The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-14-2012, 06:31 PM   #1
Improbcat

Key code for door lock?

After having my GPS stolen out of my truck I've decided I do need to be able to lock the doors after all. However the truck only came with an ignition key. Does the door lock or glove lock have the key code(or is there someplace else on the truck) so I can get a new key cut?
Improbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:24 PM   #2
corvettejim1968

Re: Key code for door lock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Improbcat View Post
After having my GPS stolen out of my truck I've decided I do need to be able to lock the doors after all. However the truck only came with an ignition key. Does the door lock or glove lock have the key code(or is there someplace else on the truck) so I can get a new key cut?
my ignition key locks my door as well are you saying yours does not?

i went on Ebay to buy a correct blank so i could have a good spare before i wore out the original.
https://coolc10.com/
corvettejim1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:39 PM   #3
Improbcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvettejim1968 View Post
my ignition key locks my door as well are you saying yours does not?
Just double checked, and no it doesn't. Don't know if that is because the ignition was swapped out or something. But all the replacement sets I've seen have been for one key for doors & one for ignition so I assumed that was how it worked.

Maybe I should see about getting stuff keyed the same. Still need to figure out the original key code though.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:11 PM   #4
flashed

Look up Lockdoc here on this site ,he can help you .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:48 AM   #5
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Fwiw, doesn't matter what key you get, you can unlock half of these trucks with a long finger nail. If you really want to keep people out, we forum member need to figure out a BETTER mouse trap than these old door locks. Anyone with a screwdriver doesn't have much stopping them.

Anyone know of a way to put a more modern tumbler in one of these things?

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:41 AM   #6
oem4me

I was going to chime in earlier but stopped myself because i didn't want to be the nay saying wet blanket, but BR3 is right. I had the first truck I restored stolen by a guy who tried the key from HIS truck in MY door, and IT WORKED! In fact, rumor has it if you take a couple dozen or so various Chevy keys with you, you'll get into whatever vintage Chevy you want. The more worn the lock, the less keys you need to try before one fits.
Ultimately, the quality of the door lock isn't that important when a broken window will get you in too. Your best bet is to outsmart the stupid scumbags who steel stuff by using antitheft measures inside like alarms, kill switches, fuel cut-offs, lo jack style tracers, etc., etc. Lots of aftermarket technology to support you here. Man I hate thieves. Good luck.
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:59 AM   #7
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

I can confirm that rumor/theory. My first car was a 1946 Chevy two door sedan, purchased in 1965. The original ignition switch opened every GM car I ever tried it on. It worked on my 47 Chevy coupe, my dad’s 62 Buick Special, my mom’s 64 Buick Skylark, my 54 Chevy, and a few cars in auto shop that had their keys locked inside.

I thought it was interesting, but having no ill intent the key went with the car when I sold it. After the car was gone I wished I had kept the key just as a novelty item.

Years later when I worked at Peterbilt I discovered there were a very limited number of different locks/keys provided for the new trucks. I’m pretty sure the number was 25. So anyone with a Peterbilt key had a 1 in 25 chance of opening any other Pete. Of course that statistic was never published.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:24 PM   #8
61K10

take the door handle off--take out the lock--there is a number on it which is the key code. any locksmith can make you a key.

my build is------------61K10 build
61K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:14 PM   #9
Improbcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61K10 View Post
take the door handle off--take out the lock--there is a number on it which is the key code. any locksmith can make you a key.
Thank you, that is exactly the info I needed.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:22 PM   #10
gofastnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61K10 View Post
Good info, thanks!
I know locksmiths have different tumblers for home door locks when they want to re-key them. I would imagine someone has to have them for autos too. Maybe you can get the ign & door cylinders re-keyed with a non GM type code. That should help, unless the tumbler housing (lock itself) is worn out.
I also agree w/ oem4me, having taken some locksmithing classes--for legitimate reasons, the more worn the lock, the easier to pick.
Interested to see how this progresses...
C-10 Club
My achingly slow build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=508345
gofastnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:34 PM   #11
srziemkowski

You can take the lock to the dealer or get a new one and they will code it for you, if I were near you and worked at a dealer I would have done it for you
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-20-2012, 03:29 PM   #12
64fleetside

True, only five cuts on the key-so 25 different keys sounds about right. I have re-keyed many, you need a plate or frisbee to disassemble them so you don't loose parts, match the key cuts with the tumblers. Not hard at all.

Best prevention against theft? Leave it three on the tree-nobody under 40 can drive one it seems.....
64fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:30 PM   #13
61K10

you sure are right on the 3 on the tree. learned on one in a 57 chevy pu. Dad wouldn't tell me and my sis where the gears were. we had to figure it out on our own. drove around in 2nd for awhile till we figured it out. back to the key's---on e-bay there is a guy that will make you a key or key's. I gave him my code--made some key's for me.

my build is------------61K10 build
61K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:07 PM   #14
austin60c10

I'm a locksmith sorry I'm a bit far away to help with this, but if your taking the door lock out to get the key code you might as well take the door lock with you and take your working ignition key so that the locksmith can key your door to match they used the same tumblers from 40 something until about 1995. That way you only have one key when you are done.

A
austin60c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:59 AM   #15
bama63

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin60c10 View Post
I'm a locksmith sorry I'm a bit far away to help with this, but if your taking the door lock out to get the key code you might as well take the door lock with you and take your working ignition key so that the locksmith can key your door to match they used the same tumblers from 40 something until about 1995. That way you only have one key when you are done.

A
x2 had mine done charged me 10 bucks
Old 02-27-2016, 06:28 PM   #16
msaenz8

Looking to get a key made for a 1951 chevy 3100 door lock. never had a key. the code on the cylinder is 9119 or 9.119 Called a lock smith he looked up the code could not find it. Anyone have any info for me would be great. Thanks Mike.
msaenz8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:40 PM   #17
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaenz8 View Post
Looking to get a key made for a 1951 chevy 3100 door lock. never had a key. the code on the cylinder is 9119 or 9.119 Called a lock smith he looked up the code could not find it. Anyone have any info for me would be great. Thanks Mike.
this is the guy, locdoc, contact him:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=630654
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote