The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-12-2012, 09:52 PM   #1
72K5NTX

A/C Question 72 K5

Ive got a 72 K5 A/C truck with all the stuff in it except the compressor and front condenser. I have all hoses except those that hook up the compressor and front condenser. A friend of mine just bought a 76 K5 and does not want A/C and has all the goodies I seem to need.

My question, and maybe its a noob one, is that my alternator is on the left side where the compressor would go, could I use her brackets and compressor and stuff to move my alternator and use the compressor?

Also is there any way to check the working condition of a compressor besides installing it and trying it out?

Both are 350s and I believe my engine is from a later model like maybe 86 or something.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
72K5NTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:04 PM   #2
Ole Beater

Re: A/C Question 72 K5

You can mount the compressor on either side as long as the hoses reach and the fan belt will line up with the pullys on the crank and water pump correctly. Three checks that you can do on the compressor would be to apply 12 volts to the coil and see if it pulls the clutch plate in. You connect + 12 to the wire connection and then ground (-) to the casing.
The second check is to try and turn the crankshaft and see if it is pumping. Make sure your spinning the compressor crank and not the clutch freewheeling.

Third is the hardest but you need to pressure check the compressor and make sure there are no leaks. The only way to do that is to seal up the inlet and outlet and pressurize it in some way with nitrogen preferably. You could get away with compressed air or refrigerant but i don't recommend it. It may be easiest to connect all the hoses before mounting the compressor to the engine and pressure checking everything. I use dish soap and water to bubble test every seam and connection. Kinda like a car or bike tire. I wouldnt go over 100 psi.
Ole Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:06 PM   #3
Ole Beater

Re: A/C Question 72 K5

Also when you mix match compressors you need to know which is the suction and which is the discharge so that you can match it to the lines.
Ole Beater is offline   Reply With Quote