The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-14-2012, 07:56 AM   #1
Johnny1970

Rookie C15 Owner/1st time poster

Hello everyone My name is John and I have a truck to build, I am a rookie mechanic, a rookie forum member and probably a million questions to ask. I was always told that the first step is accepting I have a problem...

I have looked at several threads and it seems that most of my questions are already answered however, I cannot for life of me find a picture of what the engine compartment is supposed to look like when everything is properly put together. I recently bought this 1970 GMC C15 LWB 3spd for me to drive and for my sons to drive as a first truck. Took me several months to find it, but it runs and it has cancer in the usual spots, but not too bad, and got it for $1700. I sold my '68 Barracuda that wasn't running to get this truck, and plan to build it and eventually retore it with my teenage boys so they can learn some basic mechanics. I helped my dad restore the Cuda when I was a teenager(many years ago) and that is the extent of my mechanicking skills. Teaching them to drive the three speed is gonna be the fun part.

Ok...to the point of this post. The truck has the stock L6 250 with the Rochester Monojet for now, and it runs great when it will start. Like I said, I am a rookie at owning one of these trucks and mechanic work so I need some help. It looks like some things have been disconnected, but I don't know enough about what the engine is supposed to look like to reconnect everything properly. I think I have already identidied that I am missing some choke parts. It currently takes my son holding the the choke closed and me in the cab to start it; and that is only if the sun is out and it's warm. If you all could give me some advice, I would greatly appreciate it. Hope the pictures post properly. If you need more pics let me know, I will take more and plan on creating a build thread so you all can see her being restored.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Attached Images

Old 09-14-2012, 08:21 AM   #2
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Re: Rookie C15 Owner/1st time poster

Welcome aboard from Central Florida! I can't help with the 6 but someone will be along soon to help you. Good looking GMC. You'll like it here.
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:53 AM   #3
yuccales

Good looking truck! Can't help you out much with the carb issues, but I notice the pcv hose is not hooked up. Nice that you have a HEI dist. in it.
yuccales is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:20 PM   #4
PAWS 72

Welcome to the board. good looking truck.The carb is out of my league,sorry.
PAWS 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:46 AM   #5
71sierragrande
Petroleum User

Sweet truck, Pull the motor and Ill give you $1700 for it right now! Youve solved your own problem. Its all in the choke.

1971 GMC Sierra Grande 2WD 1/2 ton, 350/400 auto
2008 Chevy Silverado 2WD 1/2 ton LT1 5.3L auto
71sierragrande is offline   Reply With Quote