The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-13-2012, 01:38 PM   #1
Emmets '63

Question E-brake crossmember/T5 trans

Ok so I've successfully rebuilt and installed a NWC T5 in my '63 Fleetside long.
As of yet I don't have a rear mount xmember for the T5 but am driving it gently until I do. Problem is that the T5 xmember mounting location is directly on top of the xmember that has all the e-brake stuff. What did you T5 guys do for an e-brake? Thanks Gents!
Emmets '63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #2
padresag

Re: E-brake crossmember/T5 trans

if you are running it with the orig bellhousing mounted to the crossmember then you do not require the rear trans mount. that was the way that the orig trans was mounted and how many years did that work?
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:00 PM   #3
jocko

padre's spot on - don't use a rear xmember for the trans if you used the dogear bell mounts (as original). Voila - and you're done. Many folks assume you need a rear trans mount because the factory T5's had them - but they only had them becuase the bell housing was not mounted to dog ear mounts like they were back in the day. It's an either/or, but not both sort of deal.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:42 PM   #4
Emmets '63

Ok, no transmission mount in the rear. But now when I try to reinstall (I removed the e-brake xmember to facilitate tranny install) the e-brake xmember linkage, which is on the top of the xmember, bumps into the tranny not allowing it to engage e-brake. You guys didn't have any probs with that?
Old 09-13-2012, 05:36 PM   #5
Emmets '63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woogeroo View Post
some folks drop the e brake mechanism with the springs and things down lower than stock when they do a transmission change.

other folks just use the 1966 -1972 style e brake system.

-W
I was thinking that route but then I'll have to move exhaust. Sounds like the only option.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:51 PM   #6
brokenspoke

On my 1965 I moved the cross member back....I used the orginial rear hole in frame and the front hole of cross member....I had to shorten brake cables and extend the single cable from brake handle....I also had to bend the center bracket a little..worked for me
brokenspoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:34 AM   #7
1enick72

I ended up using 1/4" steel plates on my bell housing mounts to give my tail shaft a little lift and clear my e brake linkage. My future plans will be to drop build a new crossmember and move the linkage to the bottom and use a tail shaft mount and switch to an newer style aluminum bell housing.

edited by staff
1enick72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:20 PM   #8
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmets '63 View Post
Ok, no transmission mount in the rear. But now when I try to reinstall (I removed the e-brake xmember to facilitate tranny install) the e-brake xmember linkage, which is on the top of the xmember, bumps into the tranny not allowing it to engage e-brake. You guys didn't have any probs with that?
that's interesting Emmett - is the 63 p-brake crossmember different from a 66? I had no interference at all. I did have to loosen the cables up significantly to get the trans installed, but once installed, I had clearance.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:38 PM   #9
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The '63-'65's had the e-brake crossmember with the lever and arms that make the transition from the single cable coming from the cab, to the 2 cables, one from each rear brake assembly. Starting in '66, GM eliminated the crossmember completely and replaced it with an intermediate cable and a couple rods and hooks. This is why some of us recommend changing to the '66-'72 e-brake cable assembly. It is much easier to deal with when converting to an auto trans or some other manual transmissions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
that's interesting Emmett - is the 63 p-brake crossmember different from a 66? I had no interference at all. I did have to loosen the cables up significantly to get the trans installed, but once installed, I had clearance.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:16 PM   #10
Snowbound

I'll have to deal with this with my TKO swap. Probably mount the cross member under the frame and shim it down a little for clearance. Shimming the bell mount may throw the driveline angles off.
Posted via Mobile Device
1965 Chevy Short Box Stepside, 230 - 3 speed, 4:11 gears, original paint rust free survivor. Now sporting a 383 SBC and TKO-600
Snowbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:07 PM   #11
jocko

concur - I would not shim the bell mounts at all - any shimming there, that close to the motor mounts will equate to a major change in driveline angle at the u-joints.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:15 PM   #12
1enick72

maybe not completely correct but ran that way for 8 months with 6 cyl and another 6 months with V8 and no issues.

edited by staff
1enick72 is offline   Reply With Quote