The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-14-2012, 08:45 AM   #1
neverwinter

63 c10 w/ 283 stalls when turning and runs better with choke on

hey all
i recently swapped out the stock ram horns for the corvette 2.5 inch versions from Summit and went from the factory 2-1 exhaust into duals. i used simple Thrush mufflers and made a very basic exhaust setup. I also did NOT use the ram horn gaskets per instructions that came with them - and my stock setup did not have any gaskets on there either.

the truck has never ran "perfect". even before all of this the truck would die upon slowing down at intersections, etc. i had my mechanic take a cursory look and he made some tweaks and it always started great. even on the drive home from his shop the truck would buck sputter and die. he didnt charge me anything so not worried about that. changed plugs, wires, etc.

i dont mind spending time with stock carb but i wouldnt mind a new carb (already have a performer intake for sbc) if that is a better long term route. i dont plan on any major mods other than a real exhaust setup so id like to be able to adjust the carb fairly easily. i dont recall what my stock one is.

i know the 500 cfm is recommended. i also think the 600 is better for anything like a 350. can i detune a 600 for the 283 in order to get a carb with some flixibility? or just stick with the 500 edelbrock?

thanks all
neverwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:13 AM   #2
tincan1966

Re: 63 c10 w/ 283 stalls when turning and runs better with choke on

Just guessing, but my first thought would be a fuel delivery problem(fuel pump, clogged filter, etc) I would also check the pick up tube in the tank, they are notorious for rusting and breaking off. even if there are pin holes, it can lower the suction of the pump and not provide adequate fuel.
Just a thought(guess)
tincan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:22 AM   #3
JMR5

I agree on checking your fuel pressure to make sure you don't have a problem there. Also, what kind of distributor are you running? When I switched from dual points to an electronic distributor on my 283 it made a world of difference. Also, for what it's worth, I ran an edelbrock 600 carb at the factory settings and it worked great for my little 283.
JMR5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:52 AM   #4
neverwinter

thanks all - idiot ? but how would i check the fuel pump? i can be in 4th gear doing 45 mph and there are no issues at all until i slow to downshift and turn. i'd think a bad pump would be evident at all rpms's/ speeds? i am going to pull the carb tonight and clean and check the floats, jets etc.

after a 20% off sale and returning some bits i'd be into the new carn and intake for 200. is it worth that 200 to go new carb setup? i have the cash. just want to spend properly.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:56 AM   #5
luvbowties

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverwinter View Post
hey all
i recently swapped out the stock ram horns for the corvette 2.5 inch versions from Summit and went from the factory 2-1 exhaust into duals. i used simple Thrush mufflers and made a very basic exhaust setup. I also did NOT use the ram horn gaskets per instructions that came with them - and my stock setup did not have any gaskets on there either.

the truck has never ran "perfect". even before all of this the truck would die upon slowing down at intersections, etc. i had my mechanic take a cursory look and he made some tweaks and it always started great. even on the drive home from his shop the truck would buck sputter and die. he didnt charge me anything so not worried about that. changed plugs, wires, etc.

i dont mind spending time with stock carb but i wouldnt mind a new carb (already have a performer intake for sbc) if that is a better long term route. i dont plan on any major mods other than a real exhaust setup so id like to be able to adjust the carb fairly easily. i dont recall what my stock one is.

i know the 500 cfm is recommended. i also think the 600 is better for anything like a 350. can i detune a 600 for the 283 in order to get a carb with some flixibility? or just stick with the 500 edelbrock?

thanks all
Just to rule out a vacuum leak: Have engine warmed up & idling with air cleaner off. Lightly lay a piece of notebook paper horizontally on top of carb (if it has air-clnr stud, punch pencil-hole in center of paper). If idle speed increases & engine runs better, it indicates a leak. If so, remove the paper & spray something like WD40 around intake, base of carb, vacuum hoses, & other possible sources of air leaks. When idle spray causes engine to speed up and run smoother, repair that vac leak.
HTH, and rules out a possible, simple cause of your symptoms.
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:09 AM   #6
neverwinter

well the cash was burning a hole so i bought the 500 cfm version from autozone. 299 - 20% off plus free ship - 75 in returned goods = 175 or so for a new carb. i can live with that. hopefully that cures some of the ills so i can drive this beast!
Old 09-14-2012, 11:14 AM   #7
TopFuel1966

If you need to restrict the air flow into the carb with the choke to get the motor to run better then you obviously have a lean air/fuel ratio. If the motor stalls when you slow down or turn a corner the fuel level in the float bowel may be too low. Check all of your tank, lines and filters for dirt, rust, etc. and then check the float level adjustment. Also check the float itself to make sure that there are is not a pinhole in it which would cause fuel to leak inside of it and weigh it down.
TopFuel1966 is offline   Reply With Quote