The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-12-2012, 07:51 PM   #1
markreed

Drum Brake...Is this bad?

Just got done changing all the springs and adjusters and wheel cylinders in the rear drums. This is my first time ever working on drum brakes. I was unable to get the drums turned due to excessive wear, so I had the local parts store order me a new pair. They are normally very good and knowledgeable.

Below are two pictures that can hopefully illustrate my situation. The new drums don't come anywhere close to sealing the area. They are all the way seated on the axle shaft...The drums are 11*2 which is what I thought they were suppose to be.

Truck is a 64 GMC 1000, dana 44 rear end...6 lug.

markreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:28 PM   #2
slorio

Re: Drum Brake...Is this bad?

Markreed:
In a word, YES. They gave you Chevy drums instead of GMC drums. Did you read over the thread that I referred you to in your last post?

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=406752

The GMC drums for your Dana 44 rear end have more offset than the Chevy drums. The original drums are getting hard to find, but the link above provides two part numbers that will work. The later drums with fins have to have the lug holes drilled from half inch to 9/16", but have the offset that you need.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Steve
New Orleans
slorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:32 PM   #3
slorio

Markreed:
Here's the later drum on E bay. Remember you will need to drill out the lug holes, but other than that, this will solve your problem.
Regards,
Steve
New Orleans

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Raybestos-20...1e78ca&vxp=mtr
Old 09-12-2012, 08:43 PM   #4
markreed

Slorio, I should have known. I did look at that, but the parts store was so convincing!
Old 09-12-2012, 08:56 PM   #5
slorio

Markreed:
The books are often misleading. That drum will work on the front of your GMC, but not the rear. It does work on the Chevy rear. This is one of the differences of GMC vs. Chevy. GMC's use rear leaf springs on a Dana 44 rear end. Chevies use coil springs. If they would have read the notes in the book, it would have likely footnoted for coil spring rear end. Most of the parts guys simply don't look hard enough.

Have you signed up at:
6066gmcguy.org

This website has a wealth of GMC info and great resources from the folks on their discussion group. Which engine are you running in your GMC? If you have the V6, the guys on that discussion group have all the answers. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Steve
New Orleans
Old 09-13-2012, 07:26 PM   #6
gimmy 64

those part numbers from that lod thread are no good they don't make them anymore. i used 72 chevy blazer 4x4 drums they fit fine and you don't have to drill larger holes.
gimmy 64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:13 PM   #7
chazlll

Hey mark i have a set of 66 drums for a dana 44 that i was about to set too the curb! i dont want any money for them but if you like i can hold on to these a short while & if you cant find any thing that works contact me & we will see what we can do to get you these! there a little rusty but in really good shape. i had my axles drilled 5 on 5 to match the front disk brake up grade. good luck.
Attached Images

chazlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:49 PM   #8
markreed

The more I think about it, and the more I keep finding parts that do not fit...the more I want to get re-drilled to five-lug.

You have the part number to get drums that will still fit my application, but with 5-lug?
Old 09-19-2012, 08:25 PM   #9
chazlll

Hey mark i got my drums at Oreillys . The part # is 2065 DGS & the other # on the box is 81-60294. I had my axles drilled & the center turned down to match 5 on 5 - studs installed & bearings pressed on for 165.00$. it took them 3 days & I bought the bearings ! you can ask any good speed shop in your area for info on who can cut down axles . good luck i hope i helped you a little.
chazlll is offline   Reply With Quote