PM   #4
padresag

it doesn't cost anything to list it in several places, like c/l for eg..if no one likes what you want for it then you have other options such as parting it out or putting it together to see if you can recoup

for $15.. here you can list it for 6 months or a good base for parting it. don't panic unless you need to sell it
ron
or if you are really fed up and want to end the pain. price it to move
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:12 PM   #5
KJSR

You will take a loss no matter what you do. It sounds like you have paid retail for the items you have purchased and almost nobody will give that back. If you want to sell it as a whole, put it together as much as you can even if it is just mocked up. Prime the bare metal, etc and it will look much closer than a pile of parts. You can also sell the new items for a reduced price and then sell the remaining peices as a project. Ebay seems to bring the most money......just my .02c
1965 Chevrolet K10 Suburban
1969 Chevrolet C10
1937 Plymouth P4
KJSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #6
Mrphoto

I've got mine listed on Craigslist, here, and just now HAMB.

I'm also asking local shops and friends too...
Mrphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:39 PM   #7
GMR-PERFORMANCE

Add up what you have and cut it in half and that is about what its worth in todays market.

KJSR has a great idea.. Mock it up even if its just sitting on the frame, a few bolts to hold the box together.. Make it look more like a truck vs a massive pile of parts.. That will make it more seller friendly..
GMR-PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:06 PM   #8
donthekawguy

Take the 4 grand and run!
Old 09-13-2012, 08:20 PM   #9
theastronaut

I say it depends on the project, and the guy buying it. I paid more for my truck which was completely apart than I could have for a good running/driving truck. But, the frame/suspension/brakes were completely redone (blasted, powdercoated, all new parts), there was almost no rust in the whole truck, and the paint was nice enough to use as is- saving me the time and money of prepping/painting it. It has all the options I liked and came with a new GM Performance crate 350. It did help that I bought it from our mechanic who we've been friends with for years, so I trusted his work. Did I give more than it was worth as a project? Maybe, but it was everything I wanted in a truck and still gave me room to do some things to my taste, vs buying a finished truck. Put it out there for what it is, and somebody may be looking for just that.
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote